• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CDN Army Ceremonial Swords

• Thread starter Thread starter MAJOR_Baker
  • Start date Start date
Sherwood,
Thx. Didn‘t know they were there. May have to take a Saturday and drive over for a few hours.

Sherwood, I know you‘re working hard at being a complete piece of s hit and all, but you were given several highly detailed answers to your questions, the least you might have done was offer a word of thanks instead of going on to talk about yourself some more.

But I guess that would only highlight the fact that you have "never seen it done before" despite the fact that swords are de rigeur for ceremonial functions in Canada.

Have not read the whole article, but from what I have glanced at seems to be right. I had a history teacher who was a major collector in historic weapons; he had everything from atlatls to maxim machine guns (brought them into class too). I learned allot about swords and metallurgy from him. :)

BTW do you take your swords home with you, or are they kept in the armory?

Originally posted by S_Baker:
[qb] Recce Guy,

The swords I was talking about are made in Toledo OH. See link

US Army Sabres [/qb]
A Sabre is another weapon worn by the Cav. Officers
A sword is worn by Foot Soldiers.
A totally different design in weapon.
Same as the Cutless.

Sabres where designed to slash from upon a horse when in a charge against Foot where as a Cutlass which the Navy use was also was designed with in the same i.e. a quick attack
There is the differance between the sword,sabre and cutlass

P.S. STOP THE SLAGGING!!! :mad:
If you can‘t answer with out be demeaning then F‘OFF :mad:

We are all Brothers in Arms!!

Yes Man,

Swords (or sabres for the Armour Corps officers) may either be property of the unit or acquired by individual purchase. Those owned by the unit may be kept at the unit or may be signed out to individuals for their use on ceremonial occasions. Personally acquired swords are kept by those individuals at home. Ceremonial swords are not treated as weapons for storage purposes.

Sorry to jump in... any one know where a CF sword/sabre could be purchsed in toronto? GTA?

Thanks, looking for one as a gift to a Chief.

I don‘t know if anyone in Toronto stocks them. For the standard pattern for line infantry regiments you can try the Royal Canadian Regiment Kit Shop in London, Ontario.

http://www.rcrmuseum.ca/html/kit_shop/

It‘s on the Kit Shop price list for $860. And don‘t forget the sword knot for another $26. The sword belt, if required, is another $185.

Concerning Canadian Forces Patterned swords and scabbards, please give us a call or contact us at:

William Scully Ltd. (1877)
2090 Moreau
Montreal, Qc.
H1W2M3
ph:514 527-9333
f: 514 521-5942
sales@williamscully.ca

I can supply Officer swords for the Infantry, Air Force and Navy. These are DND issued swords.

Very best,
Will Scully
VP

Originally posted by Wm Scully:
[qb] Concerning Canadian Forces Patterned swords and scabbards, please give us a call or contact us at:

William Scully Ltd. (1877)
2090 Moreau
Montreal, Qc.
H1W2M3
ph:514 527-9333
f: 514 521-5942
sales@williamscully.ca

I can supply Officer swords for the Infantry, Air Force and Navy. These are DND issued swords.

Very best,
Will Scully
VP [/qb]
WOW even better!!!!

Another Toronto source for Infantry swords, Cavalry sabres and Highland Claymores is David Hiorth at Sgt Bilko Trading. No address available at the moment. He imports good quality German swords and supplies many to DND.

And yet another source of military swords is through Wilkinson in the UK.
http://www.wilkinsonsword.com/uk_swords/army.html
Their website doesn't show their entire range of British/Commonwealth swords, but if you request a brochure they'll send you information on their entire line.  They're not cheap though, but if you're looking for something that you'd be proud to pass down as a family heirloom, these are the ones to get...

Upron promotion to Corporal and having the $1000US that I can spend I'd love to get myself their Marne Non-Commissioned Officer's Sword
http://www.wilkinsonsword.com/us_swords/usmarine.html#NCO

When you purchase a Wilkinson sword, you purchase a piece of history.  The company has been around over 200 years, and has supplied swords to all three branches of the UK armed forces, as well as several Commonwealth armed services, and even the United States Marine Corps.

My uncle, a (now retired) Lieutenant Commander in the Royal Navy, on receiving his sword from the family collection, shortly after graduating BRNC Dartmouth in 1967, took his Naval pattern Wilkinson sword back to the manufacturer for restoration.  They were extremely exciting to have this sword back and be given the opportunity to restore it to its original condition.  They checked their records carefully and confirmed that this sword had originally been given to my great-grandfather in the 1880s, who arose through the naval ranks to become a Paymaster-Captain (a rank that no longer exists).  It was dutifully restored and my uncle carried it on ceremonial occasions throughout his naval career.

Sadly, I never joined the Royal Navy, or the CF navy, and so I doubt the sword will ever be given to me during my uncle's lifetime.

Wilkinson sword does make Canadian Forces pattern swords, and although they are very expensive, as I said, you are buying a long lasting piece of history. They service everything they sell and are probably the leading experts in the Commonwealth at swordmaking.

Will I, as a MARS officer, ever be issued/awarded a sword by the CF?  Or is this something one has to buy now that they are not official weapons anymore?  I was under the impression that (at least RMC) officer-cadets got a sword upon commissioning.

They get a sword to carry on Grad Parade if they are Top Students.   They may be awarded a Sword (note: trophy for Top Student or some other significant accomplishment), but they do not get to keep it.

The CF has an inventory of Swords in various "Stores Locations" which are issued out by the Supply people for use on Parades and then retrieved.

Swords are not given by the CF, to any CF members to keep.   A Unit may purchase a sword and present it as a gift to someone with money that the members of that Unit have collected.   No Public money is spent to present 'you' your own personal sword.

If you are a member of a Unit, you may find that for some special occasion they may make a plan to purchase swords.   My Regiment celebrated its' centennial in 1983 in Germany and we were allowed to purchase one of the "Centennial Swords" for DM 500.   They also celebrated the 100th anniversary of the Boer War with a similar purchase.   One of those swords will range in the price of $500 today.

GW

Hey every1.
    I know that there are a few people out there lookin to buy swords. Now there is one guy in st. cathrines On. who sells military accutraments and does sell Canadian Forces swords. Now any of you people out there owning a wilikinson sword knows how expensive they are. Outragious...very nice swords though; however, some people dont wanna dish out that money and there is an alternitive apparantly there is another company selling Canadian Forces swords i dont however know the makers name but will find out and post it, as for the dealer in St.Cathrines he is, Coghlin and Upton Military Accutrements.

email. admin@coghlinandupton.com
and website at. www.coghlinandupton.com

Great place to check out if you live by the store. I have been there quite a few times and I've always been impressed with the service. .

cheers. :salute:

Hello again.
    It seems the maker of the sword is Coghlin and Upton and they have swords in stalk. An infatry sword is $400 rather then the $700+ you'd spend on a wilkinson and they are the exact quality. Also wilkinson moved its sword making facility to India and although they are an English company there swords are in no way better manufactued then Coghlin and Upton. As well Coghlin and Uptons military swords contain "the Star of Damascus" that sorta Star of David star with a bronze disc in the center mark on it, which is a proof mark of distiction found on swords of high quality workmanship. Coghlin and Upton also are DND suppliers so it is 100% ragulation and recognized as a Canadian Forces sword not a cheap replica of something found on a movie somewere in Hollywood. Thats just a little bit of comparing I did myself on the two companies. I thought I'd open up a few more doors for those of you who are about to invest in a sword for your uniform. Best of luck to all of you out there buying a sword.

Cheers  :cdn: :salute: 

quote]All swords worne By Officers are all Wilkenson.

Actually, for may years we bought Solingen from Germany: i know a number of officers who bought them.

On the issue of WOs/NCOs carrying swords, I know that in the RRegt C when I was Pioneer Sgt I carried a British Pioneer Sword drawn on parade when we were in our 1885 ceremonial dress (short, thick blade, sawteeth, heavy knuckle guard rather than a full basket.) I believe the Pioneer Sgt in the QOR0fC also carried a sword on parade. Our Drum Major, RSM and DSM also wore swords.

In some units I believe All Sgts Maj carry swords on parade, and in some units such as 2 RCR the Battalion DO wears (or wore...) a sword o n duty.

Cheers.

Back