• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cannot view profiles....

Status
Not open for further replies.
leroi said:
For what it's worth, I think it's better to focus on quality posts as opposed to quantity--my 2 cents.

I also think that it's silly to have to get to 25 posts to be able to see profiles. (Don't get me wrong, I can also see the security concerns also)  My main reason for beginning to lurk on this site is that I have been trying to narrow down some trade choices, and have found this site invaluable in being able to find relevant professionals that can answer my questions.  I liked being able to see what trade or rank somebody was in order to maybe PM them and ask a specific question.  I know I can post a thread and wait for responses, but I have yielded better results doing it this way.  Obviously I have been patient and waited to actually have something to say, rather than go on a posting rampage just to be able to see profiles.  Maybe I'll get to 25 posts.....  someday....

To PM you don't need to view the persons profile, in their post under their username there should be an icon that looks like this
im_on.gif
click that and you can send them a PM.

NFLD Sapper said:
To PM you don't need to view the persons profile, in their post under their username there should be an icon that looks like this
im_on.gif
click that and you can send them a PM.

I didn't mean that I couldn't PM people.  What I meant was that how do I know from my username, for example, that I am this rank and this trade.  That's where viewing the profiles comes in handy, so you know WHO to PM to answer your question. 

ada said:
I also think that it's silly to have to get to 25 posts to be able to see profiles. (Don't get me wrong, I can also see the security concerns also)  My main reason for beginning to lurk on this site is that I have been trying to narrow down some trade choices, and have found this site invaluable in being able to find relevant professionals that can answer my questions.  I liked being able to see what trade or rank somebody was in order to maybe PM them and ask a specific question.  I know I can post a thread and wait for responses, but I have yielded better results doing it this way.  Obviously I have been patient and waited to actually have something to say, rather than go on a posting rampage just to be able to see profiles.  Maybe I'll get to 25 posts.....  someday....
Or you become a subscriber, Mike made it so that everyone that subscribes can view peoples profile no mater how many posts you have.  That way you can continue to just read and only post when you want to.

ada said:
I also think that it's silly to have to get to 25 posts to be able to see profiles. (Don't get me wrong, I can also see the security concerns also) 

If you understand the security concerns, how can you think it is "silly" ?

CDN Aviator said:
If you understand the security concerns, how can you think it is "silly" ?

Because I've seen people post comments just to post comments, with no substance behind them whatsoever.  If security is such a major concern then I would suggest just not putting anything that is of restricted nature in a profile?  Doesn't that seem to work?  But hey, I'm not a staff member on this site, and I am entitled to an opinion.....  isn't that right?

ada said:
  If security is such a major concern then I would suggest just not putting anything that is of restricted nature in a profile? 

The problem was automated bots gathering email adresses for the purpose of spam. A bot wont post 25 times, hence why that was the solution put in effect. Is it realy that difficult to grasp ?

For the record, that's not a great way to get to 25. I understand both sides of the issue... there is a security/privacy issue, which we have addressed in an admittedly heavy-handed fashion. I'm looking for input on how we cen best strike a balance here.

I realize that the inconvenience doesn't affect me - I have more than 25 posts - which is part of the reason I'm intreested in an open discussion. The other part is that this is of course your information to protect at a level you deem appropriate. I simply want to make our users aware of the threat and possible controls in place.

I think the implementation is perfect.  New members from now on will never know what they missed.  This is only a transitionary inconvenience.  The only touchy thing will be letting new members know when they can view profiles.  My suggestion is an automated email at post 25 that lets them know they now have the ability to check profiles.  That way you don't tip your hand as easily to spammer scum.

Oh wow, I was just about to suggest changing the error message to something more specific like "You can view profiles after 25 posts." while looking up the original error and realized I can now view profiles (at post count 23).

Thanks... I think I had a setting incorrect there, but believe I have fixed it now.

25 posts... I figured it was something like that, thanks for confirming. I do understand the reasons too.

I'm also a mostly-lurker who reads all the time but doesn't post too often. Still have a long way to go to 25, but I'll maybe get there in another year or so. ;)

Mirta said:
25 posts... I figured it was something like that, thanks for confirming. I do understand the reasons too.

I'm also a mostly-lurker who reads all the time but doesn't post too often. Still have a long way to go to 25, but I'll maybe get there in another year or so. ;)

..or subscribe now. [shameless plug notwithstanding]

If the problem is with spam bots collecting contact information (most importantly email addresses), perhaps simply hiding the relevant sections of the profile would be another way to tackle this problem?  Hide everything in the list starting from ICQ - Language until after a certain post count has been reached, but still allow new posters to view the section that describes a member's rank, trade, etc.?  Just an idea.

It's a good idea... just one that would take some time and effort on my part. :) I'd have to re-write small parts of the forum software to honour your post count and dynamically show or hide portions of your profile... certainly not impossible but a bit time consuming and unfortunately time seems to be at a premium these days!

Let's keep in mind that this site is not exactly constructed to generate large sums of money.  Mike B. does not run it as a full-time programmer, he does so as a hobby on top of a real job, a real family and other real life commitments.  In some cases, the forum approach is the best compromise of the forum software (which is third-party), Mike's valuable time to tweak it where he can, and the overall site management processes.

Some things just have to be accepted as they are because it's not worth the effort to make every suggested change.

And with that Mr. O'Leary..... time for the shameless plug.......

Why not pony up and get a membership to the site to help out?

How to subscribe

So?  If we delete someone's Posting a new Topic or question, because they want to build up their Post Count and not read topics already started; do they get penalized more than just building up a Negative MilPoints Count?    >:D

Would it be possible to allow me to see profile? I'm in here to read a lot as I can't post much yet since i'm in the process of application for the forces and I can't answer any of the questions ppl are asking on the board. I've been reading for 14 hours according the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back