• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Congressman Calls Oz A Threat

rregtc-etf said:
Currently, Australia is probably the most supportive ally the US has next to the UK.  The support for Iraq from the UK could dry up quickly if there is a gov't change and  Brits pull out, as military planning progresses. 

As far as Australia is concerned, PM John Howard seems to be pushing Australia's military commitments in East Timor and the Solomon Islands.  I wonder if it is a way of
pre-deployment allowing him to say, "Bugger, we're rather tied up with some hard yakka at the moment, s'truth."  The Aussies do have troops in Iraq and Afghanistan but not in great numbers in comparison .

As far as Australia's nuclear ambitions.  It does not have any nuclear power plants, relying on coal fired electricity.  The big concern right now is global warming and climate change, which equals drought and agricultural failure in Aus.  The government is starting to talk positively about nuclear power to reduce carbon emissions,,so it seems that Australia has a desire to take on nuclear technology for civil use.   My question is this, what will happen in world politics when Australia and Iran both state, "as sovereign countries, we want nuclear power!"

On another front, Australia has a low 30 million population,  the fastest growing segment in Australia is the Muslim immigrant community.  So in 20 or 30 years it would not be unrealistic for Australia to be a democratic, nuclear powered,  English speaking, Muslim dominated country.  I wonder if the Americans calculate or plan 20 or 30 years ahead when it comes to national security?

Well I would tend to group Australian desire to have nuclear energy & Canada's on par.  Both being Nuclear powers - yeah sort of?

In international eyes (excluding muslim states) most all countries will have the same warm & fuzzy feeling they have about Canada being a nuclear power....

The majority of countries will not have the same feeling with respect to Iran... which will kick up a row in the muslim states.... again!

Back