• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BV206/210 for Peacekeeping/Light Infantry Brigade?

George, nice post! :salute:

I fully agree with you, we are looking for effects, and you've laid out nicely how effects can most effectively be provided, including cognizance of the ever-present requirement to make the personal link with those you are trying to assist.  Last Eid (al-Fitr), I and a couple of other guys did a little tour around the outskirts of Kabul in the Cruiser...came through many little villages to the South and North.  You'd me amazed at the smiles, greetings and the impression I believed that we left using just a few words of greeting in Dari that we gleaned from liaising with AFG gov't folks during regular ops.  Nothing can replace the face to face interaction and experiences built with a respectful meeting between folks.  The most lasting impression for me was having a small Corolla wagon stuffed with about 8-10 young Afghan teens drive by during Eid...they were probably wondering what was up coming around the corner of the little track in the Wahdi and almost (well not quite) scraping bumpers with a few 6'+ Canadian soldiers in PPE dismounted taking pics of the local area.  About 20 minutes after our initial Dari greetings, "Eid mubarak!  Che thourastee? Khub khubastee?" and the wide smiles that cracked over the fellows' faces, both groups were on their way with, I'd like to think, a greater appreciation of each other.  This is something that no helicopter (eek, dare I actually say this as an aviator :o ) could achieve, nor racing through streets in a HUMVEE, LAV, RG-31, etc....  I'm one air force officer who fully agrees that there is absolutely no replacement for boots (said respectfully) on the ground!!!  BV-206 (optimized for taking rocks in the tracks, etc...) would very nicely fit in as a patrol vehicle in many theatres.

2 more ¢...

Cheers,
Duey

Would anyone happen to know if the BV-206 is road legal in Canada?
I see an increasing number of these are being decommissioned and refurbed for civilian use.
I'm intrigued and wondering if they might be useful here at home (NU) but I would need to be able to use it on roads to access the back country.

I did my BV-206 course in 2001 with the RCR.I decided it should be driven like a tank (as a leo was the only thing I knew how to drive at the time besides LSVW).The Mcpl who was the instructor let me go as I zigged and zagged pedal to the medal.When we stopped he looked at me laughed and said yep typical armoured guy...slow the f*ck down! Every section member is now impailed on their bayonets in the back.

It was an amasing vehicle easy track maintance although they did get chewed up pretty quick.

They also worked very well going up to the RRB's in Bosnia,thank god I wasnt involved in that but they apparently worked very well.

EuroTrash said:
Would anyone happen to know if the BV-206 is road legal in Canada?
I see an increasing number of these are being decommissioned and refurbed for civilian use.
I'm intrigued and wondering if they might be useful here at home (NU) but I would need to be able to use it on roads to access the back country.
I have been told by a distributor that it is considered an off road all terrain vehicle (similiar to a quad) for registration and insurance purposes.  If you tried to take one on road I imagine you would need a class 4 license because of the seating capacity.

Further to the use of the Bv206 family - This is the Bv206's big brother the BvS10 or the Viking in Royal Marine service.

Vikings Complete First Convoy Mission in Afghanistan

(Source: UK Ministry of Defence; issued Oct. 31, 2006)

The first ever operation involving the new Viking armoured vehicle has been successfully completed by Royal Marine Commandos in southern Afghanistan. 

Operation Zina saw thirty-three Vikings complete a 10-hour combat move into Helmand province from their base in Kandahar airfield. During the journey Royal Navy Harriers provided force protection and helped clear the route ahead of the convoy, which was also supported by armoured fighting vehicles from Denmark and Estonia. 

The route included notorious areas of Kandahar City and Gereshk and despite some heavy surveillance from suspected Taliban the journey was completed without incident. 

Vikings are armoured all terrain vehicles able to operate anywhere in the world in temperatures ranging from -46c to +49c. They are crewed by two men who act as driver and gunner and are armed with a General Purpose Machine Gun among other weapon systems. 

Being able to operate over deep sand and boulder fields, the Vikings have the mobility to operate anywhere in Helmand province and can carry a section of Royal Marines into battle, offering significant protection to their passengers and crew. 

The operation was led by Major Jes Hermer Royal Marines, Officer Commanding the Royal Marines Armoured Support Squadron based in Bovington, Dorset. He said: 

"We first started working on the Viking project six years ago and have gone through lots of tests and adjusts. 

"This convoy is the result of all that hard work. The operation has been a great success against a significant threat from Improvised Explosive Devices and snipers. I am very proud of the way my men have performed." 

The Vikings are now patrolling throughout Helmand province and their ability to go anywhere at speed will be a tremendous asset to the Royal Marines. 

-ends- 

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?session=dae.16851726.1133540294.Q5BzxsOa9dUAAHeSPdQ&modele=jdc_34

Now to see how it holds up to dust and rocks.

I have seen some interesting test pics of the vikings going through crazy terrain (mountain, snow, ocean, rocky desert), it really does appear to be a versatile vehicle...

BUT, IMO it is not a close combat vehicle (Dount dismount the troops 10 feet from the objective with this one!)

I was a BV driver when I was in 3 RCR, and that beast is amazing. Mud, Sand, Snow, Water (yes, it's excellent for amphibious ops) nothing would stop this thing, except rolling it. Which is very easy to accomplish, while I didn't do so myself, a couple other drivers found this out while doing a monthly parade and test drive of it... ;D

I'm surprised that they aren't used more than they are.

We (British Army) had problems on Mount Igman during the savage winter of 1995 during the Bosnian war. Winter track was not biting and our warriors, CVRT and 432s were not performing. Our Land Rovers were ok using snow chains but they were not armoured. We took delivery of a handfull of BVs so that we could keep our resups going until a break in the weather(they were considered armoured but I think I preferred the Land Rover myself!).

The Bv was an essential piece of kit at that time and I'm glad we could borrow them from the Royal Marines

Caught some footage of British troops in battle over in Afghanistan, in the background was a BV210 on the reverse slope giving fire support.

That was probably the new Viking version. They are mounting .50 cal on them now so they make graet mobile fire support bases.

try this link to see the Viking in Afghanistan

http://www.operations.mod.uk/afghanistan/viking.wmv

Back