• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets Joining the Reserves - Can it be Both?

• Thread starter corporal-cam
  • Start date
I cant beleive you would quit cadets to join the reserves after all u said, your sqn clearly needs you if the senior to cdt ratio is so high. If u want a paycheck, get a job at a store, u make the same amount of money, and u dont have to disband cadets. Even if u quit cadets, u are still considered a cadet, that is why when ur in cadets u cant quit when u turn 18 and be a O/Cdt until you officially age out at 19. So if you quit, u are still considered a cadet by the reserves and they still might not accept you. There is however a chance u could be in the reserves and cadets, and they accept you, i would gladly join as well. but dont quit cadets until you know you are in for sure. because if you disband, try to join the reserves and are not accepted, you will not be accepted back into cadets with much friendlyness. :threat:

I'm not quiting cadets before i join the Reserves. after I join I will eventually. Ya the Senior to new cadets is high i don't think our CO could Handel two there Senior leaving to join the Reserves(theoretical*) Harding.  

Go 299 Yarmouth lions :threat:!

I am in total agreement with Piper on this one.

The Aim of the Cadets as you well know is:
"¢ To develop in youth the attributes of good citizenship and
leadership.
"¢ To promote physical fitness.
"¢ To stimulate an interest in the Canadian Forces.

If you are joining the CF then the cadet program has more than filled it's aim.   No man can serve two masters.

I would suggest that you stay with your corps/sqn only until you start pre-BMQ training.   Offer your services to your OC as a CI / Volunteer if you still wish to be of service to cadets.   Unless you are on a flying or para scholarship there is absolutely no reason you should feel compelled to stay in cadets.

I spent 4 years in the cadet program and 13 years in the reserves.   Frankly you will not have the time for cadets, reserves, and school without seriously damaging your performance in at least one.   The cadets is a great program for youth, and it certainly helped me in basic training and JLC later on.   The reasons for devoting your time and efforts to one military pursuit will become apparent when you start your training.  

Harding299 said:
Even if u quit cadets, u are still considered a cadet, that is why when ur in cadets u cant quit when u turn 18 and be a O/Cdt until you officially age out at 19. So if you quit, u are still considered a cadet by the reserves and they still might not accept you.

What are you talking about? You can leave cadets at any time, NO STRINGS ATTACHED. If you leave then you are no longer a cadet. That simple. And isn't it 18 to be OCdt?

condor888000 said:
What are you talking about? You can leave cadets at any time, NO STRINGS ATTACHED. If you leave then you are no longer a cadet. That simple. And isn't it 18 to be OCdt?

ya last year i had a O/Cdt that was 18. he quit cadets and became CIC

Harding299 said:
I cant beleive you would quit cadets to join the reserves after all u said, your sqn clearly needs you if the senior to cdt ratio is so high. If u want a paycheck, get a job at a store, u make the same amount of money, and u dont have to disband cadets. Even if u quit cadets, u are still considered a cadet, that is why when ur in cadets u cant quit when u turn 18 and be a O/Cdt until you officially age out at 19. So if you quit, u are still considered a cadet by the reserves and they still might not accept you. There is however a chance u could be in the reserves and cadets, and they accept you, i would gladly join as well. but dont quit cadets until you know you are in for sure. because if you disband, try to join the reserves and are not accepted, you will not be accepted back into cadets with much friendlyness. :threat:

Too lazy to spell YOU ?

and back on topic...

I am joining the reserves, and going to BMQ this summer in meaford, permitting i get the call (next 2 weeks I hear from the RC).  I told my cadet CO of this, and he congratulated me, so he has no problems with it.  He made me promise that I would stay in cadets until i age out (Dec 14, 2006), and that I would attend cadet exercises when reserves and cadets overlap.  I was shocked that he would ask this, because he knows the importance of dedication in the CF (he was in Sierra Leone as a Reg Capt., and is now ret.).  I did in fact promise to remain in cadets for the next year and a half, however all my attention will be diverted to the reserves.  I would have left cadets, if our corps were in a better state.  The situation is, I am a WO in cadets, and also next in line for RSM when she leaves this coming february.  There is no one else responsible or qualified enough for the job apparently.  Our numbers situation is this: 1 CWO, 2 WO, 2 SGT, 1 MCPL, 4 CPL, 4 CDT, which only totals up to 14.  His words to me were that he needs me to help him with recruiting over the next year.  Our goal is to recruit 50 cadets, expecting 20 to stay for the next year.  I know someone will say to quit cadets and stick with reserves, but the dedication will still be there for the PRes, just less in the cadet corps. 
I am actually hoping that my CO will not allow me to be in both, so I don't have to go back on my word, and still leave cadets :p.

Yeah our squadron is about the same situation and I'm also joining the reserves in the next year.

I hope everything turn out good for you McFarlane. :p

with responsibility comes more more stress!!

condor888000 said:
A friend of mine will be an OCdt at age 17 (however that is through ROTP).  Also as far as I know you must be at least 18 to be a CIC Officer (you do need your high school diploma which typically takes until one is 18 or almost 18).

In my opinion ... as nice as it may seem to do both, I think it is far more effective to put 100% into one or the other then 50% into each.  It is for that reason I decided to not join the reserves and remain in cadets.  Some people may also have troubles with the contrasting roles, one being leader the other being follower.

Ok, back off topic.
Harding299 said:
Even if u quit cadets, u are still considered a cadet, that is why when ur in cadets u cant quit when u turn 18 and be a O/Cdt until you officially age out at 19. So if you quit, u are still considered a cadet by the reserves and they still might not accept you.

[rant]You dont disband cadets(you quit/retire), thats when the WHOLE ORGANIZATION gets the axe. Although you might be of age for cadets, that does not mean that DND will label you a cadet and prevent you from joining. [/rant]

I've already asked my CO whether he would let me join the reserves, and he said no. I don't think this is the end of the world because you are only a kid once in your lifetime, enjoy it while its still yours.

Edit: Grammar

You clearly do not understand the situation here:

CF-serving and defending your country, doing something useful.

Cadets-a youth organisation, a place for fun and games (I'm being honest, not cruel to cadets here).

You see, Boomer42 has recognized that it is time for him to grow up, get out of a group for kids and serve his country to pay back the debt that he (and everyone else) owes the country. The difference between you and Bommer 42 is that you seem to think that he owes cadets something...he owes cadets NOTHING. But, he owes his country something, and the way to pay that back is to serve your country, and one of the ways to accomplish that is to join the CF. You on the other hand seem to be content to stay with the fun and games group and act like a kid while Boomer42 has decided to grow up into a man (or woman as may be the case).

Cadets ain't that important my friends, the CF is. I had my fun time in cadets, learned one or two things and then decided that it was time for me to grow up and move on. Stay in cadets as long as you want, maybye it will work for you. But if you want something more, don't stay and waste your time, move on. You owe cadets nothing at all.

I realise I may be laying on the flag waving/good old maple syrup line a little thick, but thats how it works. Two types of people, those willing to serve (whether it be CF, police, fire etc) and those willing to let people serve for them. Which one are you?

And by the way Harding299, I suggest you pack your internet bags and bugger of of this site and over to cadet-world, you'll find people there who think more like you and *shudder* type like you too.

Thank you piper
I greatly accept anyone opinions on this subject (as long its said in a professional way) but you are all Right
and harding and me is in the same squadron he is also little right to!

I take the CF very seriously and cadets to.

:cdn: In the end its my decision (and the CO)

:p I Would But he higher rank then me id like to stay in cadets longest I possibly can
thank you very much :

I'm still 15 i still got a year of cadets and don't want tell the Reserve CO I got kicked out of cadets for as you said it
a good swift kick in the rear
. :p

cheeky_monkey said:
I've already asked my CO whether he would let me join the reserves, and he said no. I

Your CO is a fool.

Just make sure not to overwork yourself. We all have opinions to give on this matter, yet cadets, reserves, school, and a weird tool appropriately named life can build up on us all. Ensure that what ever decision is made is one that satisfys you, and is one you can handle!

Kyle Burrows said:
Your CO is a fool.
Or is concerned about the difficulties of being a cadet/reservist. Give the guy some credit. You know next to nothing of the situation and are insulting the man. Maybe you should find out more of whats going on before insulting the commisioned officer. They tend to not like that......

It doesn't matter what the officer likes or dislikes.  I say if the cadet is willing to do both then go ahead.  With MANY Commanding Officers who adopt this philosophy, I wonder wether or not they know about the militia.

I disagree. Its up to him/her to run the unit to the best of their abilites in the way they see fit. If that includes not approving a cadet who is also a reservist, then so be it. If its really all that big a deal the cadet could always leave and join the reserves. And I still stand by what I said. You should not have insulted a commisioned officer in the CF when you have very little information on how they do their job.

All good points, but it seems the case with many a CO I have met that they view the militia as a bad thing.  Personally, I would encourage the moving up instead of holding a cadet back.

Back