• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Best Marches

I never liked the PPCLI Medley.  And now that we have moved to Shilo, I would like to see the 2nd Battalions march changed from Marche Winnipeg to something else.  Any suggestions?  I'm partial to the Imperial March by John Williams.

sigpig said:
I can't believe no one has mentioned the PPCLI   medley of "Has Anyone Seen the Colonel?", "Tipperary" and "Mademoiselle from Armmentieres."   I've never marched to them, but I can't think of a more rousing group of songs to sing after a drink (or two, or ....) at a mess dinner. That brings back some good memories   :D

As far as marching to a song, "British Grenadiers" was my first and remains my favourite unit march.

Island Ryhno said:
The Banks of Newfoundland. Biased as I am! Also CHE these are NOT marches but they are military related songs that get played out here on the rock alot, "Waltzing Matilda" and the reply to Waltzing Matilda which is "The Green Fields Of France" or "William McBride" I prefer the Tommy Makem and the Clancy Brothers version.   :D

Several of us in the 1st Bn tried to convince the Co that either The Band Played Waltzing Matilda and/or Willie McBride/Green Fields of France would make an appropriate slow march (listen to them, they're right tempo) for the Regiment (Gallipoli and Somme). The Band Captain wouldn't even listen to the arguments for it.

As a Marching Off Tune how about The Black Bear, even the troops get involved in it.

Danjanou, you're correct of course, they would make very fitting and appropriate marches. I guess it's true you can lead a horse to water but you cannot make him drink. Unless it's the BlackHorse who of course is the drink and well you know  8)

Art Johnson said:
As a Marching Off Tune how about The Black Bear, even the troops get involved in it.

This is standard in our Regiment, Art - I hope it is with all Highland units!  And yes, the troops love it.  Not just troops, even family members.

Here's som marches:

For Higland rgt's: Hihgland laddie, Scotland the brave, Rowan tree, Old Rustic Bridge, Wings, Green Hills of Tyroll, and so on...

For the rest: RCAF Marcha past, Vive la canadienne, The longest day, Sambre et Meuse, and many more

As a piper I couldn't resist posting to this thread.  I agree that 6/8's rock (MacNeil of Ugadale is nice and I quite enjoy Dr. Ross's  50th Welcome to Argyllshire Highland Gathering) but I would state that 2/4's are also very good.  I am partial to tunes by Donald Macleod, but I also like the traditional military tunes many such as Black Bear with Caller Herring, and The Meeting of the Waters that have already been mentioned.  The Barren Rocks of Aden is also a fine tune, and I also like Leaving Port Askaig as well as Lord Alexander Kennedy.  Surprisingly, I didn't see mention of Coc* of the North as a marching favourite.

The Kilworth Hills is a good 4/4 for a procession and for slow marches there is always the Skye Boat Song and the Highland Cradle Song.  For funerals Dark Island and Lord Lovat's Lament work well as light music.

The old rifle brigade march "I'm Ninety-five" though not a pipe tune is also a great lift.

I was going to post "Wait For The Wagon", the march of the Royal Canadian Army Sevice Corps, but I read the thread and was pleased to see I was not the only one who remembers it!

Does anyone have sheet music for it?

And if anyone out there was ever in 138 Tpt Coy RCASC, this one is for you!

You can listen to it, here:  http://freepages.music.rootsweb.com/~edgmon/stwaitforwagon.htm

Information Lyrics
The words and music were written by R. Bishop Buckley (of Buckley's Minstrels) and George P. Knauff. It was first published in Baltimore in 1851.   During the Civil War Southerners had a parody The Southern Wagon.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R. Bishop Buckley
Chorus:
Wait for the wagon,
Wait for the wagon,
Wait for the wagon,
And we'Il all take a ride.

1. Will you come with me, my Phyllis dear,
To yon blue mountain free ?
Where the blossoms smell the sweetest,
Come rove along with me.

Chorus:

It's every Sunday morning,
When I am by your side,
We'll jump into the wagon
And all take a ride.

Chorus:

2. Where the river runs like silver
And the birds they sing so sweet,
I have a cabin, Phyllis,
And something good to eat;

Come listen to my story,
It will relieve my heart;
So jump into the wagon,
And off we will start.

Chorus:

3. Do you believe, my Phyllis, dear,
Old Mike, with all this wealth,
Can make you half so happy
As I, with youth and health?

We'Il have a little farm,
A horse, a pig and a cow;
And you will mind the dairy,
While I do guide the plough.

Chorus:

4. Your lips are red as poppies,
Your hair so slick and neat,
All braided up with dahlias,
And hollyhocks so sweet.
It's ev'ry Sunday morning,
When I am by your side,
We'Il jump into the wagon,
And all take a ride.

Chorus:

5. Together, on life's journey,
We'll travel till we stop,
And if we have no trouble,
We'll reach the happy top;

Then come with me, sweet Phyllis,
My dear, my lovely bride,
We'Il jump into the wagon,
And all take a ride.

Chorus:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Our wagon's plenty big enough;
It's running gear is good.
'Tis stuffed with cotton round its sides
And made of Southern wood.
Chorus:
Wait for the wagon,
The new Jeff Davis wagon.
The South is our wagon,
And we'll all take a ride.

2. Carolina is the driver,
With Georgia by her side.
Virginia will hold our flag up,
And we'll all take a ride.
Chorus:

I read through the whole thread, and just thought I'd ad my two cents. My favourite brass-band march is Voice of the Gun. I'm also a big fan of the PPCLI March Past, I will admit, as well as the Logistic Corp Marchpast. It's too bad that I dislike my own Regimental march (the RCMP Marchpast) but it is growing on me as a pipe tune.

As far as pipe tunes, Green Hills/Battles Over is way over done. I enjoy the 6/8 like any piper, adds a little something to the march, Mrs Lily Christie is quite a catchy tune. I will admit, that Scotland The Brave/Wings, when played well does sound fantastic. I'm not a fan of Black Bear though, I swear it is the only tune that some people know, who want to sound like they know pipe music. They're not marches, but my favourite pipe tunes of all time are Sands of Kuwait, Rose of Kelvingrove and Highland Cathedral. Road to the Isles is a great slow march. The band has started working on The Gael. Wow. Even just starting on it, I think it sounds fabulous, so I'll have to ad that to my lists of faves!

Regimental Marches of The Parachute Regiment

Quick March: Ride of the Valkyries (Wagner. arr Rippon, Keeling)

Slow March: Pomp & Circumstance March No 4 (Elgar. arr Hicks)

TCBF said:
I was going to post "Wait For The Wagon", the march of the Royal Canadian Army Sevice Corps, but I read the thread and was pleased to see I was not the only one who remembers it!

Does anyone have sheet music for it?

And if anyone out there was ever in 138 Tpt Coy RCASC, this one is for you!

You can listen to it, here:   http://freepages.music.rootsweb.com/~edgmon/stwaitforwagon.htm

My former unit was 331 Tpt Coy RCASC. Great song.. thanks.

TA40 and I must be thinking of a different Road to the Isles.

Sorry the only tune I can find is a crappy midi, but it should give you an idea, I'd like to here the 48th Pipes on this one...link to midi. Click 'Download Tune'.

I recall my grandfather whistling this tune many years ago. It still rings true.

Remembrance Day just past I was in a small det sent to a town outside Tronna. They had a very small pipe band but they did play this, quite a lilt.

Tipperary has got to be up there (not played nearly enough). 'Course I'm also partial to My Boy Willy.

A couple more-
                Garry Owen -USArmies 7 Cav. Regt. march
                Col. Bogie
                Marine Corps Hymn
                Amazing Grace by The band of The Royal Scots Dragoon Guards the only march that made it
to no. 1 on the hit parade!.
                The Russian Nation Anthem sung by the Red Army Choir
                Ride of the Valkurie , Wagner, Watched 4 Bundeswehr Loepard 2s roar onto the firing point
at the last Canada Cup to this music played on a great speaker system set up for the competition,left
a lasting impression.This music was also used in the air assualt scene in Appocallipse Now .
                And at the risk of being accused of knowing anything about Highland music the Black Bear ,Go
the Watch.
                Regards

The EME Regimental march past has always been my fav
It is a combination of:
Aupres De Ma Blonde/ Lillibulero
A .wav of the March Past can be found at this link, as well as the words.
http://www.forces.gc.ca/admmat/dglepm/emebranch/branch_history/branch_history_e.htm  :tank:

Arte et Marte

Here is a collection of infantry marches:

http://www.ducimus.com/Marches.htm

My favourite is The Meeting of the Waters (of course!  ;D )
http://www.ducimus.com/mp3/The%20Meeting%20of%20the%20Waters.mp3

I also like:
The Highland Laddie (and most Highlander marches)
http://www.ducimus.com/mp3/Highland%20Laddie.mp3

British Grenadiers
http://www.ducimus.com/mp3/The%20British%20Grenadiers.mp3

48th Highlanders (not in this list)

Personally, I don't think The Maple Leaf Forever makes a good march...it should be our rightful national anthem!  :salute:

For pipes, The March of The Cameron Men (but as a Cameron and former CHofO I might be a bit prejudiced), and of course,  Black Bear.    For brass slow and quick marches there's Scipio, The Dutchess of Kent, and The Grenadier's Slow March. Lutzow's Wild Hunt tops my list for Rifle/Light Infantry marches. But for goose-stepping impressiveness, nothing beats Prussian Glory.

Che said:
Trying to compile a CD of Marches and I've got my personal Favourites but I was wondering if anyone would like to add.
Some of them aren't marches, so much as they are military themed Music, but I would appreciate marches:

Heart of oak (of course)
Under the Double Eagle
Rule Britannia (The version I have is more..marchy)
Sunset

These are my few absolute favourites, I would like to hear any other suggestions, I'm aiming for about 22 tracks.

And I don't mean a Jodie, if I read anything about C-130's, Paratroopers or how you want to be Navy SEALS I will...well I won't wipe the post, but you've been warned about it. *stinkeye*

Che hit the Militia Highland Regimental web sites most have those down load thingee's ? MPJ's?
All the regimental march's and slow march's.
I did have them on my fav. web site's but forgot to put on my new puter.

Couple of my favourites are: Preobrajensky March (slow written by Donajowsky arr Sir Vivian Dunn), San Carlos March (written by Capt John Ware). I found this link to be quite useful for a listing of CF Marches and accompanied by some midis etc:

http://my.tbaytel.net/tgroulx/marches.htm

At my old unit we had "Farewell to Nova Scotia" on the pipes. During the march pass, it would made you so proud to serve this nation. I love it.

Flagge.gif

bugs_pipes.gif

Back