• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Confused Feminists

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since feminism seems to be associated with man-hating women (womyn?), maybe those of us who don't fit into that mold should refer to ourselves as equalists.  That way guys can be included (without feeling weird) and we, in some small way, achieve one of the goals of the original feminist movement -- equality between the sexes.

As for the whole UAV thing -- I will NEVER call it an "uninhabited aerial vehicle."  That would infer that I "inhabited" my helicopter, instead of manning the controls to fly it.  Sounds like fun, but it doesn't quite have the same amount of square footage as my house, so I'll pass.

Scarlet said:
Please don't assume that all feminists hate men.
Do you just google feminism and jump in headfirst?

Kyle Burrows said:
Do you just google feminism and jump in headfirst?

I wondered the same thing - 3 posts and all in feminism-related threads.

Scarlet said:
If you're talking about man-hating radical feminists, I'd agree. But I'm not a man-hating feminist, and I'm sure more women who consider themselves feminists aren't either. Feminism in it's purest form is about equality for both the sexes.

Feminism's name, in and of itself, refutes that assertion completely. If feminism was about equality, it would be egalitarianism. The inclusion of the female prefix necessarily assumes that the ideology is gyno-centric. As does the overall agenda of feminism - I haven't heard many feminists decrying female-perpetrated domestic abuse (which, incidentally, occurs at an identical rate to male-perpetrated domestic abuse), which they would if they were true egalitarians. Similarly, I don't hear feminists crying out against negative depictions of men in the media. Nor have I heard any great number of feminists arguing against the favourable treatment women receive in the criminal justice system, family courts, or in reproductive rights. It is focused on the advancement of women, not the establishment of equilibrium between the sexes. Don't mistake the two - the former can continue far past the point of equilibrium and I believe it already has. There are egalitarians which call themselves feminists under the false belief that feminism's end goal is the same as egalitarianism, but I believe the misandrist, "hard core womyn" feminist constituency illustrates the truth behind feminism greater than the egalitarians.

Feminism's "true form" is no different from male chauvinism or misogyny, except that it is readily accepted by society and is the last politically correct form of bigotry, to paraphrase another author. For some reason, people seem to think that because feminism is predominantly female in its constituency, it is necessarily benevolent. The "true" feminism is little more than gender supremacism and, as such, is no more deserving of respect than the Klu Klux Klan or the ideology of racial supremacism which it represents (regardless of how they try to dress it up as innocent "racial pride"). Accordingly, "true" feminists should be held in the same disdainful regard as Marc Lepine, David Duke, or Louis Farrakhan. Claiming to be a feminist, similarly, only serves to A) illustrate one's ignorance of feminism or B) establish oneself as a bigot.

I've been lurking on these boards for a few weeks now, because I have an interest in joining the reserves. But thanks for making a generalization about me based on my posts in this one thread. And for your information, I started a thread in the combat arms about women in reconnaissance.

I find it interesting that you're painting feminism with the same brush stroke as the KKK. Although I won't deny that there have been many radical feminists who may soured feminism for many, your arguments, while interesting, don't have much ground. "Female perpetuated domestic abuse"? Where are you getting this from? And where is your data to  back these numbers up?

I was 15 when I realized that it's perfectly acceptable for a women to make a sexist remark about a man and get away with it, but men can't do the same thing without being called a pig. However, you'll say I'm just saying that for the sake of your argument.

As for women and their treatment in the justice system, courts, reproductive rights...our society isn't perfect, and if it panders to women in many cases (and I won't disagree with you there),  I don't necessarily agree with it just because I'm female. What reproductive rights are you talking about? Abortion? That's a whole new can of worms right there.

You've made a broad generalization of women who consider themselves to be feminists because you seem to think of yourself as an expert on the topic. Funny that.

If you want to talk about misandry in it's ugliest form, read the SCUM manifesto, where the insanely rabid female author argues that the Y chromosome is an imperfect X chromosome, amoung other things:

"Retaining the male has not even the dubious purpose of reproduction. The male is a biological accident: the y(male) gene is an incomplete x(female) gene, that is, has an incomplete set of chromosomes. In other words, the male is an incomplete female, a walking abortion, aborted at the gene stage. To be male is to be deficient, emotionally limited; maleness is a deficiency disease and males are emotional cripples."

Strike said:
Since feminism seems to be associated with man-hating women (womyn?), maybe those of us who don't fit into that mold should refer to ourselves as equalists.  That way guys can be included (without feeling weird) and we, in some small way, achieve one of the goals of the original feminist movement -- equality between the sexes.

"Equalists" would be a more appropriate term in this day and age, since feminism is thought of as that awful, other "F" word :P

But the term 'feminism' was appropriate for it's own time and age. So I'd say a change is in order.

My .02. This post should be locked up. It's not worth arguing over archaic feminist views about patriarchy. Enlightened women don't feel threathened by men. We've burned the bra, got the vote, and now we're in the fucking army. What more do you want?

Yup. We could argue about this for days on end. and no one is going to convince the other.

Scarlet said:
I've been lurking on these boards for a few weeks now, because I have an interest in joining the reserves. But thanks for making a generalization about me based on my posts in this one thread. And for your information, I started a thread in the combat arms about women in reconnaissance.

I made no generalization, I simply pointed out that the 3 posts listed under your "last posts" were all in threads dealing explicitly with gender relations. As such, the inference that you may have come here through a google pertaining to said topic is not without its base.

I find it interesting that you're painting feminism with the same brush stroke as the KKK. Although I won't deny that there have been many radical feminists who may soured feminism for many, your arguments, while interesting, don't have much ground. "Female perpetuated domestic abuse"? Where are you getting this from? And where is your data to   back these numbers up?

If you're interested, I can provide you with the paper this bibliography is taken from. Most have a difficult time believing that domestic abuse isn't an asymmetrically male phenomenon, especially women. The predominantly female class I presented the paper to didn't want to believe it either but it becomes difficult when any methodologically sound study ever conducted on both genders in domestic abuse has found that women and men are smacking each other around with virtually even frequency. There's asymmetry where homicide is concerned, but your general run-of-the-mill spouse-beating is an equal-opportunity sport.

Fekete, John. 1995. Moral Panic: Biopolitics Rising. 2nd Ed. (Montreal: Robert Davies Publishing).

Foo, L. and Margolin, G. 1995. "A Multivariate Investigation of Dating Aggression".  Journal of Family Violence. 10.

Grandin, E. et al. 1997. "Couple Violence and Psychological Distress". Canadian Journal of Public Health. 88.

Greene, Kelly and Marion Bogo. 2002. "The Different Faces of Intimate Violence: Implications for Assessment and Treatment". Journal of Marital and Family Therapy. 28.

Hamby, Sherry L. and David B. Sugarman. 1999. "Acts of Psychological Aggression Against a Partner and their Relation to Physical Assault and Gender". Journal of Marriage and Family. 61.

Health Canada. 1999. Husband Abuse: An Overview of Research and Perspectives. (Ottawa: Health Canada).

McNeely, R. L. and Gloria Robinson-Simpson. 1988. "The Truth about Domestic Violence Revisited: A Reply to Saunders". Social Work. 33.

Murty, Susan A et al. 2003. "Physical and Emotional Partner Abuse Reported by Men and Women in a Rural Community". American Journal of Public Health. 93.

Schafer, John et al. 1998. "Rates of Intimate Partner Violence in the United States". American Journal of Public Health. 88.

Sommer, Reena. 1994. "Male and Female Perpetrated Partner Abuse: Testing a Diathesis-Stress Model". University of Manitoba PhD dissertation (unpublished) cited in: Fekete, John. 1995. Moral Panic: Biopolitics Rising. 2nd Ed. (Montreal: Robert Davies Publishing), 89.

Statistics Canada. 2003. Family Violence in Canada: A Statistical Profile 2003. 
(Ottawa: Health Canada).

Straus, Murray A and Stephen Sweet. 1992. "Verbal/Symbolic Aggression in Couples: Incidence Rates and Relationships to Personal Characteristics". Journal of Marriage and Family. 54.

Straus, Murray A. 1979. "Measuring intra family conflict and violence: The Conflict Tactics Scale". Journal of Marriage and the Family. 41.

I was 15 when I realized that it's perfectly acceptable for a women to make a sexist remark about a man and get away with it, but men can't do the same thing without being called a pig. However, you'll say I'm just saying that for the sake of your argument.

Not at all - I'm no stranger to the fact that there's a helluva lot that women can do that men can't. There are double standards against women as well, but I'd suggest egalitarianism is a better way of pursuing their abolition rather than feminism, which ignores 50% of reality.

As for women and their treatment in the justice system, courts, reproductive rights...our society isn't perfect, and if it panders to women in many cases (and I won't disagree with you there),   I don't necessarily agree with it just because I'm female.

Hey, I can respect that. I'm not saying you're a feminazi - I didn't say all feminists were misandrists, I explicitly allowed for the fact that there are a substantial number of egalitarians misrepresenting themselves as feminists.

What reproductive rights are you talking about? Abortion? That's a whole new can of worms right there.

Indeed it is, but that's part of what I'm referring to. Men are walking wallets where reproductive rights are concerned. Women retain virtual dictatorship where the unborn are concerned. Men are required to deal with the consequences of reproduction, but have no say in its interruption. I'm not an opponent of abortion, but if men are assigned legal responsibilities, they should have some input and inclusion in the decisions which determine such responsibilities. To do otherwise is overtly undemocratic and unequal.

You've made a broad generalization of women who consider themselves to be feminists because you seem to think of yourself as an expert on the topic. Funny that.

Actually, I made two generalizations, given that I subdivided feminism into two constituencies.

If you want to talk about misandry in it's ugliest form, read the SCUM manifesto, where the insanely rabid female author argues that the Y chromosome is an imperfect X chromosome, amoung other things:

"Retaining the male has not even the dubious purpose of reproduction. The male is a biological accident: the y(male) gene is an incomplete x(female) gene, that is, has an incomplete set of chromosomes. In other words, the male is an incomplete female, a walking abortion, aborted at the gene stage. To be male is to be deficient, emotionally limited; maleness is a deficiency disease and males are emotional cripples."

Yes, I've read the SCUM manifesto. Funny that the overwhelming majority of history would seem at odds with such conclusions, but you can't really expect much more from intellectually handicapped bigots with homicidal tendencies. That being said, I believe SCUM is closer to the true spirit of feminism (not identical, mind you) than egalitarianism errantly identified as feminism.

Slim
Serving soldier for 15 years. Served in Armoured Recce.

Why does there always have to be someone who has to start talking about WOMEN IN THIS OR THAT. When I was in I served with other soldiers, Some were men and some were women.

The only people that this issue really matters to are those who sit around griping about the UNFAIRNESS of the world at large. Because I will tell you right now. There are good and bad soldiers in the CF some are male and some are female. Personal plumbing does not enter into it!

Scarlet. You haven't joined the CF yet. My advise to you is to join and go through the training and see what REALLY goes on in the army. Then, if you still feel like someone is treating you unfairly, come back here and complain about it. Does it happen...Sure but the cases are very isolated and more often that not a soldier merritts the type of tratment that he or she receives!

Frankly bringing this issue up in regard to the CF, which is a very progressive organization in terms of the rest of the country, is quite an embarrassment fro those of us who have proudly served.

Now play nice or this gets locked!

Slim
STAFF

Here goes.

Why are so many women (three on this site right now) so bent on proving something?

The questions from these individuals seem to be worded in such a way as to imply that either a) women are not, or previously, have not been able to complete some form training, and that they desire to break new ground and be the first; or b) that the CF is somehow engagning in some sort of discrimination so pervasive and cunning that they will only be able to draw it into the open with a few well palced questions on army.ca.

Give it a break girls. We have had women in cbts for awhile. They have made it into the JTF, the para coys and general officers offices. Wanna break some new ground? Become the first reg force infantry CSM. It will take about 15 - 20+ years, but you will be the first. The only thing women seem to have a hard time with is sticking around, which is why they have not reached the upper echelons of the enlisted corps - yet. So if you want to make a statement, stick it out.

Let me state this again:

In 18 years in the military I have never been treatly differently because I am a woman. Never. Never had an uncalled for comment made to me because I have been female...nothing. I do my job the best that I can. I absolutely hate it when those not in the know profess to know how it is.

If a soldier, sailor, or airman gets shit on...it's because they deserve it. Plain and simple. Sex does not enter the equation. There are some out there who like to pretend or use it as an excuse when being shit on... but that's not the case. Do your job...you'll have no problems.

I speak from experience. The dark ages are long gone.

I have nowhere near the experience of Slim and Armyvern, but with the limited experience I do have, I agree 100% with their comments.

In my short time in the CF, I have never felt that being a woman was a hindrance. Everyone who does their best, does their job and supports the rest of their platoon, gets treated with respect and honour. Those that slack off or don't pull their weight, don't.

IMHO people who have to use excuses are only fooling themselves. No one will ever convince me that women in the CF are not given the same opportunities as men. You achieve what you are capable of achieving and what you set your mind to. If you want it bad enough, and you're capable of performing the requisite tasks, work for it. Nobody is going to stop you because you are a woman IMO.

Of course, if you are the kind of person who needs constant pats on the back, you probably should look for another career. Nobody is going to hold your hand every day and tell you how wonderful you are. You're going to have to buy one of those magic mirrors to perform that duty.

WCTFM?

Ya know, I'm getting really sick of reading all the gender-wars going on right now.  At least this is in Radio Chatter, but c'mon....

Stat

armyvern said:
Let me state this again:
In 18 years in the military I have never been treatly differently because I am a woman. Never. Never had an uncalled for comment made to me because I have been female...nothing. I do my job the best that I can. I absolutely hate it when those not in the know profess to know how it is.
If a soldier, sailor, or airman gets crap on...it's because they deserve it. Plain and simple. Sex does not enter the equation. There are some out there who like to pretend or use it as an excuse when being crap on... but that's not the case. Do your job...you'll have no problems.
I speak from experience. The dark ages are long gone.

OMG!! My bad. I have suddenly come to the realization that I am treated differently than the guys once every year!! They pay me 160 big ones for my bras. Sorry lads, but hey...if you have a problem with that, I think they'll pay for the operation these days!!

Gunnar said:
WCTFM?

Ya know, I'm getting really sick of reading all the gender-wars going on right now.   At least this is in Radio Chatter, but c'mon....

Stat

As am I. If a woman can do it, she sure as h*** can do it - sex does not pre-determine dedication, skill and intelligence (among other things...)

But hey, at least we're not Sweden: http://www.feministisktinitiativ.se/downloads/platforms/political_platform_for_fi.doc

Sorry in advance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back