• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Blue Toenails

kas

Inactive
Reaction score
A couple of my toenails recently turned blueish and are very sore. I did some research using Google; apparently this is not unheard of for distance runners and it just means I've bruised them and have to wait for them to (probably) fall off. I didn't find any information on how to prevent this from reoccurring though and was hoping people here might have some suggestions. For reference, I believe this problem developed as a result of the 16km walk I did on the weekend. I was wearing a pair of running shoes I recently retired to "walking" shoes and a pair of thin Running Room socks.

Thanks,

kas.

That may be caused by your toenails being too long.  Or your shoes being too short/tight.

Trim your toe nails, tighten your boots/shoes.

2023 said:
Trim your toe nails, tighten your boots/shoes.
and look into getting a half-size larger. Go to the Running Room. They can help.

I'm inclined to think the problem might actually have been the socks, since I usually wear ones that are much thicker. Would that make sense? I keep my toenails trimmed. I've logged a couple hundred kms in those shoes, hundreds more in the previous two pairs that were the same brand and size, was fitted for them all at the Running Room, and have been very happy with my shoes overall. The socks are the only variable I've changed recently.

kas.

Socks being too snug do cause ingrown toenails - if they are thick and too snug, I'm sure your nails will take a bit of a beating.  If there is actually a hematoma (a collection of blood) bleow the nail and it's reasonably fresh, you can evacuate it by taking a safety pin and gently drilling down through until the pressure is relieved.  The more drastic approach is take a paper clip and unwind it, heat the tip until it's red hot and quickly and firmly push it through the nail - the heat and pressure will burn a hole through it and relieve the hematoma some.  If it's old, well, you'll have to let the nail grow out.  If it comes loose, put a bandaid over it to keep it from snagging in the socks until it's ready to fall off - the new nail coming in will push it off for you or you can get someone to remove it.

MM

Oh my gosh. I don't think I have ever seen something that made me wiggle in my chair and cringe so much.

George Wallace said:
Then again Pea........we never thought to ask if it was Nail Polish.   ;D

:rofl: You could have saved me from having to watch that video George!!

Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. I'll try different socks and look into larger shoes; I'm due for new runners this month anyways. I'll just leave my nails to heal / fall off / whatever it is they're going to do on their own though. I'm way too squeamish about toenail injuries (oddly enough) to do anything else, lol, I didn't even dare watch the video recceguy linked.

kas.

kas said:
Thanks for all the suggestions and feedback. I'll try different socks and look into larger shoes; I'm due for new runners this month anyways. I'll just leave my nails to heal / fall off / whatever it is they're going to do on their own though. I'm way too squeamish about toenail injuries (oddly enough) to do anything else, lol, I didn't even dare watch the video recceguy linked.kas.

Smart Move!! Me and my curiosity...YUCK!

i have seen that before and each time i see it, it makes me cringe and feel nauseated...lol

*CDN*Blackhawk said:
i have seen that before and each time i see it, it makes me cringe and feel nauseated...lol

Well at least it's not just me being a "wussy girl".. ;D

Okay maybe I am just sick and morbid :P I had to watch it 2x. I laughed the first time and thought.. Hmm did this person do this for enjoyment?

I bet that stung like a b*tch!

...I hate when my toes get messed up and reasonably so. That removal made me cringe a little.

Modified: sentence structure corrected.

Back