• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's 'second national anthem' silenced

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Article Link

What has long been known as Canada's "second national anthem," CBC's Hockey Night in Canada theme song, will no longer be used.

Thursday night's Stanley Cup final game six was the last time "dunt- da-dunt- da-dunt," was played, according to the song's composer. CBC has announced the corporation is moving in a "new direction."

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation advised the composer, Dolores Claman, that it is not prepared to enter into a new license agreement with respect to the use of the theme.

More on article link

It mentions in the article that CBC must pay $500 each time the theme is used.  I wonder how much that figures into their "new direction" decision.  ::)

Is any one else outraged?!  Whats Don Cheery's email address, I need to write him a letter while my rage is still piping hot.

I am outraged!! It's classic!!!! I'm a little scared about this "new direction".

This just goes way too far! Even my youngest sings the song at the start of the game - it's a Canadian tradition....

I hate CBC.....

I need some time alone to grieve.

Let's pony up some cash, buy the rights to the song, and give it away to the CBC  for use!

Whats next, a blue glowy mark on the puck that gets a tail when slap shotted?
:rage:

I opposed GIVING anything more to the CBC, unless it is angry letters. Tax dollars are enough.

Time for one of you to pony up a new song.  $500 a game is great money if you can get it.

So angry....so so angry ...must suppress urge for killing rampage!

I am sure though that public outcry will see the CBC quickly changing back to it's original tune.

Not to worry about a new theme, I'm sure the "new direction" will shortly see hockey being replaced with lawn bowling.

Edit:  Want to object?  Here is the link to their form mailer.

You will have to "pony up" 2.5 Mil FYI...

Link

Composer of 'Hockey Night in Canada' theme sues CBC

Dolores Claman, the composer behind the distinctive Hockey Night in Canada theme song, has filed a lawsuit against the CBC, alleging that the broadcaster uses the tune too often.
Claman, Vine Maple Music, which owns the rights to the song known officially as Hockey Theme, and Absolute Productions, which administers the rights, have filed a statement of claim in the Ontario Superior Court of Justice.

They are seeking $2.5 million for breach of copyright and damages.

The plaintiffs' claim alleges that CBC's contract stipulates the song can only be used for Hockey Night in Canada broadcasts within Canada, but that the CBC has used the music on games shown in other countries and for other programming.

"We've just received notice and we're reviewing it," CBC spokesperson Ruth-Ellen Soles said Thursday.

Hockey Theme debuted in 1968 and is one of the longest running theme songs in broadcast history. In April 2004, Claman offered the tune up for downloading from Canadian music service Puretracks.com.

Claman is also the co-writer of another memorable song: A Place to Stand (Ontari-ari-ario) was written for Canada's centennial in 1967 and the Oscar-winning film A Place to Stand.

Sigger said:

I'm not even kidding you, but they are revisiting that (About 5 or so maybe more, when FOX introduced a glowing puck so the viewers could find the puck easier) at CBC!! Isn't that ridiculous!

This is just terrible... It's like someone just ripped out a piece of our long standing culture and started laughing. Not to mention they tell us that this piece of Canadian history is only worth 500$ a pop.... >:(

dukkadukka said:
I'm not even kidding you, but they are revisiting that (About 5 or so maybe more, when FOX introduced a glowing puck so the viewers could find the puck easier) at CBC!! Isn't that ridiculous!
It's not ridiculous, but complete garbage! 
I say that we burn down the cbc, sell off any profit left over (ha!) and rebuild it!
>:D

Mortarman Rockpainter said:
It's not ridiculous, but complete garbage! 
I say that we burn down the cbc, sell off any profit left over (ha!) and rebuild it!
>:D

Looks like your getting ready for total war on the Canadian Bullsheeit Corporation!!!!!

dukkadukka said:

dukka, you work at CBC, dont you? I will cry if this happens.

Sigger said:

Guess what I saw when I caught a replay from game 4 on NBC.
Not quite blue, but it was like the puck had a long, black, blurry tail.

As for the anthem being removed:
To quote one of the wise from the Trailer Park Boys... "What in the $%#&   ?!"

Midget

Back