• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can soldiers use the legal drug salvia?

Status
Not open for further replies.

geeno

Inactive
Reaction score
I wasn't sure where else to post this.  Obviously all members in the CF can't use illegal drugs but what about legal ones.  Salvia is apparantly really hardcore but it's legal.  Im just wondering whether we're allowed to use this product, any info would be helpful.

"It's a plant - and its extract gives users an LSD-like high. No, it's not the latest target in the U.S. War On Drugs. In fact, it's perfectly legal. Salvia, also known as Diviner's Sage and Magic Mint, is a psychoactive drug and it's readily available across the GTA.

That's right, pop into any hemp store in the GTA and chances are you'll be able to pick up as much salvia as you want, plus tax, of course. Take it home, smoke it or chew it and fly high without breaking the law. Its legal status is due to Health Canada ruling the substance as nontoxic and nonaddictive." -From the City News web site.

If it doesn't come from the base pharmacy then don't take it. Too easy.

In the armed forces, while you may not use any drug that is illegal, the issue surrounding drugs is more than the legal aspects.  The question you have to ask yourself is:  Can I rely on the quick thinking and judgement of the person next to me when my life is in danger?  If the person in question is having flashbacks, has blown too many synapses thru overuse of pot, etc., etc., the answer is NO.  The prohibition against drugs is partly legal, but mostly has to do with being unfit for duty.  And it's the second part that ticks other members off.

If it ain't from the base pharmacy, or prescription given to you by a doctor, stay away.

No.  See QR&O Chap 20 - Canadian Forces Drug Control Program which states, in part:

20.04 – PROHIBITION
No officer or non-commissioned member shall use any drug unless:

(a) the member is authorized to use the drug by a qualified medical or dental practitioner for the purposes of medical treatment or dental care;

(b) the drug is contained in a non-prescription medication used by the member in accordance with the instructions accompanying the medication; or

(c) the member is required to use the drug in the course of military duties.

Gunnar said:
In the armed forces, while you may not use any drug that is illegal, the issue surrounding drugs is more than the legal aspects.  The question you have to ask yourself is:  Can I rely on the quick thinking and judgement of the person next to me when my life is in danger?  If the person in question is having flashbacks, has blown too many synapses thru overuse of pot, etc., etc., the answer is NO.  The prohibition against drugs is partly legal, but mostly has to do with being unfit for duty.  And it's the second part that ticks other members off.

If it ain't from the base pharmacy, or prescription given to you by a doctor, stay away.

you can argue the same for use of alcohol.  No I'm simply asking that if I'm my time off is it ok to use, it's not detectable by drug tests so I'm not sure whether it's a problem, I've heard though it's ok to use simply for the fact that it is legal.

Read Garb's post. If you still feel the need to argue about why you can use it, rethink your priorities and career choice.

geeno said:
you can argue the same for use of alcohol.  No I'm simply asking that if I'm my time off is it ok to use, it's not detectable by drug tests so I'm not sure whether it's a problem, I've heard though it's ok to use simply for the fact that it is legal.

Who in their right mind would come out and give you permission on a website to use it?  And would you honestly trust and believe what you read/heard here about being told it was okay??  If you want to know for sure if you can use it, go make an appointment and talk to someone at your MIR or base hospital.  What's that?  You don't want them to know about what you are going to use?  That should give you your answer right there!!

I forsee a short stay on the board for this one...

Geeno,

You have your answer. We're not entertaining any more of this.

Locked.

MILNET.CA Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back