• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF Uniforms

Bobert

Inactive
Reaction score
I wondering if any of you can answer these uniform questions:

1) Is it true that if you were in one element of the CF and then transfered to another, I read that you keep the same uniform? ie: Navy person leaves regular force and transfers to the army reserve or even reg. force, do they have the option of getting an army uniform or are they stuck with the Navy one?

2) I also read that when the Navy became part of the CF in 1968, NCMs no longer wore the Donald duck suits with the degrading looking sailor hats, instead they were the same respectable uniforms as Officers with different ranks?

3) For a while after 1968 did all three elements really have the same uniform?

Bobert said:
I wondering if any of you can answer these uniform questions:

1) Is it true that if you were in one element of the CF and then transfered to another, I read that you keep the same uniform? ie: Navy person leaves regular force and transfers to the army reserve or even reg. force, do they have the option of getting an army uniform or are they stuck with the Navy one?

2) I also read that when the Navy became part of the CF in 1968, NCMs no longer wore the Donald duck suits with the degrading looking sailor hats, instead they were the same respectable uniforms as Officers with different ranks?

"Degrading?"  My uncle wore one with pride.  *shrugs*  Any uniform is respectable if it represents a guy who just did an honest day's work.

Yes, all three services wore the same uniform after 1968.  Suggest you find old copies of SENTINEL in your local library and study the pictures.  Concentrate on ca 1968 to 1987.

Sorry if you take any offence to that. I just don't think that in a society as ours Officers and NCM should wear different uniforms, dispite traditon. What about the first two question? Thanks any way.

Bobert said:
No. If you leave the Army to go to the  Navy, you trade uniforms. And vice versa.

Bobert said:

If you change trades, from an Army trade, like Infantry, to a Naval trade, like Bos'n, then you will be reissued new uniforms for the new element.

If you are in a purple trade (i.e., one that is employed by the Army, Navy and Air Force), like RMS Clerk, you will be issued a distinctive environmental uniform on joining and wear that uniform wherever you are posted.

Bobert said:

While you may have that opinion of sailor's uniforms looking through a 2005 era fashion lens, it was not so for the sailors who wore square rig, or the ladies who fell for their charms when properly turned out for a run ashore.  The different working environments of the officers and sailors allowed different dress wto evovle and be worn. Also, If I am not mistaken, the square rig was made of cotton and denim, which possessed a natural (though limited) fire resistance, which the replacement CF Work Dress (in polyester) certainly did not.  - Any old sailors lurking that can explain?

Bobert said:

Yes, as noted by Mike D. "CF Greens" were the same basic uniform for all three services, with differences orginally to be in cap badges only, though collar badges and corps/regimental buttons soon returned as did command badges for wear on the breast.

Bobert said:
Sorry if you take any offence to that. I just don't think that in a society as ours Officers and NCM should wear different uniforms, dispite traditon. What about the first two question? Thanks any way.

And there is a major problem with that as well..when I see US or RN personnel I know who is an officer and who is enlisted, when they see me I get saluted sometimes. Instant recognition can be crucial in certain situations.

Ex-Dragoon said:
And there is a major problem with that as well..when I see US or RN personnel I know who is an officer and who is enlisted, when they see me I get saluted sometimes. Instant recognition can be crucial in certain situations.

As an NCM, I actually take pride in the fact my uniform differs from the Officers.  Bobert - I didn't take offence, just found your comment unncecessary.  The Navy League Cadets still wear a similar "costume" and I think they look sharp to be quite honest.  No less ridiculous than a pipe band in full Highland kit, if you don't know the history behind it. ;)  Why do firemen wear red suspenders? ;)

Anyway, hope your questions have been answered, if not, fire away with others.

I do believe that you keep your DEU's from one element to another as you've paid for them.

CFL said:
I do believe that you keep your DEU's from one element to another as you've paid for them.
I never had that option I had to hand my army ones in when I remustered back in '94.

Ex-Dragoon said:
I never had that option I had to hand my army ones in when I remustered back in '94.
CFL is correct. I buddy of mine gave me his DEUs when he became a bosun, last year. He had to then go and get fitted for Navy DEUs. (Do the Navy call them DEUs, or do they have their own name for them?)

We call them DEUs, NO 1As...same as you folks. All I know was when I was being measured for them in Pet I had to give mine back before they would issue me with my naval ones.

maybe it's a Western thang? I've noticed a huge difference in the way CS, CSS, and Civilian Support pers treat the troops out here, as compared to Pet.

paracowboy said:
maybe it's a Western thang? I've noticed a huge difference in the way CS, CSS, and Civilian Support pers treat the troops out here, as compared to Pet.

Possible and it was 11 years ago as well.

Michael O'Leary said:
If you are in a purple trade (i.e., one that is employed by the Army, Navy and Air Force), like RMS Clerk, you will be issued a distinctive environmental uniform on joining and wear that uniform wherever you are posted.

Not true in all cases....  If you are a purple trade attached to a green unit, you wear green despite what you wore before.

dgrayca said:
Not true in all cases....  If you are a purple trade attached to a green unit, you wear green despite what you wore before.

Are you talking about DEU or environmental clothing (combats)?

dgrayca said:
Not true in all cases....   If you are a purple trade attached to a green unit, you wear green despite what you wore before.

I second Mike. This statement is wrong. You wear the DEU you were assigned when you joined. Changing units or commands has no effect. Takr a look at a Regular battalion on parade in DEU: Admin Company will look like a rainbow. The only Army units I know that have everybody in one colour regardless are Reserve units.

Cheers.

pbi said:
I second Mike. This statement is wrong. You wear the DEU you were assigned when you joined. Changing units or commands has no effect. Takr a look at a Regular battalion on parade in DEU: Admin Company will look like a rainbow. The only Army units I know that have everybody in one colour regardless are Reserve units.

Cheers.

Possibly by accident more than design; our Regular Force Fin Clerk for several years wore air force blue.  Our regimental support staff doesn't rebadge, either, so the training warrant officer and adjutant generally wear trousers on parade and the headdress of either PPCLI or RCR.

Bobert said:

"In a Society like ours" - "Despite Tradition", for once I'm at a loss for words (which I could post here).

Back