• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cenotaph/Memorial Vandalism/Solutions-Laws (merged)

E.R. Campbell said:
From Parliament: Bill C-217, making it a Criminal Code offence to damage war memorials, passed 3rd Reading in the Commons, 181 to 98, with the NDP opposed.
OK is it just me or does this say the whole NDP Party to a minister went against this bill? and what was the reason?

The NDP has 100 members, I'm guessing a few were absent and the other 90+ opposed the motion. I don't know how Elizabeth May, the four BQ members, and the two Independents voted.

I think a wee chat with my NDP MP this Nov 11th after he lays the wreath is now in order.

Danjanou said:
I think a wee chat with my NDP MP this Nov 11th after he lays the wreath is now in order.
I agree wholeheartedly. my area voted one in at both levels

All the independents, whose parties we are not required to name, voted for C-217

E.R. Campbell said:
From Parliament: Bill C-217, making it a Criminal Code offence to damage war memorials, passed 3rd Reading in the Commons, 181 to 98, with the NDP opposed.
Have tried to find who voted in the benches of the opposition without success in the HoC website.  Is that the right place to look?  I'm curious if Peter Stoffer voted, Nay.

The Hansard from today will not be available until tomorrow afternoon; it will provide the definitive answer.

While I still believe that it's a wasted law, NDP opposition isn't remotely surprising -- a large number of their supporters can only express themselves through spray paint.....and it's their "right" to vandalize others' and public properties.

E.R. Campbell said:
The Hansard from today will not be available until tomorrow afternoon; it will provide the definitive answer.
The transcript from today's debate will be ready tomorrow, but those keeners behind the scenes on The Hill already have the Journal report done for today's debate, including who voted which way - see attached.

Joe Comartin and Brian Masse both voted no. They are the first two to push their way to the podium on Remembrance Day. They are the local Federal guys.

For two years Comartin's name has been called and he's not there. He doesn't show up after accepting the invite.

Masse tells the same story every year, about sitting around the table with his Vet grandfather. We time his speech. It doesn't change. He goes through motions and doesn't care.

Both these guys show up in the armouries. The JR's ignore them, the WOs & Sgts ignore them.

No one talks to them. After this vote, I'm going to encourage our younger members to ask them for their views and why they fail to respect the sanctity of our memorials.

recceguy said:
Joe Comartin and Brian Masse both voted no. They are the first two to push their way to the podium on Remembrance Day. They are the local Federal guys.

For two years Comartin's name has been called and he's not there. He doesn't show up after accepting the invite.

Masse tells the same story every year, about sitting around the table with his Vet grandfather. We time his speech. It doesn't change. He goes through motions and doesn't care.

Both these ****s show up in the armouries. The JR's ignore them, the WOs & Sgts ignore them.

No one talks to them. After this vote, I'm going to encourage our younger members to ask them for their views and why they fail to respect the sanctity of our memorials.

That's, F******* sad. I can just see them now, voting down this bill... but let's say a Jack Layton memorial was vandalized... or some BS granola-hemp-tree-hugging-memorial is even spotted with a piece of litter next to it (blown in halfway across the country), they'd order up the guns.

I just... WHY.  :mad: (loss of words)

I think we are the only remaining civilized country that does not have any laws the protect the vandalism of the memorials dedicate the men and women who have made the ultimate sacrifice. No, scratch that, even uncivilized countries have better respect for their war dead and memorials.

These douchbags vandalizing  cenotaphs and memorials don't bother me as much anymore-in a way I'm actually glad.

In my opinion the anger and disgust most people express over this disrespect move them to remember the sacrifices paid much more than just throwing on a poppy every November. Its easy to pass these stone monuments everyday and start to forget what they stand for.
I'm glad it makes the citizens we defend so angry.

milnews.ca said:
According to Hansard, no debate yesterday, just the vote.

Correct; it was 3rd reading - debate was possible, it's always possible, but, normally, 3rd reading occurs after debates in 1st and 2nd readings and after debates and votes on amendments in 2nd reading and after committee review so debate is, again normally, pointless.

E.R. Campbell said:
Correct; it was 3rd reading - debate was possible, it's always possible, but, normally, 3rd reading occurs after debates in 1st and 2nd readings and after debates and votes on amendments in 2nd reading and after committee review so debate is, again normally, pointless.
I stand further educated - thanks for that.

jollyjacktar said:
Have tried to find who voted in the benches of the opposition without success in the HoC website.  Is that the right place to look?  I'm curious if Peter Stoffer voted, Nay.
Apparently he did.
What up with that??

jollyjacktar said:

http://openparliament.ca/ is a good alternative to the recently closed http://www.howdtheyvote.ca/.  Details on this particular vote are here - http://openparliament.ca/bills/votes/41-1/487/