• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can't open Army.ca or Milnet.ca

Thanks for the info guys. It looks like I'll have to do some checking under the hood when I get back to Ottawa, but in the short term, the problem is not critical (as in it won't take us off the air and keep us off, it's just intermittent).

Thanks for your patience on this, it sure makes the replacement hardware purchase seem like a good decision! (Since it does appear to be a limitation on our end, not a network problem or DNS problem, etc.)

Just an update, at about 1630:

Linux/Firefox - army.ca opened, painfully slowly, then ran fast.  Two minutes later - all except army.ca would open; while

MS Vista/Opera - only navy.ca opened but it runs very, very fast.

With all the people from various areas posting on their speed and the time of day, it will at least give you a sense of where to look for a solution. From the little I have seen posted, the site seems to be overloading, then sheding the load, or vice versa.

Very slow for me too. Can hardly open any pages from this ip address.

I've been getting the following error when trying to access army.ca, happens about half the time, trying again a few seconds later usually works... it's the only web site that gives me problems.

Gateway Timeout
The following error occurred:
Code:
 A gateway timeout occurred. The server is unreachable. Retry the request.

Hope this helps in finding the issue, if there is one.

I have the problem sometimes, that some versions are slower then others(Army.ca for one). But I only use Milnet.ca now, and it works just fine.

Interestingly I haven't had this problem today but i've had it several times in the past.

For me, for about the past two weeks, it has taken a long time for anything to load, but it evenutally does.

E.R. Campbell said:
On the Linux/Firefox box - army.ca and air-fore.ca open but then stall/freeze but milnet.ca and navy.ca work perfectly.

>:D

Edward, how very Freudian of you!!  ;)

Same thing happening now, as it did the other night. When clicking on topic's on the main board.... it just stays frozen. It took me a couple of try's to get on this one, to update the same thing is happening for me. Now, as I try and log out... will see if it works for me tonight! (Generally army.ca when I am on here) Also, when replying to topics... I found that when I want to 'preview' my post before saving it, it takes a while for it to come up. Says "fetching preview" for a long time.

~Rebecca

It is almost as if the different sites have separate personalities.  Sometimes if Army.ca won't open, Air-Force.ca or Navy.ca might, or may be faster.  The oddest quirk is that the 'unread posts' are sometimes different among them.  An example is, this morning Army and Air-force had the same two pages of unread topics, whereas Navy.ca came up with only a single topic.  Is Navy.ca less intelligent than the others?

blackadder1916 said:
Is Navy.ca less intelligent than the others?

Ohhhh....I can just hear the waves crashing now....poor guy!!  ;D

Of course, it might not be the site at all but rather one of the intermediate routers.  ie.  For the past several days I've been checking and quite often the problem is with intermediate routers having excessively slow response time and high packet loss (ie. As I’m writing this, one of the hops is dropping 40% of my packets and 38.99.136.234 has a max response time of 923 ms).  Either of these issues will make your surfing a grind or even bring it to a standstill.  If you initiate a connection to one of the other flavours they could respond fine because your initial connection is still waiting for lost packets to arrive.

There are a number of ways you can check this but one easy way is to use VisualRoute but you can also run tracert from the Windows command prompt. 

Go Start -> Run and type "cmd" in the box that shows up.  This will open a black window where you will type "tracert army.ca", tracert milnet.ca" etc.  Traceroute will run and produce something like this:

1  <1ms    <1ms    <1ms  192.168.0.1
2  22ms    33ms    18ms  router.network.net
3  294ms    *            *      badrouter.network.net

Lower times are better, higher times means a lot of lag, the “*” indicates no response/unreachable = probable lost packets.

Linux has a much better native version, as it is much more powerful via available config options, although you enter “traceroute” at your command prompt.

Good news, I think the problem has been resolved, or at least improved. Please let me know what your experience is from here on out, and thanks again for your patience!

All four are up and running quickly on the MS Vista/IE7 system and on the Linux/Firefox box, too.  I don't have the other boxes up right now.

Edit: added superfluous Linux box info.

No worries, as you pointed out the problem seemed to have nothing to do with the desktop or configuration.

Mike Bobbitt said:
No worries, as you pointed out the problem seemed to have nothing to do with the desktop or configuration.

Well that may be so but, whatever it was you did...

has me being able to hit from work once again!! LOL

Thanks Mike!!

:)

That actually makes sense. One of our redundant Internet links was down, so you'd have a roughly equal chance of loading a page, timing out, or having things load very slowly.

Just a question for my internetly-challenged self.....why did I fly the whole time?

Back