• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Civilian Police Officers Joining Reserves

ScottH

Inactive
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been looking at joining the reserves but I have come into some problems when it comes to scheduling my BMQ due to the change of getting hired and having to attend OPC during the summer months.

For me policing is my first choice however I feel that the reserves would something good to work towards to better myself.

Is there anyone on this forum that could perhaps share their experiences of working as a police officer and a reservist (Peel specifically)?
How hard is it for scheduling courses?
Do services work at giving you time off for military service (Specifically Peel)?

ScottH

You should be able to take a weekend BMQ during the fall/winter that might better suit your situation.  There are a number of police officers here that can give more specific insight.  Zipperhead_cop?

Scotth,

Flip me a PM when you get a chance, I haven't been involved with the reserves in many years but quite a few guys in my office have and still are.  What ever I can't answer I will ask them.  And yes we can specifically answer for Peel....if your already on the job flip me an email at work...badge 2087.

:cdn:

There are many civilain police in the Reserves across Canada; many police forces are supportive of their officers serving.  Indeed, there's at least one Reserve Brigadier General with an extensive policing background.

I am not a member of law enforcement, but I would like to offer my opinion, if I may.
First, let me congratulate on your decision to join the police and the CF.
Your full-time job comes first. Graduate OPC, finish your probation, then start BMQ. The corporation or department you work for will most certainly have an HR policy re: military service. As a new P.C., you will likely be on shift work. With some co-operation from your force/service, you should be able to make the occasional shift change.
Your employer will likely look upon an accommodation most favourably if your CF trade is police related. 

For me policing is the first priority but it would be nice to start on the BMQ while I still have some times.
Right now its the 3rd summer course that doesnt cooperate with my schedule.

Thanks, mpitts. As a Police Officer, would you not agree that military service is well regarded by any force?
I know for a fact that army "Bisons" helped to save lives in Toronto during the snow storm ten years ago.

Edited for spelling. 

Support to the Reserves varies from force to force.  Our Department is very supportive and made great efforts to facilitate two of us going overseas to Afghanistan, which for me included the ridonkulous 8 month work up.  I was on tour with a guy from Peel and I believe they are fairly supportive.  There was a time when PRPS was nicknamed "5 RCR" due to their high recruiting of military personnel. 
Now, that being said, things came together for the big deal tour stuff, but in my experience falls short where time off for exercises and courses comes.  Most guys have to blow their annual furlough in order to facilitate enough time off.  My Department does not yet have a short term leave policy in place.  For us, interfacing with the military is actually rather new.  Other places, like Toronto or the OPP where they are so much bigger, may have a better handle on how it works. 
Personally, once I got into policing maintaining a good standing with my Unit was tough.  It always seemed that training weekends fell on scheduled shifts and you can only ask for so many weekends off before dudes start getting bent that you are never around.  So if you are in a leadership position (which you eventually be hopefully) you are left with a tough situation of being in a less dynamic, non-field role.  Which is okay, but some people are less inclined towards the admin end of the military and prefer life at the pointy end. 
Overall, I would suggest that you continue to put your police career first but keep with the reserves.  Someday (well, actually seven years from now) you might want to go on a CIVPOL tour and then you'll be getting a shot at the best of both the military and police worlds.  Just be straight up with your CoC at whatever unit you end up in about how much time you do or don't have.  Chances are you won't be the first LEO that they have had in their ranks and they will be familiar with rotating shifts and whatnot. 
Good luck in both your blue and green pursuits!  :salute:

Things have improved tremendously from when I was in the militia. We received no support. In fact, I prefer not to say how mean spirited Metro actually was on the subject.
I know that, at a minimum, all City of Toronto employees - TPS included - receive: "Leave of absence granted to employees to serve in the Canadian Armed Forces during hostilities, peacekeeping missions, or during a time of war. Seniority will continue to accumulate."
In addition, "Employees can take a leave of absence with pay, for the two week period of absence, to attend the Canadian Armed Forces Reserve Training Program. Employees are paid their regular pay provided they submit any compensation received for military service to the city treasurer, unless this compensation is paid for days they are not scheduled to work. Compensation received for travelling expenses and meal allowance does not have to be returned to the city. All benefits continue during the leave. An employee's service is not affected by the leave. An employee's vacation entitlement, and pension credit do not change."
My interpretation of the bold highlight is that if on a 12 or 24 hour shift, you only work 20 or 10 days every six weeks. It looks like you can keep any pay for "days not scheduled to work".
Things have improved tremendously since the 1970's.

Don't forget there is now provinical legislation in regards reservists/time off, if da bosses give you a hard time thats what associations are for.

Hatchet Man said:
Don't forget there is now provinical legislation in regards reservists/time off, if da bosses give you a hard time thats what associations are for.

Which doesn't apply to essential services as far as I know.  Best go with the honey instead of the vinegar.  ;)

zipperhead_cop said:
Which doesn't apply to essential services as far as I know.  Best go with the honey instead of the vinegar.  ;)

Just checked, it singles out police (not all essential services)  :P  Thats kinda crappy.

mariomike said:
What is disappointing disgusting, is that I don't think military service gets much credit anymore from the recruiters in police, fire and EMS departments. That's big change I noticed.

Like other organizations, it depends on what location you are at.  Some Services are strongly "pro" military, while others are strongly "anti" military.

George Wallace said:
Like other organizations, it depends on what location you are at.  Some Services are strongly "pro" military, while others are strongly "anti" military.

I think I saw the pendulum swing from one side to the other where I worked. Perhaps my original post was too strongly worded, but I noticed along with that change came a gradual slip in discipline that had become quite noticeable by the time I retired. I say "discipline" for lack of a better word. It was a sad decline in respect for the job.

I think it would be cool if Police Officers were MP's in the reserves, but in case of a crisis or natural disaster which would he or she have to oblige to?

George Wallace said:

There are organizational cultures at work, but also personal biases there - like any other sector in Canada, some police officers like and respect the military, and some do not. 

Edit - George Wallace, I recall you speaking on this same topic in a different thread - was it earlier this year or end of last year? 

Greymatters said:
There are organizational cultures at work, but also personal biases there - like any other sector in Canada, some police officers like and respect the military, and some do not. 

Fred Topham V.C. became a Toronto policeman after the war. But they insisted he be a "greeter" at City Hall. He quit - I think before his first shift, and went to work for Toronto Hydro. A very modest local man. I see by his obituary that he lived VERY close to me, but I hadn't heard of him.  He died suddenly on 31 May 1974. I think he was accidentally killed on the job at Toronto Hydro, but I'm not sure.
There is a story about his brief police career in the bottom left corner:
http://img93.imageshack.us/i/topham.pdf/

"After the war, Topham joined the Toronto police force but was prevented from pounding the beat. Friends and family say the chief insisted Topham wear his Victoria Cross and welcome tourists. Devastated, Topham quit the force immediately without having served a day.
A fellow veteran got him a job as a linesman with Toronto hydro. He died from electrical burns following an accident on the job in August 1974."
The date does not match the obituary. The Star reports he passed away on 31 May 1974. It's also on his marker at Sanctuary Park Cemetery.
Cause of death was not reported.
http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/plocal/CTVNews/20041108/victoria_cross041108/20041108/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome

Back