• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Buying a house once posted.

FyroniK said:
Old post here I know but its the closest I could find to my topic in search and isn't locked :).

If a CF Member isn't married, but buys a house and pays a mortgage, do they no longer pay rations/board? I've been trying to find this answer with no luck at all, obviously if you are married the answer is clear, but if you are not?

If anyone knows it is very much appreciated.

If you are single (no dependents) and paying a mortgage, you will not (or at least, should not) pay for quarters.  However, you will still pay for rations.  As you are not even in yet, I wouldn't advise buying a house, unless you are prepared to sell it or rent it when you're not posted where the house is located.  I also wouldn't advise buying a house just to not pay for quarters.

PMedMoe said:
...... unless you are prepared to sell it or rent it when you're not posted where the house is located. ...
Huge point here.

'prepared'.

If you're an investor and you are doing your research on the market and decide it is in your interests to buy said house., go for it.  In that case, wherever you're posted you'll naturally end up being provided public R&Q no, I'm sure you'd need to jump through a few hurdles and maybe a miracle or too?  But you're single and without a family and dependants so dealing with the stress of selling after a short period would be more manageable than if you had to deal with two adults + children ON TOP of the posting lol.

Buying a house is one of the single-most important decisions you're going to make, don't do it hastily....but at the same time, don't drag your heels on it.  I'm wondering if the military 'can' make it far easier to buy&sell houses than any other employer I'd venture a guess.

Back