• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada-US Trade Relations

tomahawk6 said:
In a tit for tat, Ottawa has levied tariffs on the US with subsidies for Canadian steel/aluminum producers.

Does that actually surprise you, T6? Does a government actually doing what it said it would do come as a shock to you?

Did you, as your commander-in-chief appears to, expect that in trade war started unilaterally by the US, there would be no US "casualties" - that the rest of the world would just cave in and give up at the first minor skirmish?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trump-trade-gomez-baruah-1.4732736

"A former Mexican congressman and founding member of a Mexico-based think tank says it's time for Canada to drop the gloves in its trade fight with the United States. "

"Agustin Barrios Gomez said Canada needs to understand that Canada is living in a new world where the friendship that bound it to its southern neighbour "no longer is currency with the current administration" in Washington.

"This policy of appeasement, or this policy of playing nice that was attempted by the Trudeau government at the beginning, I think that that time is over," Gomez, a founder of the Mexican Council on Foreign Relations, told guest host Catherine Cullen.

"We have to sit down and look at what each country's national interests are and be very clear that we cannot be allies if we are not friends. And this is not a way to treat friends."
Some good advice from our actual friends in the south.

Altair said:
….look at what each country's national interests are....
Strongly agree.  However, things like 'gender balance for everyone in everything' is possibly  a 'nice to have' but is not remotely a national interest.

…. we cannot be allies if we are not friends.
Disagree.  We allied with USSR in WW2.  Greece and Turkey are quite hostile NATO allies.  Alliances (like trade agreements) require understanding our best interest and/or a common enemy rather than 'friendship' -- there is more to effective politics than selfie opportunities.

Both points require grown-up political leadership.

>Some good advice from our actual friends in the south.

Not necessarily.  "Let's you and him fight" is an old gambit.  Undoubtedly Mexico would like other countries to stir up trouble, the better to reduce whatever focus the US has on Mexico.

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/majority-of-canadians-would-boycott-u-s-in-response-to-trade-war-nanos-survey-1.4000466

The majority of Canadians said they are likely (43 per cent) or somewhat likely (29 per cent) to boycott U.S.-made goods if there is a trade war between the two countries. Twenty-six per cent said they are either somewhat unlikely (10 per cent) or unlikely (16 per cent) to do so. Two per cent said they are unsure.

When asked how likely they were to stop shopping at U.S. retailers in Canada in the event of a trade war, nearly seven in ten Canadians said they are likely (43 per cent) or somewhat likely (25 per cent) to stop. Close to three in ten said they are somewhat unlikely (13 per cent) or unlikely (16 per cent) to stop shopping at U.S. retailers in Canada. Three per cent said they are unsure.

That sentiment is backed up by the recent rise of Twitter hashtags including #BuyCanadian, #BoycottUSProducts and #BoycottUSA, used to spread tips on leveraging purchasing power to defend Canada’s honour.

Canadian travel dollars are a key driver of the U.S. tourism industry. But what if the snowbirds stop flying south?

Overnight trips from Canada rose 4.8 per cent to 20.2 million in 2017, snapping a three-year decline, according to data from Statistics Canada.

The Nanos survey also found that many Canadians are willing to halt travel south of the border, and potentially reverse that upward trend.

When asked how likely they were to curtail or stop travelling to the U.S. in the event of a trade war, a majority of Canadians said they are likely (57 per cent) or somewhat likely (16 per cent) to do so. One in four said they are somewhat unlikely (8 per cent) or unlikely (17 per cent) to curtail or stop travelling to the U.S. Two per cent said they are unsure.

Nik Nanos said avoiding travel to the U.S. seems to be the most popular option considered by Canadians, since it’s “an easy way to send a very clear message that will hit American pocketbooks in terms of their tourist economy immediately.”

I kind of like that. Defending Canadian honour.

So people are willing to boycott US retailers?  Like Tim Horton's (which is now actually Brazilian I think) and stop watching Netflix??

That I'd like to see.

PPCLI Guy said:
So people are willing to boycott US retailers?  Like Tim Horton's (which is now actually Brazilian I think) and stop watching Netflix??

That I'd like to see.
Probably more goods. Probably shop at walmart and avoid things made in america I would imagine.

The Nanos survey also found that many Canadians are willing to halt travel south of the border, and potentially reverse that upward trend.

When asked how likely they were to curtail or stop travelling to the U.S. in the event of a trade war, a majority of Canadians said they are likely (57 per cent) or somewhat likely (16 per cent) to do so. One in four said they are somewhat unlikely (8 per cent) or unlikely (17 per cent) to curtail or stop travelling to the U.S. Two per cent said they are unsure.

Nik Nanos said avoiding travel to the U.S. seems to be the most popular option considered by Canadians, since it’s “an easy way to send a very clear message that will hit American pocketbooks in terms of their tourist economy immediately.”

IMHO, the Nanos survey should have qualified the participants by Cdns e.g.Snowbirds, regular travellers, etc instead of just asking everybody, which would include people who don't travel to the US at all, or never had intentions to travel to the US. I doubt the 57% and the 16% of  Snowbirds are going to stop their travel to the US.

http://www.cbj.ca/flocking-to-the-south-this-winter-canadian-snowbirds-and-the-dollar/

Anyway, it was reported that Canada requested six times last week to for meetings on NAFTA, and Trump wants to wait till after the Mid-terms in Nov. https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/news/canada-still-aiming-intensive-nafta-173634273.html

I think Trudeau was hoping to get NAFTA settled for a snap election in the Fall. Liberal talking point: Capt Trudeau saves Canada. In my area the number of letters/comments praising the Liberals/local LPC MP Steven Fehr (ex RCAF) have increased in the last couple of weeks. Some of the letters are really over the top.

Nothing on the Trudeau groping incident locally.  https://globalnews.ca/news/4309277/justin-trudeau-reporter-grope/

I have little faith in 'boycott the US' sentiment.  In the extreme, recall human nature in the War of 1812.  South-western Ontario burned but trade prospered along the St Lawrence and East.  A 'boycott the US' drive will be scrupulously supported unless an American item in question is lower cost. I suspect travel to the US will be restricted more by the relative value of the dollars and family security than by government policy.

Once the tariff issue is settled, I very much doubt that the consumer items such as Bourbon, toilet paper, washing machines, etc will return to their pre-tariff price. It is the Canadian way.

PPCLI Guy said:

That I'd like to see.

A lot of people are trying to make some sort of effort.  but yeah it will be hard for some.

I tried finding any produce made in Canada at my grocery store.  Very little there but at least I am now supporting my local farmer's market for that.  But come winter that won't be too easy to do though.

But concentrated effort would work better.  The same store had French's Ketchup front and center of their store for sale.

Sandyson said:
I have little faith in 'boycott the US' sentiment.  In the extreme, recall human nature in the War of 1812.  South-western Ontario burned but trade prospered along the St Lawrence and East.  A 'boycott the US' drive will be scrupulously supported unless an American item in question is lower cost. I suspect travel to the US will be restricted more by the relative value of the dollars and family security than by government policy.
There is no boycott USA policy for the Canadian government, it's more a grassroots thing.

Remius said:
A lot of people are trying to make some sort of effort.  but yeah it will be hard for some.

I tried finding any produce made in Canada at my grocery store.  Very little there but at least I am now supporting my local farmer's market for that.  But come winter that won't be too easy to do though.

But concentrated effort would work better.  The same store had French's Kketchup from a subsidiary of American food conglomerate McCormick & Co. of Sparks, Maryland, front and center of their store for sale.

In fairness, they do buy Canadian tomatoes and make the ketchup in Canada, but...

G2G

Around here, the tourism industry in upper New York state, Vermont and New Hampshire have reported a roughly 20% drop in Canadian tourism, on which they rely a lot to make payroll and profits. It's a big drop with consequences.

My wife and I have, like many people from around Montreal, always enjoyed dropping in to Burlington (VT) from time to time to browse around the shops and stop for a good supper at NECI*, the Waterworks or the Inn at Essex. Others go to Plattsburgh, NY for the same. I am not surprised that many Canadians have therefore decided that not doing so until this is resolved is an easy grassroots retaliation.

*NECI: New England's Culinary Institute - they have great chefs teaching talented kids and their menu is exceptional, if ever you find yourself in Burlington. Reservations are recommended on week ends.

Oldgateboatdriver said:
Around here, the tourism industry in upper New York state, Vermont and New Hampshire have reported a roughly 20% drop in Canadian tourism, on which they rely a lot to make payroll and profits. It's a big drop with consequences.

My wife and I have, like many people from around Montreal, always enjoyed dropping in to Burlington (VT) from time to time to browse around the shops and stop for a good supper at NECI*, the Waterworks or the Inn at Essex. Others go to Plattsburgh, NY for the same. I am not surprised that many Canadians have therefore decided that not doing so until this is resolved is an easy grassroots retaliation.

*NECI: New England's Culinary Institute - they have great chefs teaching talented kids and their menu is exceptional, if ever you find yourself in Burlington. Reservations are recommended on week ends.
My parents usually take a Summer Trip to NYC, to visit family for a week or so.

They are visiting family in Toronto instead this year. It's not surprising to see this as a easy grassroots protest of America.

Stop eating Kellogg cereals. All made in the good old USA.

While you are at it, stop purchasing these brands if you want to boycott US products and companies.

https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/entry/consumer-brands-owned-ten-companies-graphic_n_1458812    Updated 12/06/2017

Extract: A ginormous number of brands are controlled by just 10 multinationals, according to this amazing infographic from French blog Convergence Alimentaire. Now we can see just how many products are owned by Kraft, Coca-Cola, General Mills, Kellogg's, Mars, Unilever, Johnson & Johnson, P&G and Nestlé.

(Disclaimer: We are not sure how up-to-date the graphic is. For example, it has not been updated to reflect P&G's sale of Pringles to Kellogg's in February 2012.)

Attachments

• Brands.jpg
    Brands.jpg
    616 KB · Views: 224
Back