• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Berets and How to Form Them

The kitshop in Wainwright carrys them, I would assume most kitshops on reg force bases would have them.

Theirs also the PPCLI Kitshop
http://kitshop.ppcli.com/

I got mine in WATC, cost me around $12

Where on the ppcli kitshop...I looked through the site and cant see any.

Go here - http://kitshop.ppcli.com/index.php?osCsid=b8142fbf3c7c2a6da6f44071d0255cf9
Then here - PDF Catalogue for the Kit Shop "Right Click - Save As Here!"
after you have saved and then opened the PDF, go to page 39, item #2127

A suggestion regarding "Belgique" berets: Buy it one size larger -that is, if you normally wear 7 3/8 buy 7 1/2. Your head fits into it differently - at least mine does. The ones you see at most kitshops actually have the brand name "Parkhurst" in them. The are the shizit. If you see a "Codeba" one in a kitshop, that I think is the real "Belgique" beret and it is really expensive. If you get one of those don't take the liner out, they look very classy the way they are. But the Parkhurst ones are what alot of people end up getting instead of the issue ones and you can take the liner out or some guys even leave it in if it's formed right. I don't know why they don't just issue those ones instead.

Huh, I would never have thought of freezing the beret...thats a pretty cool idea.

As for cutting the liner out....wait out! If you haven't even started basic yet, you will most likely wind up getting more grief than you need for slicing it out. The whole, "Well golly, Master Corporal, it just fell out..." line is BS, and they know it.

Taking the liner out does help shape the beret, but waiting until after your courses will save you some potential heartache.

:dontpanic:
A.A.

If the leather on the issued beret starts peeling and turns brown, simply apply some boot blackener to fix it up.

Make sure however;

1)  You don't get the blackener on the actual beret part (unless your a black-hatter, you can than use blackener to color over the crap that refuses to come out)

2)  Don put the beret on immediatly after applying the blackener, doing so will result in a black ring around your head.  ;D

Better solution for the band then boot blackener, just use a black permaent marker, you've got less worries about it rubbing off on stuff, and it's far easier to apply.

What most of the people have said works the best, just where it in the shower, or put it in a bowl of hot water, and form it. Taking the liner out actually does help aswell.

Rangers Lead The Way!

I tried to put it in the hot water, but it does not really help alot. However, wear it during the shower is much better.

I did IAP this summer, and our staff were quite serious about us not modifying our kit in any manner. Therefore, i did not remove the liner, shave it, freeze it, soak it or anything. To avoid a gourmet caporal-chef prepared c0ck sandwich, what you can do is to put the beret on your head, hold the stiff part (the part that your capbadge will go on) in place with your left hand, and pet the loose stuff down to the right for a few minutes. I'm sure that the other methods have merit, however you can have a fine looking beret with far less trouble.
Take Care

BOOMER004 said:
After you cut the liner out soak it in hot water form it let it dry. Then take a razor and shave all the fuzzy bits off. Martha Stewart calls it "Antiquing" That way it will not attract as many stole away dust bunnies.

What do you mean by shaving it

- Shawn

People argue about whether shaving the Baret is necessary.  I did it... it can't hurt.  It makes the finish smoother and reduces little bits of "fluff" coming off the Baret.  What does it mean?  Get the Baret totally wet.  Take a BIC razor (or some other brand of disposable razor) and "shave" the Baret the way you would a beard.  Do it all around, in all directions.  Takes a few minutes.  Rince the razor after every stroke, or else the fuzz will gum-up the razor.
Also - I fully concurr - the liner MUST be removed.  If you don't remove the liner, the Baret will look very world war II-ish (puffy and ridiculous).

Yea, I Just checked the PPCLI doesn't have the berets up the site anymore, maybe their out of stock? Try emailing them. The only other place I know of that sells them is on base in the kitshop.

I got my belgian beret the same size as my head, formed fine for me, I also cut out the liner.

As for cutting out the liner on the issued beret an basic, I removed my liner before I went on course an no one said boo about it. I guess it all depends on your course staff.

Ultimately they can rant and scream and shout on your course about something like that, but it's all for-show.  Guaranteed most of the course instructors have removed the liners in their barets.  A baret is a non-return item, so it's not a big deal.  After they've finished screaming at you on course, nobody is going to phone up the MPs and have you charged... trust me.

P Kaye said:
People argue about whether shaving the Baret is necessary.   I did it... it can't hurt.  

Am am only a Cdt, but all we use is berets. And one of my cadets actually cut his beret while shaving it. I don't know how hard you would have to press to do that, but he managed to do it. So you can actually harm it if you try.

Instead of using a razor to shave your beret...you could buy one of those fuzz shavers and use that instead.  Cost me about 10 bucks and runs on a C battery.  Works well to keep the fuzz down and quick as well.

Oh crap... I just realised I've been mis-spelling "beret" in my postings.  That's embarassing. :-\

1. Wet beret.....with naptha

2. Apply match....

3.Go to the RQ and draw your balmoral ;D

Back