• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civilians - coming onboard or leaving Canadian warship -

Just for clarification, does point 7c) refer to the quartermaster and OOD paying compliments everytime an officer embarks or disembarks only if they are of higher rank?  or regardless of rank?  I would have thought the former but I don't believe the procedure specifys.

Snakedoc said:
Just for clarification, does point 7c) refer to the quartermaster and OOD paying compliments everytime an officer embarks or disembarks only if they are of higher rank?  or regardless of rank?  I would have thought the former but I don't believe the procedure specifys.

Anytime a commissioned officer em/disembarks, regardless of rank. 

Harley Sailor said:
Very interesting that you should see it that way.  Having stood brow watches for the first 15 of my 30 year career I have never seen anyone cross the brow with a hat on that was not asked to remove it.  If they ever got onboard still wearing their hat the brow watch keeper would later hear it from the Officer of the day.

Being asked to remove one's hat is not what I would picture when I say "much grief".  Presumably the brow watchkeeper was polite about it...

But I am glad to hear that something is said in that situation.

MARS said:
b. when naval officers embark or disembark HMC Ships, it is customary to pay compliments to the ship, in the form of saluting the Quarterdeck (or in NRDs, the area designated as the ‘quarterdeck’ or ‘brow’). Personnel shall pay compliments to the Quarterdeck by facing the direction of the ship’s Ensign, assuming the position of “Attention” and saluting. While in plain clothes, personnel shall face the direction of the Ship’s Ensign and:

This is relatively new; the version I have (from 1999 so getting on in years) definitely does not mention turning to face the ensign.

N. McKay said:
Just in case I'm misunderstanding you, is it customary in the RAN for a member will salute when wearing civilian clothing?

Correct.

When crossing an RAN brow in civilian clothing it is customary to salute.

MARS said:
If I read this correctly, it seems to imply that we should actually be turning to face the ensign. ???  I don't know why paragraph 7(b) starts out with the words "when naval officers..." and then changes to "personnel" in the second sentence, but I take it to mean "everyone".  Not sure how this is supposed to apply to the other elements...

Thoughts?

I had my swearing in aboard the Winnipeg, and whenever the ship's company came aboard the ship, they simply saluted to the direction of the flag, they didn't perform an actual turn. I'm not sure of the regulation implies that, or if it means to perform a turn rather than a paying of compliments in the direction of the flag. The way it's written it might be interpreted either way.

Intelligent Design said:
I had my swearing in aboard the Winnipeg, and whenever the ship's company came aboard the ship, they simply saluted to the direction of the flag, they didn't perform an actual turn.

That was my observation as well when I visited HMCS "Charlottetown".  I also saw an older gentleman in civilian clothing taking off his head gear and pausing for a moment when crossing the brow.

Marinero2008 said:
That was my observation as well when I visited HMCS "Charlottetown".  I also saw an older gentleman in civilian clothing taking off his head gear and pausing for a moment when crossing the brow.

Chances are he was ex Navy

This is relatively new; the version I have (from 1999 so getting on in years) definitely does not mention turning to face the ensign.

Initially I thought this was just a Venture thing as the only people I ever saw doing it were JOUTS. I assume that it is the ceremonial mafia making change for the sake of change. In my far away time as a trainee, it was made clear to me (i think by an AB) that there was no stopping to salute while coming across the brow. I certainly don' t recall a 'turn to face the quarterdeck' move either.
It shouldn't surprise me either, as the manual was re-written at that time to remove the requirement for commissioning pennants from being at the mast of an NRD.

So forgive me as I'm new and just recently applied, but once I'm stationed to a ship - my husband and two kids could come aboard and have a tour?  My 4 year old son would get a KICK out of that! 

Generally yes they can. you will just have to sign them into dockyard and take them to the ship.

Back