• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cap Badges

RetiredRoyal

Inactive
Reaction score
Is it a national thing that the base tailor at supply does not carry cap badges and we are asked to purchase our own?

They're an issue item for serving members IIRC.  But, as retirees, I would expect that we would have to purchase our own.

i'm a class A reservist now. I wanted to get cap badges put on my new beret and wedge.

Ah!  Gotcha.  I just went by your profile.  Sorry.

But, yeah, to my knowlege they should be issue.  The only purchase ones I've seen were for Ruperts.  They could wear either the issued ones (that didn't look quite as sharp) or purchase these other ones from the regimental kit shop (big hint, hint, from the Adjt).

Maybe talk to the CofC, because making a tradesman purchase the cap badge seems silly.  In my experience, clothing stores would give you the cap badge, and the base tailor sewed it on.  If one went directly to the base tailor, then you might get an odd response, because they just sew the things on - not supply them for everyone.

But, maybe someone currently serving and in the supply system could give an authoritative answer.

Vern?

Vern?

You out there Vern?  :D

I know, out here in Victoria, they are having some pretty severe shortages on the navy cap badges, so those that are needing them are having to resort to buying the "fancy" version if they want one.

The cap badges will come in and are gone pretty fast....not enough of a supply to cover the demand.
Not sure if it is the same for all three elements...

It depends on the branch/trade regiment but seeing as you're a series 500 trade it shouldn't be an issue, unless of course there exisits, as with MS and Below in Victoria for some reason, a shortage. (sorry bout that Springroll but the shortage only exists out west, in fact Halifax at last report had about 10,000 of them) I can check in supply here in Shilo and see if they have any hard air badges kicking around somewhere and send a couple up if i can track them down.

You are discussing "cap badges" right?  I find no shortage of any hat badges in the system, nor does one have to pay for an initial issue. If however, you were just issued one a few months ago, then you may be denied. We don't have a cash sales system anymore so if you are going to the kit shop you will be charged.

those that are needing them are having to resort to buying the "fancy" version if they want one

???  Not sure what "fancy" cap badges are? The only other cap badges are officers - not to be worn by anyone else...

unless of course there exisits, as with MS and Below in Victoria for some reason, a shortage

I may be a little slow on the uptake here, but what does being an MS or below have to do with cap badge shortages??

MS and below wear a different badge from PO2-CPO2 who, in turn, wear something different from CPO1's and officers.

(I only know this because I was researching something else on the Materiel site two days ago) :)

http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/dglepm/badges-insignia/CAP_BADGES-CLOTH_e.htm

Wow - I never knew. Thanks for that. I like to learn a new thing every day, and today I did. That's only hard Navy trades, correct? I mean Navy Logistics still wear the paperclips and Navy medics still wear the snake...

BinRat55 said:
You are discussing "cap badges" right?  I find no shortage of any hat badges in the system, nor does one have to pay for an initial issue.

Really?

Could you send all your INT Hat Badges down to CFSMI.  There are none in the system, and new members are buying "obsolete" embroidered "officer" badges at $20 a pop.  (Authorized by the Branch Chief as there are NO Int Badges in the System.)  There are already numerous posts by others in a Topic on just that subject listing other Trades that don't have any badges left.

George Wallace said:
Really?

Could you send all your INT Hat Badges down to CFSMI.  There are none in the system, and new members are buying "obsolete" embroidered "officer" badges at $20 a pop.  (Authorized by the Branch Chief as there are NO Int Badges in the System.)  There are already numerous posts by others in a Topic on just that subject listing other Trades that don't have any badges left.

Interesting. Wait out - I WILL get back to you... CFSMI Kitshop is in Kingston, right?

For anyone in Victoria looking for MS and Below cap badges the QM has a whole box of them in the back, saw it there myself when getting one of my guys kitted out. No need to go to the tailor and purchase the $15 or $20 fancy aftermarket and not even close to authorized ones. (even though no one said anything due to the percieved shortage)

What cap badges are you talking about? 

The ones in the QM are for what Trade?

The ones that cost $15 - $20 are for What Trade?

sorry they are both for Master Seaman and Below for hard sea trades, the "fancy ones" have a metal or chromed plastic fouled anchor not in the approved pattern

BinRat55 said:
Interesting. Wait out - I WILL get back to you... CFSMI Kitshop is in Kingston, right?

My apologies - further investigation revealed a shortage of certain cap badges. I spoke with the supply manager re: the shortage and was informed that the ROB's (recommended orders for the depots) are being initiated now and it should take several more weeks. I misspoke earlier as I was only going by what trades we carry badges for here (we don't have a shortage for the trades that are here).

That being said, I will offer my services to my threshhold - let me know if you require a cap badge and if I have it it will be in the mail first chance I get. I will do my best to the best of my ability - don't take advantage of this offer if you don't need it. I wouldn't want people paying for kit shop items that can be issued to you for free, but I don't want people looking for a second one for parades.

Again, if I have it and you need it - you'll get it. PM me your DIN global email address so I can verify who you are and where you are. I'll contact you from there. For anyone who wants to verify ME can do so by asking Vern - we have known each other for almost 20 years - and I can assure you, i'm none the worst for the wear!!

perhaps one of the storsie types can answer this one,  seeing as all elements are issued two types of head dress (2 berets for the army types) Wedge and Peak Cap for the Airforce and Navy guys why is the entitlement for cap badges 1 not 2 just curious, not that I care much as most QM's will issue enough to get all your head dress sorted out?

Back