• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CF To Review How The Families of The Fallen Are Treated

Bruce Monkhouse

Pinball Dude
Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Reaction score
  http://cnews.canoe.ca/CNEWS/Canada/2006/04/27/1553854-cp.html

Military to review emotional policy
By JOHN COTTER

EDMONTON (CP) - Canada's military ombudsman will launch a review next month into how the Armed Forces looks after families of fallen and injured soldiers.

It's a followup to a report released in January 2005 that suggested the military was insensitive and unprofessional in its handling of a soldier's death 14 years ago during a training exercise in Alberta.
The review was not prompted by recent casualties in Afghanistan. But its findings - which could include comments from families who have lost loved ones there - will be timely, ombudsman spokesman Darren Gibb said Thursday.
"Our members have been significantly engaged on the international front in dangerous theatres of operations. This isn't only because of Afghanistan," Gibb said from Ottawa.

Since the training accident, in which the wife of a soldier was informed by phone that her husband had been run over by an armoured vehicle, the Department of National Defence has improved its training and protocol for dealing with families where soldiers die or are injured, he said.
There have been more changes since the report was made public last year.
The review will determine how well the military has acted on the ombudsman's recommendations. It will also look at training programs for officers who must break the news of a death to loved ones and whether families are getting enough grief counselling.

"Very generally we are pleased at the progress that has been made. Certainly there are areas that need work and that is what we are trying to quantify," Gibb said.
The ombudsman will also focus on how the military has responded to recommendations to hold automatic boards of inquiry into accidental deaths with full standing for families.
Details of the review are to be made public 28 days after it is handed to the Department of Defence.

Department spokesman John Knoll said the government has acted on some of the report's recommendations, including providing training for officers who deal with next of kin.
"Things have improved a bit," said Knoll. "I can tell you we have done that to some degree. We have some kinds of guidelines and training."
The protocol for informing military families about the loss of a loved one has evolved considerably over the years.
During the Second World War, telegrams were sometimes delivered to families by railway service agents. The very sight of an agent walking down the street would instill fear in the spouses and mothers of soldiers serving overseas.

In a recent letter to a newspaper, a man recalled watching his mother grab such a telegram from an agent just before he was to knock on the door and hide it in her apron so as not to upset her tea party guests. Only once they had left the house did she allow herself to face the grim news.
Now military officers have strict rules to follow, including a checklist, to best perform what has to be one of the most difficult jobs in the military.
"The death of a service member is one of the most sensitive personal-related events to a unit and its members," state military regulations.
"The responsibility of a casualty-assisting officer is enormous. They are required to devote their time and energy to the needs of the next of kin."

Officers handle and help arrange funeral arrangements, including selecting flowers and music and providing a Canadian flag to the family after the graveside service.
The officers must also provide information about financial benefits and entitlements, including medical and dental coverage.
They are also to help the surviving spouse apply to remain temporarily in their home if they live on a military base.
The ombudsman's office said it has not received any complaints from families who have had a relative killed or injured in Afghanistan.

Sheila Mansell, whose brother-in-law Myles Mansell was one of four soldiers killed by a bomb near Kandahar last week, has nothing but praise for the help the family has received.
It was she who opened the door of her Victoria home at 2:30 a.m. when a uniformed military officer and a chaplain rang the doorbell to break the news of Mansell's death.
Since then, officers have been helping them navigate through the most shattering and painful experience military families ever face.
"It was really comforting to have them here," she said, noting how the officers also stayed with his fiancee, who lives in a basement suite in the home, until the young woman's parents arrived.

"They have come out to the house several times. They have contacted Myles's fiancee every day to make sure she is doing all right. They have been really good."

I think this all depends on who the officer is but it is good to see that someone cares and want to make things right.  I know the assisting officer for the one death in Shilo was golden, can't speak about the other one.

I believe I know the case that was mentioned and was at a memorial for the fallen soldier and the family was still bitter at the army for how it handled things.

I would submit our entire military thinking about support to casualties, whether training or operational, has changed significantly since 1992 ... the ombudsman hasn't been in the papers lately and has decided to latch on to this issue as his flavour of the month ... I'll watch and shoot and wait and see what he comes up with.

Well I know when the boy was hurt the men from Shilo were absolutely great. They phoned three times in 4 hours to check on me and also called after my son did to see how he was. And now if there is anything I need I know that they are just a phone call away and they will do everything in their power to help.

Meanwhile here in Australia, the family received the wrong body of their son who was killed in Baghdad last week. So now two families are under more stress than ever. What a stuff-up, and Defence is not taking the blame, putting it on some civvy contractor firm in Kuwait.

It gets worse, first saying this soldier was shot whilst performing maintenance to his 9 mm Browning, that too has now changed, so a week later, the ADF is mum about the truth, and the people of Australia sense a cover-up. What do I think? well, instead of speculation lets, wait to see what the investigation drums up.

At the end of the day, one of our own has died, a mother and wife and a young family has lost their loved one, and thats a tragedy all in its own. The body was misplaced, and the government refuses to tell the family what happened to their son. In yet another unpopular war, which we are in, yes, again started by someone else.  Wanna know more, try www.news.com.au

Regards,

Wes

Wesley H. Allen said:
Meanwhile here in Australia, the family received the wrong body of their son who was killed in Baghdad last week. So now two families are under more stress than ever. What a stuff-up, and Defence is not taking the blame, putting it on some civvy contractor firm in Kuwait.

It gets worse, first saying this soldier was shot whilst performing maintenance to his 9 mm Browning, that too has now changed, so a week later, the ADF is mum about the truth, and the people of Australia sense a cover-up. What do I think? well, instead of speculation lets, wait to see what the investigation drums up.

At the end of the day, one of our own has died, a mother and wife and a young family has lost their loved one, and thats a tragedy all in its own. The body was misplaced, and the government refuses to tell the family what happened to their son. In yet another unpopular war, which we are in, yes, again started by someone else.  Wanna know more, try www.news.com.au

Regards,

Wes

I think the public and the media (in particular the Aust. Brodcasting Corporation) should shut up and wait to see what the coroner discovers. To shoot off with wild theories is disrespectful and does no good.

cobbler said:
I think the public and the media (in particular the Aust. Brodcasting Corporation) should shut up and wait to see what the coroner discovers. To shoot off with wild theories is disrespectful and does no good.

Mate, exactly. The media these days want nothing but to create friction by twisting the truth how they see fit, as per my para 2, lets do a wait out til the investigation is completed.

To them, the media its all about ratings via contraversy, and the victims are the familes and friends of this poor bloke.

Now I miss Kochie, Mel and Nat. Hope their reporting was better.

Gunner said:
I would submit our entire military thinking about support to casualties, whether training or operational, has changed significantly since 1992 ... the ombudsman hasn't been in the papers lately and has decided to latch on to this issue as his flavour of the month ... I'll watch and shoot and wait and see what he comes up with.

Isn't he just doing his job? Are you seriously alleging he is investigating only to get his name in the newspapers?

ccdec said:
Now I miss Kochie, Mel and Nat. Hope their reporting was better.

You've been watching Channel 7's Sunrise!

Cheers,

Wes

Michael Dorosh said:
Isn't he just doing his job? Are you seriously alleging he is investigating only to get his name in the newspapers?

My opinion, yes. 

Back