• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CEOTP (Continuing Ed Officer Trg Plan) 2003-2018 [Merged]

Status
Not open for further replies.
shit I just recalled, you mean D'entremont, he was from alberta but had a french name, big guy right and in love with his pickup ?

Did you kept contact with other people from the QL3 ??, I kept in touch with Otto, Catherine (little red hair girl) and Wareham, but only for a few months.

Hey collin,
    Ya thats how you spell his name, its been a while, lol. Good to hear your going back in, hope to run into you again. I do keep in touch with a few guys but only Troy Doyle, Jeff Oshier and Aaron Anderson from QL3. When I got to Leitrim we were put on shift and the only people from our course or the course before ours that was on with me was, Troy Doyle, Duncan Allen, Oshier, Archie and desjardins(i think thats how you spell his name). Everyone else was on different shifts so we didn't see much of eachother. Plus at Leitrim you tend to become more shift oriented when it comes to who you hangout with, not to be an ass or anything but just because you spend all your time with them and very little with your old QL3 friends due to working schedules.
As far as you being in aldershot, I was there for my QL3 in reserves infantry for class 9906 in summer of 1999. I liked it there but there is very little to do on the weekends.
I totally agree with you on the age problem. I am not saying that all 18-19 year old soldiers or hopefuls will have a hard time or not like it, but with my experience, I did not realize how good I had it. Good pay, pay every 2 weeks and friends that I was with right from basic training, through to my shift 2 posting in leitrim. So now after spending little over 2 years in the real world with the bad jobs and day to day struggles I realize what a huge mistake I made and am the most gratefull person in canada that I am getting a second chance at my military career.
I'm probably going to be the only person at basic with a smile on his face everyday, lol.
Cheers,
Rob.

Hello all,
    I have done a search and have found no thread for this topic, I know people have individual threads and posts but I would like a way for everyone going CEOTP to have one thread where they can meet lots of people doing the same thing as themselves. I hope there are more people out there that feel this way too, and I hope to hear from you.
I would like to ask everyone who is going into the forces for CEOTP to post they're story so far and progress on your application here. I would like to hear from everyone else going CEOTP because that is what I am trying for and at least on Cape Breton island I am the only one who is doing this. So I would like to be able to hear from and chat with others going in this direction.
Rob.

Well I'm currently going ROTP at the moment, but I have been discussing switching programs with my recruiter.  When I first applied back in November I wasn't even aware CEOTP was an option.  Since I already have 1 year of University under my belt and a 2 year diploma it seems like it would be a better option.  Plus I would be able to begin working right away which is nice, as opposed to having to wait 3 years until I get my degree.

My profession is Pilot and I'm from Halifax.  Also my medical file is still in the hands of the powers that be, and I'm waiting to hear back on that.

For some reason my recruited firmly told me CEOTP was not an option for me. I think he said you had to already have a pilots license or something - I almost started an argument with him about it because I had called another recruiting centre earlier in the week and they told me that CEOTP was an option for me.

/shrug

I'm ROTP now, and I think I prefer it that way.

Can anyone veryify the prerequisits for pilot CEOTP?

Zach

Not open for you Zach? But you are almost accepted to ROTP! You should have no problem with CEOTP. Personally, I think you are better off in ROTP. double if I may, I suggest you stick with ROTP. I know, I know - I am lingering but I saw this and couldn't resist on the way by.

My advice, for what it is worth, but as someone who does part time studies in the civie world, get the degree out of the way in ROTP!!!!!  ROTP is an excellent program. Keep in mind CEOTP is part time so you will have to do this on your time and for a very long time.  Wait for them to let you know if you are in to ROTP or not. Then apply to CEOTP if it is still open should you not be accepted. Believe me, I know what you mean about wanting to get on the job fast but according to many discussions and to what I have read, there is close to a 2 year backlog in the pilot training system (Moose Jaw). May as well get the degree in basket weaving out of the way in that time since you already have a year completed. Yes, you would have to wait on top of that for Moose Jaw but the degree is over with.

Some other factors include pay/benefits and the time you owe back. I guess it depends on how important these items are to you. But for some it is really important.

For pay/promotions under ROTP, upon completion of IAP/BOTC, you are promoted to 2nd LT and receive back pay for your time in St.Jean. CEOTP'ers are OCDT's until they time they earn their wings or are MOC qualified. They are not promoted until that time. You can spend close to five years with that pay but the length of time as an OCDT will depend on how long the line is for Moose Jaw. With CEOTP, You go from OCDT to LT (skip 2nd LT) once you are MOC qualified. During your time as an OCDT, you will be making around $2400/month plus annual increases as time goes on. Not exactly sure; I can't get to the payscales for some reason.

There is also the amount of time you owe in return. I think ROTP is 7 years CEOTP is 9 years. When you start paying that back, (after BMQ or when you are MOC qualified) not sure. For me, I would have been a lifer but not everybody is in it for the same reasons. For example., some have "Big Red" or a civie commercial career on the brain after the CF.

Just some advice from a thirty something guy who has tried a couple of times a couple of different ways. If I could rewind ten years, I would get the degree out of the way and go DEO or ROTP.

Zach, CEOTP requirements are: Basic Pilot requirements + credits that will get you accepted at a university (in a nutshell.)
NO flight time required. I bet that receive a lot of applications from commercial pilots out of work who don't have a degree or those who have an Aviation Diploma and no degree. That is why you may hear of a lot of CEOTP applicants with flight time. The aviation industry is very tough to... for lack of a better term...get off the ground in. CEOTP is a great program for people in this situation.

Ah very interesting post.  I did not know all those facts.  Getting the degree out of the way would definately be nice.  My recruiter doesn't really seem to like the idea of me going to CEOTP either.  I suppose I would be best off sticking with ROPT for now, and perhaps if I don't get accepted, will work on my university degree in the meantime until able to apply again.  Then at that point I'll be up to year 2 or 3, so then maybe CEOTP would be an option then.

And the years I have to pay back is not a real concern, since I see this as a reeeeeeeeeeal long term career.  Why else would I put myself through all this for just a short time?? :)

Well I think I'm about the only guy in Canada it seems going through CEOTP for Infantry. lol

Just a side note about applying for CEOTP should your ROTP application fail. As I understand it you would have to wait for the next round of CEOTP to go through as it would be too late for your application to be changed over for this round. Then again I'd double check that with your recuiting center.

I suppose I would be best off sticking with ROPT for now, and perhaps if I don't get accepted, will work on my university degree in the meantime until able to apply again.  Then at that point I'll be up to year 2 or 3, so then maybe CEOTP would be an option then.

Ya, don't count on it though. CEOTP has only been open when they can't attract enough DEO applicants and they need to fill spots. Not sure if they are going to keep this program open or close it once they have enough 32U's kicking around. You can apply for ROTP up to the final year of your degree I believe so that is an option too.

And the years I have to pay back is not a real concern, since I see this as a reeeeeeeeeeal long term career.  Why else would I put myself through all this for just a short time??

I agree but there are some who see this as a great launch pad to a civilian career later in lfe. A "Free training - build flight time" view.

Oh it's definately a great way to enter any civie career ,with all the training and experience you get.  But personally, I doubt I will ever go back if I get accepted.  :salute:

MikeG said:
For pay/promotions under ROTP, upon completion of IAP/BOTC, you are promoted to 2nd LT and receive back pay for your time in St.Jean. CEOTP'ers are OCDT's until they time they earn their wings or are MOC qualified. They are not promoted until that time. You can spend close to five years with that pay but the length of time as an OCDT will depend on how long the line is for Moose Jaw. With CEOTP, You go from OCDT to LT (skip 2nd LT) once you are MOC qualified. During your time as an OCDT, you will be making around $2400/month plus annual increases as time goes on. Not exactly sure; I can't get to the payscales for some reason.

I had no idea that this is how the pay scale worked. All along I have been told at the recruiting center that I would go up to 2 LT either upon completion of basic or once on the second language training and be back paid to the date of graduation from basic. If what you say is true, and i'm not saying it isn't, I think I should go into the recruiting center tomorrow to straighten this out.
Thanks for the info.
Rob.

Former291er, have a look at <a href="http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/41060.0.html"> This thread</a>

In particular, look at Zoomie's post (he is an experienced Buffalo Pilot with 442.) I quoted his posts in regards to CEOTP salary questions below. It seems several of us were not exactly sure on how the pay worked for CEOTP. He was able to share some info on CEOTP with us since he has previously worked with Pilots who were accepted through CEOTP.

CEOTP pilot candidates remain Officer Cadets until they graduate advanced flight training - where upon they will be insta-promoted to 2Lt and Lt all in one fell swoop.  I joined the CF in Oct 1999 and graduated  advanced flight training in Jan, 2004.  I did not attend RMC during this period of time, that is how it takes to train a CF pilot.

So... You will be an OCdt for a long time - it pays to have your degree before applying.  CEOTP was initially designed for 18 year old high school graduates who would think that $20,000/year was lots of money.  This plan does not help the single income family - you will be able to get by, just don't think about buying a boat in the near future.

Zoomie also shared some info regarding CEOTP in <a href="http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/18307.0.html"> this thread </a>

A buddy of mine is in his mid-forties, and he just finished up his Pilot training.  For the entire four years that he was undergoing training (not University - just training) he was supporting his wife and daughter on OCdt's salary (which is not much).  I found it challenging making it through my four years of pilot training as a 2Lt.  Unless your wife is pulling in some good coin, you will be living pay cheque to pay cheque.  Heck, I am still doing that now as a 1st incentive Captain (pilot).

You must be prepared to take the lumps when you join the CF with dependants.  You will not be paid a sufficient salary for quite a few years in order to support a family.  Not to dissuade you, but be prepared to cut coupons, go without and live in military housing <not too bad> while waiting for those coveted wings.

So don't let age be a factor in your decision.  Your lack of a degree is definately your largest road-block.  If CEOTP is closed, you need to have at least a 3 year degree from an accredited looniversity

As you can see, he is really a great resource for wannabe pilots on the site. Hope this info sheds some light on CEOTP for you.

I've posted this elsewhere as well. But in accordance with suggestions above, I'll post here too.

I'm going CEOTP Pilot.

Here is an update on myself for those of you looking for an idea of what is going on.

I sat down with a MCC at CFRC today and they informed me that there is a problem with my offer, having to do with conditions of rank/promotion/pay etc. Because of my education and backround, I am entitled to certain items not expressed in my offer.

I've informed the recruiters if they can't get this things fixed (I won't go into details, but they ARE signifcant) I will have to reject the offer. They have told me (off the record) that would be a prudent course of action as the errors are due to oversights with involving CFRG, not myself, and that the errors are significant enough to warrant a rejection.

I should know more by tomorrow.

Thanks for the post MikeG, lots of good information with the link to the other post. It would really be hard trying to get by for 4 years with a wife and daughter making under 3 grand. I am going into the recruiting center tomorrow before the gym to ask if the captain can dig for some  solid information on pay for CEOTP. Also I am looking into the IAP bypass. I have already done basic training so I am interested to find out if I have to do this. I also have leadership backround as I was in charge of TT3 when I was in leitrim and also HFDF when I was in it. I'll post whatever I can find out.
Rob.

No prob. Its great that people like Zoomie take the time to share that hard to find info.

Just as a quick note concerning a waiver of IAP.  CFRG doesn't seem all that interested in considering job related supervisory experience as something that will waive your having to attend IAP.  They will grant you an excemption if you are already qualified on PLQ (former JLC/JNCO).  If you've completed this course then you can go straight to your BOTP. 

As an aside, you should have stuck with the job and gone UTP instead of CEOTP or ROTP.  It's pretty sweet hanging out at university on a Masters salary.... ;D

SweetNavyJustice said:
As an aside, you should have stuck with the job and gone UTP instead of CEOTP or ROTP.  It's pretty sweet hanging out at university on a Masters salary.... ;D

Yes, I hear ya. I know that now, but as they say, hindsight is 20/20. lol. I missed an opportunity but this CEOTP is one I'm not letting go of. Whether it is for pilot or some other trade if I don't qualify for pilot.

Well I went to the recruiting center today with less than a straight answer that's for sure. So here are the answers I came away with when asking, when does a OCDT joining under CEOTP get his first promotion?
1. You will get your 2Lt upon graduation of basic training or shortly thereafter.
2. You will get promoted to LT after phase 3 of your training, basic flight school.
3. You will not get promoted until you are moc qualified but you will be put up to the rank of Captain.

So needless to say that doesn't really help. I also got no response as to what it takes to be excused from the IAP of basic training. Maybe if there are some recruiters on the board they might be able to get better answers to these questions.
I know kincanucks, I think is his name, is a recruiter and might know the correct answers. So if kincanucks reads this, please straighten us out.
Thanks Rob.

I am sure if you went across the country, you would receive manily two different answers. One for the typical pilot promotion, the other for CEOTP OCDT's. I guess you have to read the offer should there be one and if it is contained in there. Personally, I am going with Zoomie's response. Good luck & thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back