• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Soldiers in Afghanistan

What is your opinion about our Canadian comrades in Afghanistan? And Why?

• All for it!

Votes: 90 90.9%
  • Ok, but I need more reason

Votes: 6 6.1%
  • They're in Afghanistan?!?

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • No opinion

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • Get 'em out of there!

Votes: 8 8.1%

• Total voters
cadet levesque said:
First of all let me say i have nothing against our troops being over seas. Yet, I think our government made a BIG mistake for withdrawing from the U.N. peacekeeping missions. In order to support the U.S. In Afghanistan. I mean look it's just one death after another. It's nothing more than a blood shed. U.S. and Canadian soldiers dieing one after the other isn't going to change terrorists minds. I just seen about four weeks ago in a paper. Canadian soldiers learning new tactics from U.S. soldiers in spare time. I say we withdraw and let America fight its own wars. We are not strong enough to do this for much longer. I love my country and it has made bad decisions before but this one tops it.

WARNING

Please remember that this person's view is that of a 13 year old cadet.

cadet levesque said:
I am currently an army cadet. All my life I have had a passion for the military. There is always a little voice inside me saying go join the army. Right now I'm at a dead end I'm only 13 and .........

Cadet Levesque: Afstan is not repeat not an "American" war. 

Rather it is an international effort by over thirty countries, an effort that has recently been endorsed twice, both times unanimously, by the UN Security through Resolution 1659 (2006) and Resolution 1623 (2005).  In light of this UN mandate surely Canadians should support the effort enthusiastically.  The resolutions endorse both US Operation Enduring Freedom (under which the CF now are) and NATO ISAF (to which they will transfer in August.
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2006/sc8641.doc.htm
http://www.un.org/News/Press/docs/2005/sc8495.doc.htm

How is that you, and so many others who question the Afstan mission, are unaware of these basic facts?

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa

Please look at the warning in the post above yours.  It may clear up your line of questioning.

George Wallace: Quite and my apologies to Cadet Levesque.  But that such basic facts are so widely unknown--amongst the adult population too--is an indication of the sorry job our media and politicians are doing.  Though I think in Question Period Wednesday PM Harper did mention the UN mandate for Afstan, just about the first time I have heard that done by one of our politicians.

Mark
Ottawa

It also relfects on our Education system in a couple of ways:  the biases of some of the Educators and perhaps the lack of studies in Current Events.

Part of the reason I posted this is because I feel that I am being "brainwashed" (for lack-of-a-better-word) by what I am being taught in school. All we have been told in History and Geography, etc., are that Canadian soldiers are renouned Peacekeepers. This may have been true in the past, but now, this is all a matter of opinion.

Buschgirl427 said:
Part of the reason I posted this is because I feel that I am being "brainwashed" (for lack-of-a-better-word) by what I am being taught in school. All we have been told in History and Geography, etc., are that Canadian soldiers are renouned Peacekeepers. This may have been true in the past, but now, this is all a matter of opinion.
Well, I don't post a lot on this site, but I feel compelled to respond. As a former reservist and currently a history teacher (incidentally in the same town as you) I do take a bit of an exception to your statement. I cannot speak for all of my colleagues, but we as teachers do not "brainwash." Maybe it is your own opinion that this is what takes place, but for myself, I always encourage my students to formulate their own opinions. Yes, we do highlight Canada's role in the world as a "peacekeeper," but this is only a part of our world role. If you remember your grade 10 history we have played an extensive role as "peacemakers."

Right now I am finishing my unit on WWII and one of the themes that I emphasized was the world's need to respond in certain situations. History has told us the consequences of allowing people like Hitler to run unchecked. As was mentioned in other posts, Canada's involvement is in conjunction with many other countries and is not simply an extension of US policy.

Canada has a responsibility to not only keep peace, but if necessary make peace. We have demonstrated that through our involvement in world events over the past 100 years and through the sacrifice of many thousands of lives.

ex-Sup said:
Yes, we do highlight Canada's role in the world as a "peacekeeper," but this is only a part of our world role.

I'm just wondering how much emphasis the curriculum puts on the concept that we are a peacekeeping military. Do you think it's possible that some teachers add their own emphasis based on their personal views/opinions?

SHELLDRAKE!! said:
I'm just wondering how much emphasis the curriculum puts on the concept that we are a peacekeeping military. Do you think it's possible that some teachers add their own emphasis based on their personal views/opinions?
The curriculum does stress a need to highlight our role in this regard, but as you mentioned there is always personal opinion/bias that may be introduced. Contrary to the belief of some, we are people like everyone else ans sometimes our own opinions come out in what we teach. But as I mentioned in my post, it is important to note that our role in the wars is just as important as those with the UN. If you like, you can check out the course profile yourself:
http://www.curriculum.org/csc/library/profiles/10/canadian_c.shtml

"Brainwashed"? Interesting. Usually it's students accusing US of that - but then you've already had an exposure to our side.

Our reputation, or "renown" as you put it, varies depending upon where you go or to whom you speak. Travel through those parts of Europe that were liberated by our predecessors and you'll hear no mention of "peacekeeper". I suspect that South Koreans would use other terms, too. Most of Canada's international reputation has been earned by its military personnel in one way or another; it's often the only exposure many people in many countries have ever had to Canada.

By the way, where did the "427" in your user name/e-mail address come from?

I support the cause. A'stan was a threat to canada (Via supporting AQ, which had canada on its hit list) And aside from that, it was a brutal oppressive regime.

I signed up to be a soldier, not a peacekeeper.  There will come a time when our role there is to keep the peace, until then, lets get in there, get the job done, and be proud of what we do.

The ideals and intent behind peacekeeping are noble for sure and I doubt anyone here would disagree with them but that isn't the problem.  The problem is that for a considerable number of the service members on this board their most frustrating , ineffective and morally challenging times in uniform have been experienced while "peacekeeping" in places like Bosnia and Rwanda where there was no peace to keep. 

Those that continue to call for peacekeeping in Afghanistan are blinding themselves to the truth.  Please name one successful "peacekeeping mission" in the last 10 years.  I honestly can not think of one, yet the lie of peacekeeping is perpetuated by the Canadian press and until recently by the Canadian Government.

The press today talks of Afghanistan as a quagmire but the real quagmire was Bosnia where we spent years performing the task of "peacekeeper" under the UN with no result, no peace.  It wasn't until NATO took over that the forces involved were able to end the bloodshed, stop the aggressors and really truly begin to build peace.

The empirical evidence is that peacekeeping is ineffective while peacemaking shows results. 

On a personal note the often used phrase that "lives are being wasted" in Afghanistan is the greatest insult of all.  Every single one of the soldiers serving in Afghanistan is a volunteer making a difference in and for the entire planet. I can't think of a single nobler purpose.

Reccesoldier said:
I honestly can not think of one, yet the lie of peacekeeping is perpetuated by the Canadian press and until recently by the Canadian Government.
UNMEE: Ethiopia and Eritrea I believe was a reasonable success.  Also quite a "traditional" peacekeeping mission in that the belligerents both wanted the UN to oversee the peace process.

Inserting a peacekeeping element between two opposing military forces is the purpose of UN peacekeepers and has traditionally garnered higher rates of success. When the UN decides to intervene in the internal civil matters of any nation it can quite easily become an imbroglio.

The UN wasn't intended for peacekeeping in civil matters. Hence the low success rate. It was designed to prevent World War 3, i.e., the nuclear exchange of weapons. As with anything, the UN has been interfered with to the point of comedy, but the prime mandate still exists. So, NATO has become the instrument of choice for internal operations against nations that pose a "threat" to the world or rise too high on the radar with their internal squabbles and the "international community" feels compelled to respond, etc.

Canada has signed on in Afghanistan and that is a commitment worthy of continued support.

Although not in the last 10 years, Cyprus was an example of how peacekeeping can draw to a stalemate. It was reported that prior to our withdrawal from Cyprus after 59 tours, the locals were more concerned with the the effect on the local economy than with war erupting again.

Back