• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bivi Bag Quality

Leoiimqc

Inactive
Reaction score
Greetings,

I tested my bivi bag's waterproofness, but after 1 minutes in water, it got all wet inside. I am wondering is it normal or I got a bad kit?

Thank you

Not abnormal. Get yourself some Nikwax Tx wash in, follow the instructions, and you'll be good to go. It's a breathable fabric that requires some care every once in a while, with a DWR coating being a huge help in providing some protection from the elements.

Flavus101 said:
And in the meantime just use a garbage bag as an inner liner.

If you like to sleep cold, do as suggested here. If you don't, follow what I posted. Use your ground sheet and you will not have an issue. It may not be sexy, but it works.

Leo said:
Greetings,

I tested my bivi bag's waterproofness, but after 1 minutes in water, it got all wet inside. I am wondering is it normal or I got a bad kit?

Thank you

Throw it in your dryer on the hottest setting and retest

Leo said:
Greetings,

Thank you
If it is already used then it might just be a small hole or many if the previous user slept on a raspberry/blackberry bush. Do the test slowly and see if you can see the hole. If one or a few, you can patch them (seam tape, air mattress patches, etc. ) if there are dozens or you can't find them, do the dryer or fabric coating (minwax, etc. only if goretex approved) to restore the water repellency.
If many big holes, bring it back to clothing stores; they may exchange it or tell you to suck it up.

Chimo!

acen said:
If you like to sleep cold, do as suggested here. If you don't, follow what I posted. Use your ground sheet and you will not have an issue. It may not be sexy, but it works.

I definitely confused myself with a valise bag. Disregard the garbage bag idea  ::)

Flavus101 said:
I definitely confused myself with a valise bag. Disregard the garbage bag idea  ::)

OK?

Which is it?

Old soldiers always lined their valise with a HEAVY duty garbage bag.  I even doubled that effect, by using my bivi bag inside the garbage bag, when stuffing my sleeping bag and other items inside the valise.

Sleeping in a garbage bag inside a bivi bag is how you get hypothermia in the cold.  You need fabrics that 'breath'.

George Wallace said:
OK?

Which is it?

Old soldiers always lined their valise with a HEAVY duty garbage bag.  I even doubled that effect, by using my bivi bag inside the garbage bag, when stuffing my sleeping bag and other items inside the valise.

Sleeping in a garbage bag inside a bivi bag is how you get hypothermia in the cold.  You need fabrics that 'breath'.

You've got it George. My normal configuration is ruckack --> heavy garbage bag --> bivi bag --> stuff.

Here's what Gortex has about restoring water repellency:

Restoring Water Repellency

Yes, that's how to do it. Lining the valise bag with a heavy duty garbage bag is the way to go. I've never attempted repairing a bivi bag so cannot speak on that.

A lot of people line the main compartment of their ruck with a garbage bag or put their stuff in a dry sack/compression sack as well.

Flavus101 said:
Yes, that's how to do it. Lining the valise bag with a heavy duty garbage bag is the way to go. I've never attempted repairing a bivi bag so cannot speak on that.

A lot of people line the main compartment of their ruck with a garbage bag or put their stuff in a dry sack/compression sack as well.

Exactly.  Some even go so far as to break down their clothing sets into Freezer bags for quicker access when headed to shower points, quick changes, etc.  Main thing is keeping your kit dry.

If you find a hole and can't get your bag exchanged,  these work well as an interim fix. 

http://www.mec.ca/product/5002-436/gear-aid-gore-tex-repair-kit/?Ntk=productsearch_en_q32008&h=10+50039&q=gortex

George Wallace said:
Exactly.  Some even go so far as to break down their clothing sets into Freezer bags for quicker access when headed to shower points, quick changes, etc.  Main thing is keeping your kit dry.
Also makes it easy to organize your clothing.

Yup, a roll of that and a pack of these,  you've got everything you possibly need from the SQMS and the UMS.

cepacol-box-300x300.jpg

Leo said:
Can I do that? The washing label said dryer setting at low.

I haven't had an issue doing it with civilian or military gear in over twenty years. 

Back