• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Christie Blatchford with 3 Platoon 1 PPCLI

Kirkhill

Puggled and Wabbit Scot.
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone else has posted this yet -  I couldn't find it if they have.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/afghanistan

A great piece with some great pictures.

Great pics!  Thanks for the post.  The Cadpats blend in very well in that environment.  Last time I was in that region the majority were in green..... :o

Right on! the 11th pic is of my old neighbour, Capt. Damon Tedford... nice pics!

*spelling

"The LAV is my shepherd, I shall not want.
She taketh me through the cruel stony mountains;
She leadeth me beside the still waters and the wadis;
She ruineth my arse but restoreth my faith.
She marcheth me through IED Alley, for her name's sake.
Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death
I will fear no evil,
For I am in thee.
Thy big guns and thy air conditioning they comfort me.
Thou preparest a nasty welcome to surprise mine enemies,
Thou anointest my head with diesel,
My cup runneth over.
Surely security and victory shall follow me all the days of this mission,
And I will dwell in the house of the LAV forever."

Very good, clever article. Far better than the majority of the stuff one finds in the press these days.

Blatch always was real people.  She got hired away from another paper when Conrad Black started the National Post, then, somehow last year or so, The National Post lost her to the Globe and Mail.

They kept some of their 'better-off-in-the-Ladies-Section-puffballs', but lost Blatch.

Big Mistake, and one of the reasons I seldom buy the NP as much as I used too.

Tom

That was a great article. I have to admit I always found her writing style a little over-dramatic, but that was very well-written.

:dontpanic:

Loved the flatulence bit... nothing like a good fart joke over Saturday morning coffee!

I thought it was good and that she had gotten considerable insight from her experience and had written it pretty much as it was. Neither approval of the experience or disapproval were evident. She simply wrote a narrative of her trip with the troops.

Christie Blatchford is awesome. When the Airborne was being disbanded, she came up to cover the final days & parade. She wanted to know where she could meet "some of the troops." So I told her, there's this little bar called "Sassy's"........ ;D

The next day she looked like absolute crap. I gather she spent her entire budget on scotch, and shooters for the troops. And she wrote good things about us.......not like that oxygen thief Rosie DiManno, who couldn't even be bothered coming up to Pet, but that didn't stop her from writing all kinds of absolutely negative things about the Regt, troops, Base, CF........

Ms. Blatchford.... will you marry me?
I swear I have aways found her to  be the real thing. An honest to god real journalist

"Push with the cock you have."

I seem to recall riding in M113s that were older than me. However, who knew that all that time watching old Vietnam movies would come in handy when faced with a broken radio......

Yup excellent article and I've been a fan of Christie Blatchford every since she wrote for the Toronto Sun. IIRC she also went to the Balkans in the 1990's. I'm sure I remember a series of articles form her back then.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/LAC.20060328.BLATCHFORD28/TPStory/National/columnists

This is a subsequent Blatchford article. Again, well done!...I think I may have been wrong about her.

I found the part about the Pte. using water bottles to warn off people getting too close to convoys extremely interesting. I read another article (can't remember where) a week or so ago, that mentioned the same thing, but in a negative light, "See how little respect they have for us?" one local was quoted after the journalist witnessed a soldier hit a local in the head with a bottle. May be a differnt guy, though...

It makes for some good, 'out-of-the-box' thinking...too bad something like that can be twisted to suit an agenda.

Not having been there, though, I have to ask....is that wise? Granted, it warns people off, plus gives them something useful (clean water, plus a bottle which has practical uses), but I should think that the temptation may be there to rush convoys in order to score some swag, causing a safety concern.

:dontpanic:

Yuk. Just what would that soldier do if someone threw the bottle back at him or a buddy?

I may not always agree with the inimitable Ms. Blatchford -- most times but not always -- but she has done a stellar job thus far with the PPCLI story.  I think she should be coveted as a national treasure.  She calls 'em as she sees 'em... and 9 times out of 10, she sees (and understands) more than the average mortal.

Did anyone read the article? There was a couple good shots, I think I might have seen ONE tac vest.....

Loved the photo's.  Definitely will show the public that we are working hard in AF.  The boys looked tired. 

I rode up in the same convoy as Christie and we came back at the same time.  She went out with a different patrol than me, but it is eerie to read the story and see the photos having been there at the same time.  The photographer with her was also excellent people.

It is good to have a bit of "ground truth" available to the public throught the efforts of embedded media such as Christie Blatchford.

Cheers,

2B

0tto Destruct said:
Not having been there, though, I have to ask....is that wise?

At least in Iraq with the US army it's either a water bottle or a warning shot, which would a driver prefer?  There are also other alternatives that work better than water bottles - 26mm flare guns, pencil flares, paintball guns, flashbangs.  The problem with a water bottle is that if you can hit someones car with it, they are way too close. If you can hit a car with a water bottle it's near enough to kill you if it was really a VBIED.

Back