• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Aptitude Test (CFAT) [MERGED]

• Thread starter Thread starter Se7eN
  • Start date Start date
desert punkk said:
ive tryed it 2 times now and im worry'd that if i fail again im screwd

I've tried it 2 times now and I'm worried that if I fail again I'm screwed.  ::)

I think 3 is the maximum.  What level of school have you completed? 

ive completed high school it was because of math is why i failed i was thinking on takeing an upgrade course and keep doing it untill i get a A before i try again

After you failed the CFAT each time, your Recruiter should have explained to you what you would be required to achieve before another retest, and what the ramifications would be if you failed again. From the various discussions here on multiple rewrites, a third attempt is unusual and requires proof of educational upgrading. before you try it again, you'd better be damn sure you're ready for it. It doesn't matter how good you think you are, that test will keep you from getting any further if you don't succeed.

Yes likely math; your English written communication is above standard.  :blotto:

Psssttt....little advice; things like spelling, grammar, etc is expected to be better than what you're using in your posts.  Part of the site guidelines you agreed to.  ;)

I believe if you failed the CFAT a second time you are required to do upgrading and show this to the CFRC before they will let you write a 3rd time.

Regardless of the site guidelines, do you really think you're ready for the CFAT a third time?

As I said in another thread today :

"If you take it again (a second time) , and do not meet the standard for your chosen trade, it will be VERY tough to convince the CF that you should be given a third chance.  If the door is not opening for you do not break it down out of stupidity or impatience.  If the CF believes that you've done enough to receive a rewrite, that is good news. At the end of the day, you also need to evaluate it yourself based on your previous experiences with it. Go with your gut."

Based on your original post, you are not ready to rewrite the CFAT. As you may recall, one of the sections is verbal skills.  If you attempt this test again and you do not meet the standard, it's game over.

From DAA,

Bruce,

The post above is locked.  Would you mind adding the following info for the OP?

"You will not be afforded the opportunity a 3rd re-test unless you are registered in a substantial academic development program at the post-secondary level since the last time the CFAT was administered, and you are able to provide proof that you are experiencing no apparent difficulty. "

Right from the Recruiters Handbook.

Thank you DAA.

Good day gentlemen,

(disclaimer) In writing the cfat, we have agreed not to discuss the test.  Terms of service for this site "do not post anything you are not allowed too".

That said,  all trades work off of 3 values the test creates, you need to be in the 25% to become an officer.  Certain trades require certain scores.

As an aptitude test, all the questions change with the version, they get harder as you progress.  This gauges capability and level of knowledge, if you sharpen an axe, it is still an axe. 

The biggest concern is actually completing the test, skip the hard questions and go back later, the more complete the better your test will be, correctness is a large portion.

This has been said throughout This forum.

I have according to what the military accepts as schooling a grade 10 education but my score puts me at a university level.

Knowing something is not the same as understanding, try to explain something you know but not properly understand to someone who does not understand.

Alot of these tests are not about what you know, but what is not correct.  Also if you can discern patterns this will put you ahead of others.

yesican said:
Good day gentlemen,

(disclaimer) In writing the cfat, we have agreed not to discuss the test.  Terms of service for this site "do not post anything you are not allowed too".

That said,  all trades work off of 3 values the test creates, you need to be in the 25% to become an officer.  Certain trades require certain scores.

As an aptitude test, all the questions change with the version, they get harder as you progress.  This gauges capability and level of knowledge, if you sharpen an axe, it is still an axe. 

The biggest concern is actually completing the test, skip the hard questions and go back later, the more complete the better your test will be, correctness is a large portion.

This has been said throughout This forum.

I have according to what the military accepts as schooling a grade 10 education but my score puts me at a university level.

Knowing something is not the same as understanding, try to explain something you know but not properly understand to someone who does not understand.

Alot of these tests are not about what you know, but what is not correct.  Also if you can discern patterns this will put you ahead of others.

Not sure what the heck he's talking about.  Just to clarify things; you have to be at least in the 60th percentile to qualify as an officer. The reason they GENERALLY don't give out your score is because your performance on CFAT is only relevant when compared to the performance of others, so knowing your score may be misleading.
Just do your best, go over high school level math and pat yourself on the back once it's done.

Noctis said:
Not sure what the heck he's talking about.  Just to clarify things; you have to be at least in the 60th percentile to qualify as an officer. The reason they GENERALLY don't give out your score is because your performance on CFAT is only relevant when compared to the performance of others, so knowing your score may be misleading.
Just do your best, go over high school level math and pat yourself on the back once it's done.

I think the poster meant the TOP 25% or 75% score overall. That would seem to make sense no?

Noctis said:

Nothing about your application process is about comparing you with others.  The only person that knows who you are is your interviewer, and above that, you are a number.  No names, no places, no locations.  You are given scores based on your application, transcripts, and interview (Military Potential, and if you apply to RMC they add an Academic Potential score). They start at the highest scores, and just work their way down the list until all the positions are filled.

Every trade has a specific cut-off score.  If you suck at math/problem solving but are great at vocabulary and spatial reasoning you may get the same score as someone that is great at math but weak at vocab/spatial, but you would not qualify for the same trades.

Hello,

Firstly I want to apologize if this has been addressed elsewhere. I am rather frustrated at the moment.  :P In all seriousness though I am wondering if there is a mistake on the answer key for the CFAT mock test?

http://cdn.forces.ca/_PDF2010/preparing_for_aptitude_test_en.pdf

I am talking specifically about question number 10 under the Problem Solving category. I am not quite sure how they came up with 15. If anyone could help explain that to me or confirm that the answer is indeed not 15 I would appreciate it!  :)

Regards,

Alex

How many soldiers are there in a group of 27 sailors and soldiers if there
are four fifths as many sailors as soldiers?

So, the number of sailors is 4/5 x the number of soldiers ... and the total is 27.

Consider, if there are 5 soldiers, there would be 4 sailors, which equals 9 in total.

Therefore:

15 soldiers + 12 sailors = 27; and 12 is four-fifths of 15

I suppose we can only hope that our civilization would be saved if there was only a first-person-shooter video game that included math problems.

How many soldiers are in a group of 27 sailors and soldiers if there are four fifths as many sailors as soldiers?

If there are four fifths as many sailors as soldiers there are four sailors for every five soldiers.

Four sailors plus five soldiers makes a group size of nine. (4+5=9)

The total number of service members (27) divided by the size of the group (9) lets us find how many groups of servicemen there are. (27/9=3)

Since we know the number of groups (3) and the number of soldiers in each group (5) we can establish there are 15 soldiers. (3x5=15)

I suspect you chose C) 21 as the answer by converting four fifths into a decimal ( .80) and calculating 80 percent of 27 (21.6).  Figuring you cant have .6 of a person, you rounded down to 21.

But.....as Mr O'Leary pointed out, there is more to the question.  Paying attention to detail is one of elements of the test :)  C) 21,  was a choice because it would be a common mistake.

That was a great question, and hopefully for the OP, a lesson learned.

I suppose we can only hope that our civilization would be saved if there was only a first-person-shooter video game that included math problems.

First off I would like to thank all three of you for your fast response and answer. That question was just throwing me for a loop, I am sure we have all been there where a question that ought to be easily answered just seemed like an impossible task.

As far as what I quoted up there that is pretty much out of order mate. Considering this was my first post and I must say a rather well written one compared to some first posts that people make perhaps you would have the courtesy to spare the degrading comment?

Just had a bit of a rough time with the question and was seeking some outside advice. I hope you can appreciate that. :)

He meant minimal offence, he was just making a joke at your expense. If you do succeed in your pursuit of a career with the CF it would be a great benefit to learn how to take things with a grain of salt.

Flavus101 said:
As far as what I quoted up there that is pretty much out of order mate. Considering this was my first post and I must say a rather well written one compared to some first posts that people make perhaps you would have the courtesy to spare the degrading comment?
Oh yea, another sensitive one!    :pop:

Look, it's an APTITUDE test.  If you have any sort of problems with math questions, even this one, it suggests only that you may not be best suited for a mathematically-inclined position within the CF.  It's not the end of the world.

The correct answer, by the way, is "the required number of soldiers will be in the group, because who really cares about the Navy."  You'll notice they didn't even bother asking about the Air Force.

Flavus101 said:

Lil r said:
He meant minimal offence, he was just making a joke at your expense. If you do succeed in your pursuit of a career with the CF it would be a great benefit to learn how to take things with a grain of salt.

Yes, please don't take things personally.  No one is attacking you personally or trying to insult your intelligence. You'll find that in several instances, humour and/or sarcasm is used to help make a point.  It's very common.  I've gotten some myself.  Just chuckle and move on.

Back