• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada and the New American Empire

pbi said:
Go read some more Karl Marx and stay away from all the normal people here please.

I disagree. While I don't share Disillusioned's apparent viewpoint (still not sure we're not just having the piss taken out of us...), I don't think it hurts us to have dissenting points of view expressed here. Sometimes there is a bit too much preaching to the choir around here. Everyone is entitled to their opinion, and if we kicked out everybody who made an inaccurate or irritating statements, I would have been gone before I got my second leaf. Cheers.

Couldn't have said it better myself (I've tried...)

Having a different point of view is one thing, but pimping the same marginal political party, some zany economic view (which Torlyn called you on), and notions of an "evil, aggressive American imperialist state" over and over again gets exasperating.

This is Army.ca - talk about tanks or something for a change.

Since America is not an Empire in the traditional sense (no Procouncls collecting taxes and tribute), then what does that make us really? A satellite state? Associate member? That annoying guy who introduces David Letterman?

a_majoor said:
Since America is not an Empire in the traditional sense (no Procouncls collecting taxes and tribute), then what does that make us really? A satellite state? Associate member? That annoying guy who introduces David Letterman?

I remember being "graced" by Llyod Axworthy's presence at a lecture; he called us a "Satrapy" - how's that sound?

Can you picture it, Paul Martin, Satrap of Canada!

What do you think there, SufferingFromIllusions?

Great picture! Too bad Lloyd didn't pay attention in history class though, a "Satrap" was a Persian noble serving as a (what was that word again...oh yes!) Proconsul collecting taxes and tribute.

Disclaimer:  Yes, the sculpture is Assyrian; but when I googled Persian all I got was images from CIV III.  Damn pop culture....

a_majoor said:

I wish we weren't a satellite country, but I can't find a reason that we aren't, although we are big and still have some independence politically.

The media does often misrepresent figures of Canada-U.S. trade, but here's a statistic that should blow people's minds:

50% of Canadian export to the United States is intra-firm, that is, from the Canadian subsidiary of a U.S. transnational to the U.S. parent company at home.

Here is the source:  

Intrafirm Trade of Canadian-based Foreign Transnational Companies
by Richard A. Cameron, Industry Canada, December 1998

(only the HTML link works, PDF doesn't)

www.google.ca/search?q=cache:gHY8GOgmtlIJ:strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/ineas-aes.nsf/vwapj/wp26e.pdf/%24FILE/wp26e.pdf+Intrafirm+Trade+of+Canadian-based+Foreign+Transnational+Companies+&hl=en

http://ideas.repec.org/p/fth/cagoio/26.html

Disillusioned said:
I wish we weren't a satellite country, but I can't find a reason that we aren't, although we are big and still have some independence politically.

The media does often misrepresent figures of Canada-U.S. trade, but here's a statistic that should blow people's minds:

50% of Canadian export to the United States is intra-firm, that is, from the Canadian subsidiary of a U.S. transnational to the U.S. parent company at home.

Here is the source:  

Intrafirm Trade of Canadian-based Foreign Transnational Companies
by Richard A. Cameron, Industry Canada, December 1998

(only the HTML link works, PDF doesn't)

www.google.ca/search?q=cache:gHY8GOgmtlIJ:strategis.ic.gc.ca/epic/internet/ineas-aes.nsf/vwapj/wp26e.pdf/%24FILE/wp26e.pdf+Intrafirm+Trade+of+Canadian-based+Foreign+Transnational+Companies+&hl=en

http://ideas.repec.org/p/fth/cagoio/26.html

Holy blah blah blah.....dude you need to lighten up.

Although I have been spanked by Infanteer and others on this site when I first arrived too, and I do see why and how it was well deserved by me. I would have to agree that BY GOD you folks are sure slamming the poor fellow hard! I know, I know, your sick of the immediate anti-US rhetorical BS from all the newbies, did you ever think your all getting OLD then? LOL... I'm honestly just kidding!  :p

Really though, some folks who posted here (no to mention anyone in particular, it's obvious as hell) really actually insulted him I'm sure and others who would consider themselves appropriately labelled "Left-Wing Commie Tinfoil Wearing Phsyco's!"....  :warstory:

All in good taste I'm sure he quite possibly offended some of you with his comments on the site at various times and he's got his recorded warning...

Infanteer, I'm sure you can come up with such better wit than:

By god lad! That's just mean... Well, I suppose it was comming eventually with a nick like that but hey... Just tryin' to help keep the peace a bit is all.

Last time I stuck up for someone I was severly insulted by a staff member almost in a racial manner and freaked out sort of. Remember, sometimes it really may be just a puff of smoke to you but might be a jab to the heart with a sword to someone else. And how does the law of harrassment work in Canada kiddies? "Oh, but Sir, I just grabbed her ass once! It was nothing really..." Just an example of differing opinions you see?
::)

Anyway, I'm done. You right wing phsyco's can start loading your  :bullet: to  :skull: me now...

;D

Pte (R) Joe said:
Although I have been spanked by Infanteer and others on this site when I first arrived too, and I do see why and how it was well deserved by me. I would have to agree that BY GOD you folks are sure slamming the poor fellow hard! I know, I know, your sick of the immediate anti-US rhetorical BS from all the newbies, did you ever think your all getting OLD then? LOL... I'm honestly just kidding!   :p

Really though, some folks who posted here (no to mention anyone in particular, it's obvious as hell) really actually insulted him I'm sure and others who would consider themselves appropriately labelled "Left-Wing Commie Tinfoil Wearing Phsyco's!"....   :warstory:

All in good taste I'm sure he quite possibly offended some of you with his comments on the site at various times and he's got his recorded warning...

Infanteer, I'm sure you can come up with such better wit than:

By god lad! That's just mean... Well, I suppose it was comming eventually with a nick like that but hey... Just tryin' to help keep the peace a bit is all.

Last time I stuck up for someone I was severly insulted by a staff member almost in a racial manner and freaked out sort of. Remember, sometimes it really may be just a puff of smoke to you but might be a jab to the heart with a sword to someone else. And how does the law of harrassment work in Canada kiddies? "Oh, but Sir, I just grabbed her ass once! It was nothing really..." Just an example of differing opinions you see?
::)

Anyway, I'm done. You right wing phsyco's can start loading your   :bullet: to   :skull: me now...

;D

Just as a note, with Disillusioned, the thread could be in the offtopic forum talking about cheeze, and he'll turn it into a conspiracy theory about how the US doesn't want anyone to each cheeze so they raise the alert level to AMBER and find a mad cow case so they can slaughter all the cows or something...

All joking aside, I have yet to see one of his posts NOT be about the US, no matter what the original topic.

Thanks for the notice Joe, I'll put that one in the day-planner.

Goober has identified the core of the issue.   67 posts and not one of them has made any meaningful contribution to Army.ca.   Rather, he's constantly blared the same stuff repeatedly while at the same time sticking a cork in his ears if anyone takes their time to respond to his posts.

Picture Army.ca like a house, owned by Mr Bobbitt who's hired the staff to keep an eye on the place.   This is not a "free-for-all" where anyone can wander in and do what they want.   Do you want someone to come into your house and take a big dump right on your living room floor - without even introducing themselves?

Sure, there is a certain overarching "direction" that most members of this board take on many issues, but I won't say that it is a monolith that brooks no dissention - hell, even some of our senior members have disagreed with many of the viewpoints on certain issues (Bruce and RCA come to mind).   Many of you have been keen to argue against the "established" view of the forum, and you are more then welcome to continue to do so in a clear and debatable manner; doing so only gives the forum more "cred" as a place for good, serious discussion.   Sure, the membership may "pile on" a person who takes a particularly contentious stance, but all is fair in love and war - if you find things are a little too hot in the house, maybe it is best to drop the issue and take your licks.

I will say now that there exists a good "balance" on any arbitrary misuse of moderator action on this forum - I will tell you all that Mr Bobbitt is very fair owner and will countermand his staff if he feels the integrity of the board will suffer.   We may take part in the mudslinging, but when we put on the "moderator" spurs, we adhere to the procedures that the site owner has layed out for us.   Trust me, any "warnings" or "bannings" are discussed and agreed upon prior to the act by both the staff and Mr Bobbitt.

Now, as to the final issue, Mr Disillusioned.

The bottom line is that there is going to be a certain "direction" here due to the theme (Army.ca) - if your topics are so off-kilter that all they lead to is flaming, bickering, and distraction then perhaps you should find another area of the Internet that is more conducive to your discussion.   You won't find alot of us going to protest forums and peace activist sites to pitch our ideas for increasing the defence budget to expand on expeditionary capabilities, so you can appreciate the same thing happening here.

Disillusioned, you have been warned multiple times on the content of your posts.   You have insisted from post 1 to post 67 on prostrating the same viewpoint with little variation on theme or delivery.   If you haven't figured out by now, most of the members of the board are not too keen on what you have to say - and they've taken the time to point that out with posts.   You've even appealed to the site owner and have got your "boundaries" layed out by him.

Yet you've failed to change your delivery.   As such, your posts are very distracting and incite only unneeded frustration when you continue to broadcast comments about "American imperialism" and "economic fraud" - you've managed to throw threads on Submarines off topic for the sake of pushing you political outlook.   Even when challenged by others on your prostrations - Torlyn and A Majoor have recently done good jobs of doing so - you simply ignore their statements and insult them by heaping ad hominem attacks on their background, saying their "education" is useless and they are unable of "seeing the obvious".

As I see you have no interest in changing your stripes, you are banned.   You obviously cannot appreciate the fact that you are degrading the discussions here with your disruptive and inflammatory posts.   You were warned following your previous appeal and yet you obviously did not take the warning to heart.

Don't bother to try and go over the staff here; Mr Bobbitt has signed off on this.   I am sure you will find a place on the internet that will rejoice with you in bashing Yankee Imperialists and the treacherous Bank of Canada, but for now, it won't be here.

Infanteer Out.

I wonder if we will all be welcomed on "Disillusioned.ca"

Back