• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Naval Centennial

MARS said:
... bring your friends too...if you guys can pry yourselves away from the bar for long enough ;)

We can always pry ourselves away from the bar of the Army Officers' Mess to watch sailors pretend to  :piper: march.  :piper:

Well, if the Army Officer's Mess will take you... ;)

This "marching" thing you speak of is, in reality, a bunch of sailors on a pub crawl, looking for the next bar.  If we happen to stop somewhere along the route, it is because someone thinks they have spotted some beer.

Edited for spelling

MARS said:
Well, if the Army Officer's Mess will take you... ;)

This "marching" thing you speak of is, in reality, a bunch of sailors on a pub crawl, looking for the next bar.  If we happen to stop somewhere along the route, it is because someone things they have spotted some beer.

I was always under the impression that the proper marching formation for sailors was a gaggle. :)

The Ottawa Citizen has reported this afternoon the announcement the Naval Monument design has been chosen. The above link provides a drawing, along with a description of the design.

Guys (and Gals);
I almost feel guilty doing this (maybe even slightly treasonous!!!) but check out this link for Navy Centennial merchandise:
http://www.brymark.com/slopskitshop/
I like also where some of their profits go.

The lapel pin is nice.

Nice to see the old jokes about marching style are still going on. The Army and Air Force always laughed at us at Naden years ago.

gcclarke said:
I was always under the impression that the proper marching formation for sailors was a gaggle. :)

Hawk said:
The lapel pin is nice.

Nice to see the old jokes about marching style are still going on. The Army and Air Force always laughed at us at Naden years ago.

Air Force and marching? I thought they outlawed that the day they learned to fly!

You could be right
FSTO said:
Air Force and marching? I thought they outlawed that the day they learned to fly!

Maybe that's why WE laughed at the ones who got nailed for parade at Naden!

I agree that this logo looks much better than the "official" one.  Shame they don't have a tee shirt  or coffee mug option.  Still, I'd buy from these guys before the Canex just for the logo alone.

FSTO said:

Not all of us got to be pilots, or aircrew for that matter.  Somebody has to fix the stuff they break! :)

I passed one of the "company" posters in the cubicle jungle yesterday.  I don't recall the subject, but it was a photo of the Snowbirds flying in line abreast formation.  Under it, some individual (likely one of the many army types that work in the area) had affixed a sticky note that said "The only place you'll see the Air Force in a straight line".  ;D

I don't think this was posted anywhere but it appears that the Royal Canadian Mint is getting onboard with the centennial celebrations with the Canadian Navy's 100th anniversery being the theme for its 2010 Silver Dollar.

http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/archive/January2010/06/c6650.html

Looks like all those nagging e-mails to the Mint paid off!  I'm definitely getting one.

I've never bought coins before - where do I buy one?

Hawk

gcclarke said:
someone wants to foot the bill for one of those swords for me? :)
I got one of the miniature swords (aka letter opener) and quite like it.  1/10 the cost of the full size one and will probably be more useful in the long run ;-)

Thanks, N. McKay - I have to go to the post office tomorrow - I'll check.

Hawk

If you are comfortable shopping online, the mint sells coins/sets online as well. Here is the link to the CNC coins.

The gold plated coin is a nice piece of work, but I think an enamel coin would look even better, if there are any other coin collecting geeks out there you will know what I am talking about. 

That coin looks kinda big!!! Where do I put it!!!!
I degress!!!
I just rec`d my order from that  ``other`` supplier of CNC swag (link is earlier in this topic) and quality is fantastic with the cost being roughly a half to two thirds of the CANEX site.  I will probably drop up to the CNC Office here next DWAD with my shirt, jacket and ball cap with the alternate logo to see what the good Captains response is!

On another topic - Has anyone tried volunteering for these Namesake city presentations. A call came out to MARLANT and I seem to keep running in to roadblocks - the last one being there is no money (duh!). For one, I have even volunteered to make my own way there because I visit my mom 8-10 times a year (Barrie) so absolutely no cost to anyone and I still get no response on my wish to volunteer. This whole CNC thing is downright frustrating at times.

Barrie may be covered off by a reserve unit, most likely York.  NRD's all over are being tasked to reach out to the namesake cities.  Try contacting MARS as he should have some insight on this....

Back