• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CBC's The Border

C

CrazyCanuck

OK checked around and there didn't find a topic on this but do what you do if there happens to be one.
Firstly yes this is CBC so I will not bother myself with saying anything of the usual as there are people who enjoy it far more than me.
Secondly as to it's entertainment value I'd rate it as decent.
Now to the point: blatant American bashing that I grew tired of rather quickly, there was no need to incorporate the American agent into the show it would have been better off with just the Canadian characters. In the first episode there is no end of the CSIS bashing and seems to say to me that the CBC believes it can make a better intelligence Agency than the gov't. It was also not throughly researched or produced as during the third episode a group of supposedly JTF2 commando's was referred to as a 'squad' (unless that is what they are actually called in JTF2) and while the character spoke of F16's being scrambled the video shown was clearly of F15's.
I may continue to watch the show simply for the hope that it will get better... or just because...

And can anybody clarify on what they meant in the third episode with "All our CFB jets are supporting your war on terror" as to CF18's (I'm assuming) being unavailable. And yes as I heard it it was "CFB"

Any other comments?

http://www.cbc.ca/theborder/watch.html  here's the show online in case you are wondering ...

CFB in the military context --- Canadian Forces Base. AKA "Wings" in Air Force speak.

But, I can't confirm that's how the CBC meant it as I didn't see the show.

ArmyVern said:
CFB in the military context --- Canadian Forces Base. AKA "Wings" in Air Force speak.

There was a show?  About the military?  On CBC?

Somehow, I missed it.

ArmyVern said:

Ya it almost seemed like it was in a different context.

I had trouble just sitting through a preview of it during a different show

Tonight's episode has "disgruntled" Airborne soldiers involved with arms smuggling.  Curious on how they will do this one.

As for previous shows:
WEAPON DISCIPLINE FOR ALL THE CHARACTERS HAS BEEN AUTROCIOUS!

:rage:

Let me sum up my thoughts about the series in one word:

Lame.

I was wondering if this would come up. ;D

Yes, It's prime time crap meant distract the masses.
Even I spotted some the glaring errors mentioned, but you know what?

It doesn't matter.

What's depicted is a Canadian version of the sophisticated
tough guy image that frankly we're not used to.

I think it's vitally important to get Canadians used a new
more assertive self image. Sadly JTF2 didn't come off looking
too brilliant - the customs official actually caught the bad guy.......

Still as a Canadian version of "24" or something like that - I call it progress.

Actually - my preference is "Intelligence"  ;D

My official rating for this show: 5/10. A solid "Meh."

Blatant anti-Americanism (to be expected from the CBC.) The American agent is made out to be the uncompromising, rude, and never calm and collected, unlike Mr. Canada, who is all fluffy bunnies, Skittles, and rainbows. Mr. Canada also saves the terrorists from the evil Americans by refusing to send them to Club Gitmo, therefore encompassing all that Canada stands for; compassion, caring, and rabid hatred for our southern neighbors.  ::)

When I first heard that CBC was doing a 'drama/action' of their own, my first thought was: "Alright, how long is this one going to last?" (Most Canadian TV shows haven't usually turned out too well, save for Due South of course, thank-you kindly.)  After I found out the show was going to be called "The Border" I wondered what they were going to do as for story lines. Were the writers planning on taking the Canada U.S border and making it look as though we have oodles of terrorists with nukes popping out their wazoo's trying to get into Canada?

I was never really a big fan of shows like 24 because quite frankly the thought of a nuke destroying an entire major population center doesn't leave any amount of realism in the show. After watching The Border last week, I also got tired of the American bashing, and their lack of effort towards details (like the F-16 turned 15) really turned me off from the show.
The American bashing really didn't surprise me. I expected to hear some of that since the show is a CBC production. My thought on the CBC are this simple: Lose any bias, or face the consequence of having tax payers funding dry up and have the station dry up along with it. (As long as CTV can get the rights to Hockey Night in Canada)

As for entertainment value.. I'd actually rate is as one of the better shows to come out of Canada. Due South and Corner Gas are pretty much the only scripted Canadian shows I watch. I will probably watch it when I see it listed (pending it's a new episode), but I won't go out of my way to make time for it.
T.V is T.V I guess... but I wish there could be shows like McHales Navy, Hogans Heroes, and Gilligan back on again. Shows that were made purely for entertainment, and not to scream foul on how a company feels about political policies.
Meh. *shrugs* I think I'll go watch said T.V shows on DvD now.  ;D

Midget

I watched about 10 minutes of the first show, avoided it ever since.....not worth the time of day

Well just watched the one on tonight...
Funny enough what pissed me off most was that the soldier in the beginning was not wearing any headgear, his collar seemed to be flipped up, and he didn't look to be wearing any rank... there's no way that guy did basic...

Every picture of every guy in a beret looked like Benny Hill.

I've given up criticizing berets in any media production be they TV or a movie, it's just endless

Boater said:
Well just watched the one on tonight...
Funny enough what pissed me off most was that the soldier in the beginning was not wearing any headgear, his collar seemed to be flipped up, and he didn't look to be wearing any rank... there's no way that guy did basic...

To be fair, he was travelling from a training area, in an open topped vehicle, the guy wearing the bush cap is the odd one out, (Trust me I take my headgear off every time I have to travel any distance).  As for the weapons discipline, sure some of it's crap but what do you expect from civi's really. and the comment on the show about fighting "your war on terror" believe it or not there are some Canadians out there who truly believe that, so probably realistic, The anti-CSIS comments I've got one, my security clearance has been updating longer than it was current, now I know why. Still for a CBC Show slightly above average i give it a 5.5.

Well I decided to give it another chance last night - and yet again I find myself unable to sit through the whole preview, but I did manage to make it through 22 seconds of the 30 sec spot!

Watched the whole thing last night. I think I'll continue to watch it just for the laughs. Heck its better than watching reruns of THE UNIT.

Heck its better than watching reruns of THE UNIT.

But I dont mind watching reruns of NCIS for  a view of Zeva DevilleDavid. >:D

Flip said:
But I dont mind watching reruns of NCIS for  a view of Zeva DevilleDavid. >:D

Hey Zeva ain't the only eye candy on ther. Lauren Holly is still kind of hot for us old farts.  8)

Actually NCIS is one of my guilty pleasures even in reruns. As for the Border I lasted about 2-3 minutes.

Back