• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CH-148 Cyclone Progress

geo said:
Cheez....
Considering some of the shortcomings that Charlie brought up in post 184 WRT the S92 in "current" use by the UK SAR types, it will be interesting how Sikorsky will propose to market same said airframe at Farnborough.... Ya gotta be certain the the RAF will be asking questions ... or making certain that potential clients ask them...

I hear that 007s "Little Nell" and her twin sister are available.....  Rocket launchers, machine guns, mine dispensers, the works....

One article does not tell the whole story. I am not saying that the S-92 has not had problems but the article is not the complete story just as this article is not the complete story.

http://www.ainonline.com/airshow-convention-news/hai-convention-news/single-publication-story/article/norsks-first-s-92-logs-5000th-hour/

Norwegian operator Norsk Helikopter yesterday celebrated the 5,000th fleet hour of its Sikorsky S-92(R) (Serial No. 11) helicopter. The aircraft reached the milestone on February 5, a little more than two months after the Norsk S-92 fleet reached its 20,000th flight hour.

Norsk owns and operates six S-92 helicopters and in 2006 became the first offshore oil operator in the North Sea to reach 10,000 fleet flight hours. “The offshore oil segment in the North Sea is a challenging environment, so to realize these distinct milestones in such an aggressive time frame is truly remarkable,” said Sikorsky v-p and chief marketing officer Stephen Estill. “The S-92 helicopter’s record of continuing availability in the rigorous offshore oil segment is a testament to the strength of this aircraft for this mission.”

Norsk managing director Ivar Eie added, “The S-92 helicopter has demonstrated that it is well suited for its missions. It has performed above expectations.”

Norsk began transport services to fixed and mobile installations in the North Sea in 1993. Sikorsky (Booth No. 1641) is based in Stratford, Conn.

Sikorsky will not have any problem "proposing" the S-92 at Farnborough. Just as Eurocopter will not have problems "proposing" the NH-90 or Augusta Westland the EH-101.

good points h3tacco

lets face it, if a product has a problem, the problem will be identified & brought to everyone's attention.
What a manufacturer does with the problem will determine the product's life span.

We had already been taking delivery of F18 when the media began publishing stories of serious shortcomings and failures - based upon reports from the flight test programme that were a couple of years old, and all such identified issues had long since been dealt with.

A post at The Torch:

Whyever did we buy Cyclone helicopters, or, petting the rotor?
http://toyoufromfailinghands.blogspot.com/2008/09/whyever-did-we-buy-cyclone-helicopters.html

Mark
Ottawa

This is done thru Public Works is it not?

What I have a problem understanding is that Sikorsky put together a proposal, put a $$$ value to the project & signed on the dotted line.  Now, if the proposed prototype cannot deliver the performance contracted @ the price quoted, I truly don't understand how it's suddenly OUR fault & that we have to pay ???

geo: Politics plus an over-optimistic (i.e. unrealistic assessment) of the bid?  I've seen quite a few stories about the gutting of CF procurement capabilities over recent years (not that PW&GS Canada is without fault).

Mark
Ottawa

I'm confused.....no...no...this is not a steady state!!!

Did we order the helicopters, then make changes to the order, etc, and now they want to charge us more for the changes?

No.

Sikorsky wants to make the changes.  It would take way too long here to explain why (even if I understood half of it, which I'm sure that I don't).  But, from their point of view, it probably makes sense.

Me- I'm looking at another Sea King tour that I did not expect to have.  Not that I particularly mind- I'm kind of partial to the old girl.

SeaKingTacco said:
No.

Sikorsky wants to make the changes.  It would take way too long here to explain why (even if I understood half of it, which I'm sure that I don't).  But, from their point of view, it probably makes sense.

Me- I'm looking at another Sea King tour that I did not expect to have.  Not that I particularly mind- I'm kind of partial to the old girl.

Oh...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CH-148_Cyclone

http://www.airforce.forces.gc.ca/site/equip/ch148/default_e.asp

http://www.casr.ca/bg-helo-ch148-cyclone.htm

http://www.rcaf.com/aircraft/helicopters/cyclone/index.php

http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/mhp/cyclone_e.asp

Not really much new in Mr. ugliese's story, some revised dates etc. but give him kudos for at least being a reporter covering  DND things.  He at least tries and he cares, but suffers from the typical modern journalists need to deliver a "gotcha" or imply blame and or wrongdoing.  Normal these days.  Got to create the controversy in order to sell the advertising.  That's their job.

The story below was published 06/08/07 . . .  the bottom line is yes we are paying more, but we are getting a more powerful, more capable chopper, with more room for mission equipment, auto fold rotors and vastly simplified rotor mechanical linkages that will impact the mission profiles and the ILS Life Cycle costs.  Maybe you do get what you pay for. 

Now that would be a good story for a reporter.  They might even have to offer some praise for the Boys & Girls in Blue who make the decisions on these acquisition projects because they are doing the right thing in getting the right tools for their mates who have to operate at the pointy end of the stick, the end where every possible edge in capability makes a very personal, potentially life saving difference.

I'll check the weekend papers to see if my wish list story is printed.  I'm holding out for a page 1, top of the fold headline.

"Sikorsky prepares fly-by-wire S-92 for flight
By Graham Warwick
Click Here

Sikorsky has begun ground testing a fly-by-wire (FBW) flight-control system in its S-92 medium helicopter to support development of the H-92 maritime variant for the Canadian Forces. The company plans to introduce FBW on the commercial S-92 at a later stage.

An S-92 development aircraft has been modified with the BAE Systems-supplied triple-redundant digital flight-control computers, and will be used for flight testing to obtain US Federal Aviation Administration certification of the FBW system. FAA approval is planned for mid-2008, with delivery of 28 H-92s to Canada to begin early in 2009.

The S-92 will be the first civil-certificated fly-by-wire helicopter, says Stan Hunter, Sikorsky's Canadian Maritime Helicopter Programme manager.

Replacing the mechanical control linkages between the cockpit controls and rotor actuators saves about 70kg (150lb) and provides more space for mission systems, he says, as well as improving reliability and enabling advanced flight-control modes.

Control laws for the FBW system come in four categories, Hunter says: basic, flight director search-and-rescue modes replicating the latest S-92's capability, plus mission modes specific to the Canadian H-92 for anti-submarine warfare and other tasks. "Fly-by-wire will allow us to extend the modes and add different ones for the next customer," he says.

The first H-92 shipboard helicopter for Canada is entering final assembly at Sikorsky, and will fly early next year, says Hunter.

In addition to FBW, changes from the S-92 include automatic rotor and tail fold and increased gross weight. The second aircraft, to fly a month later, will be the first equipped with the mission system."

E-i-t-S  -  I have been to all of those web pages several times.  |The info I was looking for confirmation on was that Sikorsky plans to fly one of these before year's end.  ...and a picture of the real thing - not an artists rendering.

newfin said:
E-i-t-S   -  I have been to all of those web pages several times.  |The info I was looking for confirmation on was that Sikorsky plans to fly one of these before year's end.  ...and a picture of the real thing - not an artists rendering.

You can google just as much as we can.........

newfin said:
E-i-t-S   -  I have been to all of those web pages several times.

You asked for a photo of it/them.  What you got is what is out there AFAIK.   

The info I was looking for confirmation on was that Sikorsky plans to fly one of these before year's end.  ...

I didn't answer that because I don't work for Sikorsky.

and a picture of the real thing - not an artists rendering.

Umm, well I work at 12 Wing, but being as there aren't any Cyclone's here yet, taking pictures of them is sort of difficult.  I won't be walking around snapping pictures around the hangers/inner-outter ramp/helipad when they do show up either.

Eye In The Sky said:
I won't be walking around snapping pictures around the hangers/inner-outter ramp/helipad when they do show up either.

Oh, I don't think you'll need to.  When it does come operational, I think it'll be as highly-photographed as the C-17 was. 

Dimsum said:
Oh, I don't think you'll need to.  When it does come operational, I think it'll be as highly-photographed as the C-17 was. 

Yup, and the pictures that come out will be taken by the Image Techs, approved by the PAO or Wing Commander or someone...all approved by 'the proper authority' whoever that maybe...but it certainly isn't me and my Canon.  8)

Now they find out:

Choppers need boost
Ottawa claims upgraded engines for helicopters won’t further delay Sea King replacements

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1087200.html

Canada’s new fleet of maritime helicopters, already projected to be about 20 months behind schedule, are going to need added engine horsepower because they’re heavier than originally expected, says a company involved in the project.

A spokesman for General Electric says the single engines being built for the Sikorsky Cyclones, also known as the MH-92, are going to be "a variation" of an existing design it has worked on over the past few years.

"A more powerful engine . . . is required for the MH-92 because the helicopter is heavier than was intended and, therefore, we are assembling an engine that will deliver more power for the maritime helicopter program," said Daniel Verrault, who represents General Electric, a subcontractor on the project, in Ottawa...

Mark
Ottawa

Looks like another very old news story being recycled for dramatic gotcha purposes.

this is from March 2006

"Modifications needed to meet requirements for series of international competitions

Sikorsky has unveiled the H-92 Superhawk military variant of the S-92 civil transport helicopter and concluded a deal with General Electric to develop the more powerful CT7-8C for the machine as it prepares to again compete against the AgustaWestland EH101 in a series of critical US and international military competitions.

The principal difference between the H-92 and its civil sister will be the installation of twin uprated 3,070shp (2,300kW) CT7-8C turboshafts, offering a 25% power increase over the CT7-8A. GE, under its new agreement with Sikorsky, will make the first engine available for flight testing in 2006 to meet a targeted certification date the following year. The CT7-8C will have more than 80% commonality with the existing engine, but feature new materials and a three-stage power turbine (Flight International, 20-26 May)."

the CT7-8C ??  and the HC article is talking about the CT7-8A1.

Just wondering  . . . .  I'll have to do some more digging later today when I can get a few free cycles.

Here is an actual mock-up of the Cyclone on this link: 

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Canada---Air/Sikorsky-CH-148-Cyclone/1417872/M/ 

Compare the mock-up and the earlier concept pictures.

Back