• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Basic Questions

• Thread starter Thread starter Infintry
  • Start date Start date
I

Infintry

Hi, i‘m from Cold Lake, AB. I am interested in joining the infintry, but my dad says he would only let me join as an officer. Is there anything I can do now, that will help my chances of getting in later? And what are some good Universitys I can look at? Thank you!

by the time ure in university, u wont need ure dads permission to join as an officer. Look into RMC tho if u want to be an officer, best place to go. Free Room, Board, Education, Pay, and all u need to give back is 4-8yrs to the military
Sgt, RCAC

yeah...dont look at it like that.
god **** freeloaders. lol, thats why RMC has a bad rep for a lot of the officers, too many ppl just doin it to get a free education and everything, and dont want to be there as their chosen career. I mean if you end up not liking it , or unable to do it fine. But joining with the plan of leaving after you server out a commision, i dunno, not the most honourable thing to do. Also, tell your dad to let you join cadets or the Army Reserve. This will give you a "look" at what life in the army is about. So that you can make sure that you really are able/want to do the infantry thing, without first commiting a good chunk of your life to it. And when you graduate from highschool, you wont need your dad‘s permission to join the infantry as a NCM. A lot of ppl dont realise that the NCM and Officer occuptions are drastically different. Officers a lot of the times dont get to do as nearly as much fun stuff.

But anyways, to increase chances of becoming an officer? well university degree is a must, lots of volenteer work, experiance with the army is nice, and leadership , like students council, or leading some sort of group or project. Physical Fitness is also a must.

I wouldnt free load it, im just saying what the requirements are. besides i dont wanna be an officer anyways.
Sgt, RCAC

sorry, I didnt mean to imply that you would leo :) just ranting, a lot of ppl annoy me who try to get into RMC for the wrong reasons.

Nothing is really tought at RMC that officers need to know...well not RMC exclusively.
As long as you have a degree you can apply to be an officer. If you are accepted you go to the Basic Officer Training Coarse, and then to occupational training.

If you went through RMC you would recieve a degree from there. You also do the same Basic Officer Training Coarse as the DEO‘s. With RMC however, the coarses are geared to a more military application of coarse, and you are surrounded by other Ocdts and the place is run as a military organization. It is also quite strict compared to civi university, such as getting leave and changing coarses and lights out and stuff like that.

Keep in mind that I have never been a member of RMC, we have a couple of people on this board, but I don‘t know if they post regularly. I‘ve been told anyways, that civi university with the reserves was the best way to go. You can get half your tuition payed, and have all the freedoms, and after you get your degree if you‘ve changed your mind and you no longer want to be an officer, you dont have to. As opposed to going through RMC, and signing a good chunk of your life away.

Not exactly true A-L, degree programs at RMC will now include the credits that constitute the Officer Professional Military Education (OPME) program. These six credits have replaced the Officer Professional Development Program (OPDP) which was a series of six (then 5) personal study packages with formal tests that all officers were required to somplete. The OPME is a series of six university credits taken by correspondence, and those who don‘t pick them up at RMC (anyone who is Direct Entry, Commissioned From the Ranks, or civilian university ROTP) will be required to register for the programn and take them on their own time. The OPME is a requirement for all officers, and those who go through RMC will have an edge over those picked up in other programs because they won‘t have this additional demand on their time and energy.

The six OPME Courses as listed in the RMC Continuing Studies Calendar for 2002-2003 are:

Introduction to Defence Management
Introduction to Military Law
Canadian Military History
The CF and Modern Society
Science and War
Leadership and Ethics

Mike

Just one more question, What can i do know that will help my chances of getting into the infantry later?

Thanks for helping guys.

future_infantry: The three most important things about being in the infantry are

1. fitness
2. fitness
and
3. fitness

You don‘t need super high scores on the aptitude test, you don‘t need colour vision, or even 20/20 vision, you don‘t need Canadian citizenship, a high school diploma or a university degree. BUT, the infantry is a very very very physically demanding job. I would venture to say that it‘s almost entirely physical, but that wouldn‘t be true. It is also very mentally stressing, especially when you get into leadership positions, but the physicality is the primary aspect.

The better shape you‘re in, the easier it will be on you. In particular, upper body strength and cardio fitness. Infantry types love running, pushups, chinups, and heavy lifting. Learn to like running, a lot (or at least to tolerate it), and try to get your body fat down farely low, keeping within healthy norms. Go on long runs, long walks with weight on your back, lots of time in the gym on upper body weights, and just get fit.

Call your local recruiter. Different MOC‘s have different age limits. I myself am not aware of an age cut-off that is written in stone. If you are 35 then you will be aloud to apply for the army.

I was thinking of applying for a job for para or infantry any pointers?

lol, yeah, you can‘t just apply for para, you have to go infantry first, and even then, its bloody difficile to get your wings.

Back