• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BQ MP not allowed to comment in Veterans Week House of Commons discussion

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
From Hansard (exchange also attached if link doesn't work):
.... Mr. Louis Plamondon (Bas-Richelieu—Nicolet—Bécancour, BQ):  Mr. Speaker, on behalf of the Bloc Québécois and all of its members, I would also like to pay tribute to our veterans.  I rise here today to recognize Veterans' Week. It is very important to commemorate—

The Speaker: The hon. member must have unanimous consent to respond to a minister's statement.  Does the House give unanimous consent?

Some hon. members: Agreed.

Some hon. members: No.

The Speaker: There is no consent.

Hon. Bob Rae:  Mr. Speaker, I rise on a point of order. Let the record show that when a member of the House rose to pay tribute to the veterans of our country on behalf of his political party, a party with which I do not agree, the members of the Conservative Party would not allow that member to speak.  It is shameful that there are people in this House who do not want to hear the opinions of others. It is shameful.

Mr. Stephen Woodworth:  Mr. Speaker, I want to raise an objection to what the member just said. There is no question that I said nothing in response to the request for unanimous consent. I do not know how many of my colleagues over here did or did not. It is inappropriate for the member to make that a partisan comment by referencing the members on this side of the House.

The Speaker:  Order, please. The Chair sought the consent of the House and consent was not given.

Mr. Louis Plamondon:  Mr. Speaker, I would like to seek unanimous consent once again, as dean of this House, as a member of this House. Like all other members, I would like to pay tribute to veterans on behalf of the four members of my party. I also ask on behalf of the Green Party. I do not see this as a partisan act. I see it simply as a noble gesture in order to say to those individuals who went and fought, and those who gave their lives, that we pay tribute to them.  How is it that I cannot get unanimous consent? This is not meant to be a precedent that I will use any other time. Today is a special day. That is all. I simply want to pay tribute to veterans, like everyone else, as we have always done.  I am seeking unanimous consent and I appeal to the Conservative members to grant it. It is only fair. The minister said in his speech that this House is a symbol of our freedom and democracy. He said that. I think I should have the right to speak.

Hon. Gordon O'Connor:  Mr. Speaker, the Standing Orders say, in response to a minister's statement, that only members of recognized parties can make statements. The Bloc is not a recognized party ....
I know rules are rules, but doesn't this give the BQ more ammo re: their "Quebec isn't listened to/allowed to speak" messaging? *

* - Yes, I KNOW "not allowing the BQ to speak in this case" =/= "not allowing Quebec to be heard in general", but I suspect the BQ's messaging isn't going to be quite that nuanced.

Michael O'Leary said:
Isn't that what Quebec said in the last election?

Exactly. Quebec decided that the BQ no longer speaks for them. I don`t think there`s an issue of this looking like Quebec is not being allowed to be heard.

Well I guess the Bloc, is being blocked.

*puts on sun glasses* ;D

I think the Quebecois......... have hit a road bloc...

*Sunglasses... exit left...

Denying an independent member the right to speak for the non-existent (in parliament because they have too few seats to be recognized as a party) BQ is correct parliamentary procedure but the opposition will, as Bob Rae did, use it as an example of a Tory "cheap shot" at anything non-Tory and as an example of their disdain for vets. Some of the mud may stick.

Vocab is important ERC. The Bloc is not "non-existent". It is an official party that is listed as such on the list of parties kept by the chief electoral officer. However, it is not a "recognized" party in Parliament for the purpose of benefiting from the various perks and amenities granted a "recognized" party.

The fact that the party is not "recognized" doesn't mean that "thou shalt never speak thy name" in Parliament. The NDP could have made the presentation stating that they were doing so on behalf of the Bloc had they wished to do so.

Personnaly, I think all that this type of exchange will end up doing is to leave Canadian wondering why they pay little babies that much money to play such infantile games.

Back