• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Changing a jump ruck to 82style?

Jarnhamar

Army.ca Myth
Reaction score
I'm looking for pictures and input on modifying my rucksack.

My ruck is currently set up like a 'jump ruck'.  My magic 8-ball suggests that a reservist without his jump course working with the reg force is a bad idea so i'm switching it back.

I'm planning on attaching the 82 style bag to the top of the jump ruck frame and see if I can get away with that.
Anyone have any tips? (Or better yet pictures if your is set up like this?) The fram is a little short for the 82 bag and valese.

Also, does anyone know where I can buy some padded shoulder staps and/or a waist belt? I've been looking around and haven't come up with much. Wheelers seems a little expensive to me and I can't find a 522 manpack harness. I might butcher a civi backpack but only as a last resort (Since thats what my wife uses while camping)

I would say not to bother trying to make it look like something it is not.  Leave it as is supposed to be.  There are many, who are not Jump Qualified, who for medical reasons or 'other reasons' have acquired these rucks.  Be honest, should anyone ask where or why you have it.

I have a jump frame - infact, I bought the bag for it in the kitshop.  As George said, I don't think you're going to fool anyone by rearranging the bag on a jump frame.

Not really looking to fool anymore - more interested in standing out as least as possible. 
I've actually been questioned on earning the right to wear a jump knife up there (in petawawa) when my knife wasn't even the "jump" knife but the survival knife from Grohmann that I picked up in the RCD kitshop.

Maybe I'll play it by ear and see what happens. I'm still interested in picking up some padded shoulder straps, waist band and back rest if you know of any retailers that would have them?

Well this must be a first; someone who wants to convert something good into a 1982 pattern rucksack....yuck.  I can't help with padded assemblies, but if you want advice on converting a gore-tex jacket into a wool trenchcoat, or modifying the C7 into a Sten Gun, I have coupons at both Fanny's Fabrics and the Canadian Tire Plumbing section...

frankly dude, I wouldn't want to see you change it around. BUT, you may be ordered to get rid of it, depending on the Chain in place at the time. If you are ordered, there are several folks who've managed to fit the crappy stuff onto the good frame, (I had to, when I went from Recce to O Coy). It just involves a lot of 550 cord.

If you aren't ordered to do it, don't. And if any jerk tries to give you grief about having a "Jump Ruck" or a "Jump Knife" tell them that Sheridan Taylor told them to get a freakin' life, and to shut up. It's the same ruck that was issued to the entire CF once. And it's the same knife that Engineers are still issued, among other trades.

Ghost778 said:
I'm still interested in picking up some padded shoulder straps, waist band and back rest if you know of any retailers that would have them?

I've got Tactical Tailor waistbelt and straps on mine - they were made for the Alicepack, so I had to do a little jimmy-job to get it on.  Other than that, Dropzone makes some; it's on their site.

Ghost778 said:
I've actually been questioned on earning the right to wear a jump knife up there (in petawawa) when my knife wasn't even the "jump" knife but the survival knife from Grohmann that I picked up in the RCD kitshop.

Sounds like someone is being an a**hole in order to compensate for the fact that they've had a lackluster career and have a fat wife at home in the Q's.  ::)

Drop Zone has a good padded waist belt and shoulder straps that fit on the 64 pattern, Lightweight Rucksack Frame, or Alice frame with no difficulty.

FWIW I took my completely non-issue 64 pattern ruck on PLQ, (cordura bag, US lighweight rucsack frame)  all the warrant said was, nice ruck.  Where can I get one.  But he was a Patricia, and it was Wainwright.  No idea what the Royals are like.

Matt_Fisher said:
Sounds like someone is being an a**hole in order to compensate for the fact that they've had a lackluster career and have a fat wife at home in the Q's.  
exactly. Insecurity and over-compensation. "Oh no! A dirty nasty Reservist has cooler kit than I do! But I'm sooo much harder than he is! My Mommy said so! Better jack him up so I can look cool, too."
Gay.
All he's doing is advertising his own lack of self-worth, and displaying his own ignorance. It ain't a "jump ruck" and it ain't a "jump knife" and you don't need to "earn" either. Anybody who jacks someone up on those grounds is a putz.

besides, with Ghosty-poo, there are an entire HOST of reasons to jack him up. Why go for things that obvious? I'd start with his face, personally. (Dude is homely!)

I just received the waist belt from Drop Zone a few weeks ago and it appears to be a very well made piece of kit. It is very sturdy/rugged and very "ergodynamic" in its shape, its made for the 64 pattern frame but I've managed to attach it to the 82 pattern frame. I have not tested it in the field yet but I can't imagine having any difficulties with it. Its a bit pricey but you get what you pay for.

Back