• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada Post Woes (merged)

SupersonicMax said:
Xplorenet provides Satellite Internet for less than 50$ a month for pretty much any comunity in Canada.
Except here where I live - plugged in my postal code, and got the attached.  If I can't get it in a community of ~110,000, I'm guessing more remote areas are even less likely to be able to get it.  Here's the coverage list for Ontario - don't see much northwest of Thunder Bay.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
If Grey-Bruce County in Ontario has Internet available for farms than there's no reason it can't be everywhere.
Including places with a lot more geography and fewer people?
map12.gif

When the railroad was first built across Canada, it's interesting there didn't seem to be a push for "well, we'll just put 'er where there's loads of people so it'll be sustainable."  Infrastructure is hard to do in lots of Canada - and by "lots", I mean by land mass, not population.  And if you think dinky little places don't really matter, remember this?

Not all of Canada is Vancouver, Toronto, Ottawa or Montreal ...

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 82
Bird_Gunner45 said:
Ontario could just modernize it's services so that your licence and OHIP are printed in the spot like in NS, NB, and PEI. Or keep a largely obsolete corporation in place.

Ontario includes security devices in their cards now, as well as magnetic/optical strips with your info.  Not a simple photo, then apply photo to plastic procedure.  Other provinces will likely soon be following suit.

George Wallace said:
Ontario includes security devices in their cards now, as well as magnetic/optical strips with your info.  Not a simple photo, then apply photo to plastic procedure.  Other provinces will likely soon be following suit.
And passports?  Same same.

George Wallace said:

I would imagine that anything that can be done in a centralized centre could be done anywhere with the proper technology. Ontario has always had that system, and it's always been overly cumbersome.

SupersonicMax said:
My last passport was delivered to me through FedEx...

And as someone who uses the post office to ship sales, what would cost me $5.00 to get a bubble wrap envelope to the US without registering it - that would be another $14.00, costs me $42.00 thru FedEx, UPS or who ever...........

My 2¢'s

Cheers
Larry

Larry Strong said:
And as someone who uses the post office to ship sales, what would cost me $5.00 to get a bubble wrap envelope to the US without registering it - that would be another $14.00, costs me $42.00 thru FedEx, UPS or who ever...........

My 2¢'s

Cheers
Larry
In the new reality, you can always move to a larger centre with more options, then ...  >:D

Bird_Gunner45 said:
I would imagine that anything that can be done in a centralized centre could be done anywhere with the proper technology. Ontario has always had that system, and it's always been overly cumbersome.

Come on now.  Do you hold 404's?  How long did it take to get your 404's?  It is no longer a simple matter of going into Transport and them typing up a set for you.  It is now a bit longer, with contractors doing them in batches. 

As Security concerns grow, so does the implementation of various security measures into our numerous different forms of identification and their processing.  No longer are you able to get all these various forms of ID on the spot.  Some take quite a while to verify and produce.  Admit it; with digitization of our data, and the tightened security in today's world, it takes much more time to process certain documents.....Definitely not the "instantaneous products" that we once dreamed the future would hold.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
Ontario could just modernize it's services so that your licence and OHIP are printed in the spot like in NS, NB, and PEI. Or keep a largely obsolete corporation in place.

We could, but McWynnety expands the Public Service as much as she possibly can. Union votes buoy her numbers.

George Wallace said:
Come on now.  Do you hold 404's?  How long did it take to get your 404's?  It is no longer a simple matter of going into Transport and them typing up a set for you.  It is now a bit longer, with contractors doing them in batches. 

As Security concerns grow, so does the implementation of various security measures into our numerous different forms of identification and their processing.  No longer are you able to get all these various forms of ID on the spot.  Some take quite a while to verify and produce.  Admit it; with digitization of our data, and the tightened security in today's world, it takes much more time to process certain documents.....Definitely not the "instantaneous products" that we once dreamed the future would hold.

I dont admit this is the case at all. With technology that exists and technology that will exist in the future there is no reason why security cannot be delivered more rapidly. I think most of these are more a mix of people defending their jobs and people who refuse to get on the technology wagon. We need to look to the future, and Canada Post is certainly not doing that... more trying to pretend like we're still in the 1960's.

As for internet- if we're dumping millions/billions into infrastructure than perhaps this is something that should be high on the infrastructure priority list? Fibre Optic wire and internet infrastructure is as, if not more, important for economic growth than many of the other projects ongoing, particularly pork barrel social infrastructure.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
................ if not more, important for economic growth than many of the other projects ongoing, particularly pork barrel social infrastructure.

There we go......This is probably the biggest problem.....Pork Barrelling on all fronts detracting from actual constructive and efficient infrastructure and service.

Bird_Gunner45 said:
... As for internet- if we're dumping millions/billions into infrastructure than perhaps this is something that should be high on the infrastructure priority list? Fibre Optic wire and internet infrastructure is as, if not more, important for economic growth than many of the other projects ongoing, particularly pork barrel social infrastructure.
Ontario's Chamber of Commerce agrees ...
On Thursday, July 19th, 2016 the Ontario Chamber of Commerce (OCC) released an open letter to Premier Kathleen Wynne calling on the government to commit dedicated provincial infrastructure funds to developing and expanding broadband infrastructure in remote and rural areas of the province where there is simply not a case for private sector investment.

With record investments being made by government in transit and transportation, we are calling upon the provincial government to recognize, through infrastructure dollars, that access to high speed internet is similarly essential for Ontario businesses to compete in the 21st century global economy ...
Open letter attached.

Attachments

• OCC-Broadband-Letter-07-18-161.pdf
    293.6 KB · Views: 41
milnews.ca said:
Ontario's Chamber of Commerce agrees ...Open letter attached.

Only if the liberals can funnel millions, in graft, to their friends. Then it'll be full steam ahead.

Got this today from RBC

The longer Canada Post/CUPW screws around negotiates the worst it will be for both parties.

Canada Post Service Disruption – Potential Impact
There continues to be uncertainty surrounding a possible labour disruption at Canada Post. If there is an interruption in mail delivery, you may not receive your banking documents or statements, or be able to mail payments via Canada Post. RBC® Online Banking and the RBC Mobile1 app are tools you can use to continue to do your banking throughout a postal disruption, including bill payments and deposits.
To avoid any interruptions or missed payments, you may also want to sign up for electronic statements and make bill payments through our online or mobile banking services.
FIND OUT HOW
View frequently asked questions related to the pending postal disruption as well as other online and mobile banking options from RBC.

Finally...

Canadian Press

Canada Post, union reach deal
Canadian Press
2 hrs ago

OTTAWA - Labour Minister MaryAnn Mihychuk says Canada Post and the Canadian Union of Postal Workers have reached tentative agreements, averting the prospect of a labour dispute that has loomed over the talks for months.

In a statement, Mihychuk says the agreements were reached "voluntarily," but provides no other details about the deals themselves.

The issue of differences in paycheques for rural mail carriers — most of whom are women — and urban letter carriers had been at the forefront of protracted contract talks between the two sides.

The negotiations were extended twice since the weekend, when a deadline expired on a 72-hour job action notice issued last Thursday by the Canadian Union of Postal Workers.

The two sides were in talks nearly around the clock at the request of a special mediator appointed Friday by Mihychuk.

(...SNIPPED)

Back