• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH-148 Cyclone Progress

SeaKingTacco said:
He was in a class of his own, that for certain.

Cajones AND style!!! :nod:

Sikorsky_Flying_VS300.jpg

So is Sikorsky still in serial manufacturing right now?  I'm assuming we'll continue to receive "unaccepted" helicopters which will later need a standardized upgrade later after they've worked out the defects?

I should post that photo on the ADR the next time I'm on a ship....

"Flying stations, weather decks abaft the hanger are out of bounds...OFF CAPS....ON FEDORAS."

SeaKingTacco said:
There is a lot more to a helicopter than the airframe.

Engines. Gearboxes. Electrical systems. Avionics. Sensors. Safety systems.

All of that needs doing on our Sea Kings.

I get that - but if it's worth it for them to buy, it might have been worth it for us to fix them.  I'm not convinced that the CH-148 will ever be delivered at this point.

Colin P said:
To date, 11 Cyclones have been delivered to the Royal Canadian Air Force, of which three are operated for testing and evaluation.

jmt18325 said:
I get that - but if it's worth it for them to buy, it might have been worth it for us to fix them.  I'm not convinced that the CH-148 will ever be delivered at this point.

For a lot of reasons, I believe that ship has firmly sailed...

suffolkowner said:
There's 4 more in the pipe for delivery this year as well.

None of them are in a configuration that we ordered and paid for.  Are they even usable to us in the capacity we bought them for?  I'm concerned that they won't do the job we need them to. 

Well block two delivery is supposed to begin in 2018. Block 1.1 delivery will continue as will Sea King removal. If the bugs aren't worked out by 2018 we're going to have a problem

suffolkowner said:
Well block two delivery is supposed to begin in 2018. Block 1.1 delivery will continue as will Sea King removal. If the bugs aren't worked out by 2018 we're going to have a problem

That's what I'm worried about.  We don't have a contingency at this point.  The Liberals should never have bought a paper helicopter.

Only eight years to go?  From Sept. 2016:

Cyclone helicopters to reach full operating capability in 2025: DND
Long, tortured story of getting replacement for Sea Kings a 'case study' in how not to do it
http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/cyclone-helicopter-operational-1.3746627

Mark
Ottawa

And that is still a ridiculous (long) timeline.  The Cyclone project is a great study of how NOT to procure...well anything. 

If you want to read up some on a helicopter project that went well, read up on the NH90 NFH (NATO Frigate Helicopter) project that produced not only MH, but Army TacHel airframes as well.

nh90-brochure-2016-6-638.jpg

Eye In The Sky said:
And that is still a ridiculous (long) timeline.  The Cyclone project is a great study of how NOT to procure...well anything. 

If you want to read up some on a helicopter project that went well, read up on the NH90 NFH (NATO Frigate Helicopter) project that produced not only MH, but Army TacHel airframes as well.

nh90-brochure-2016-6-638.jpg

You would prefer the NH90 over the AW101 or Cyclone?

It's flying and has been for some time, and with more than 1 country in the army and Navy/maritime world.  I believe the timeline from concept to the first MH version being delivered was somewhere around 6 years.  So those 4 countries will have common parts, familiarity with the platform (it is NATO, so that's a good thing) and other benefits.  Meanwhile...we are still flying Sea Kings.

I'm no expect but...it likely would have been cheaper and we would have modern MH in the air, now.  Actually, a few years ago.  We don't have a single ASW-capable Cyclone AFAIK.  I can only image the ass-pain the MH aircrew have and will continue to go thru. 

Eye In The Sky said:

Really? ???    The fact that "brochure" is actually in the filename should make one pause and contemplate...

Lessons Learned #1 in aircraft manufacture: Don't put a planned in-service year anywhere in the aircraft's name, i.e. NH90 > NH90+17 = NH2007

The Long, Sad Tale of Germany's Botched Helicopter Buy

...The initial prototype took off on its debut flight in 1990 and, in 2007, the first examples were ready for combat....

:2c:

G2G

Back