• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Car insurance expired during Basic Training

armychick2009 said:
Also, another reason I thought that he may need to do this... my ex twenty years ago applied to the army based out of the Sudbury office. When his service is done, they will pay to move his crap back to the Sudbury area or keep it in the area he retires at. However, he's from Timmins (five to 7 hours north of Sudbury).  I was considering that as well... he can't change where he was recruited from, you know? (Does this make sense? It's how my ex explained it to me...)

You're talking about IPR, or Intended Place of Residence.  Simply put, if you release with 10 years or less, you're eligible for a move back to your place of enrolment (or anywhere else, so long as it's no further than your place of enrolment).  If you release with >10 years service, you get a move anywhere in Canada.

And, the "leaves or whatever"... I was referring -- for example, those with BMQ that spans over the Christmas holidays -- is that kind of travel not covered? I may be wrong, I haven't got there yet. But I know my friend who lives out in BC, certainly could not have afforded a flight home for 3 weeks... would this be counted as their once-a-year Leave Travel Assistance? And, is this travel not meant to go to where you were recruited? Which is more often than not, where your NOK would be located at?

LTA is to assist with travel to the location of your Primary NOK (or them to you, in the case of reverse LTA).  Place of enrolment has nothing to do with it.

BobSlob said:
My suggestion, before you go and commit insurance fraud is to call "The Personal" insurance company. They were recommended to me by my old insurance company when I was posted out to Winnipeg as they have the experience of dealing with military members.

You're not the first person to have this issue, but I'd hate to see you get in a bad accident have the insurance company cancel your policy because you lied.

As Hogwarts headmaster Albus Dumbledore said, there will be times that you will have to choose what is right or what is easy.  I never have any intentions to commit fraud.  The source of my problem is my nomad condition in Canada, where I don't have a place I can call home and insurance company policy regarding address. 

I guess I will need an insurance to protect me against insurance company.  ::)

Peace everyone!

Such a simple situation and you are turning it ino the complexity level of the Normandy invasion........

Or, renew your insurance now, therefore your current license, tag, and address are legit.  Go to St Jean and keep your gob shut.  The  MPs for the most part are pretty savvy, and understand that the Mega is not your residence, it's basically a dorm room for a short term.  As long as license, reg, insurance, and tags are current, I'm sure you'd be 5x5.

Back