• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Ban on Sunday shopping in Nova Scotia lifted

Nova Scotia has finally entered the new century. Finally, I can now go to Future Shop on sunday for some speaker wire and go to the grocery store for some flour. Now what other ways can we be more progressive?

Now how come they couldn't do this before I went back for a visit last summer for the first time in 19 years?

Felt like I had gone back in time.

There are many reasons why Nova Scotia never had sunday shopping. After all with the low job markets and no real prospect for growth meant that the best and brightest of Nova Scotia has moved on leaving only hill people and the old.
Both groups are set in their ways and are very religious. Sunday shopping was seen as bad." How can we have sunday shooping and still respect the lord". they say as they file out of church on their way to Frenchies or Tim Horton's or some restaurant to get some goods.
Shopping on sunday is sinful. Single Moms who already work for minimum wage will chained to the cash registers to work on gods day. (she wouldn't be a single mom is she hadn't sinned in the first place would she )

I am happy that there is sunday shopping. It may give teenagers a chance at getting that much needed afterschool job, so they can stop hanging around the corner store and planning their next B and E (Break and Enter) And maybe it might motivate some of these fat toothless slobs to get off of their haunches and start working for the better than keep complaining about how much they don't have or better yet keep them from breeding.

My biggest dream is that sunday shopping will give people hope and aspirations to move out of their parents home by the age of 20 and get some work. The more they work the less they will overpopulate the province with their inbred snot nosed children, whose only aspiration is to buy a dodge neon and soup it up with a spoiler and mag wheels. Or maybe wear some hip hugging jeans with a really cool belt so you can show off your fat dough belly and stretch marks.

just my 2 cents  ;D

The religious factor wasn't the only factor.  The reason it came to the fore is because NB was drawing many Sunday Shoppers over the border into Moncton as a good example.  There was a factor that workers in these stores would forced to work weekends.  I don't know about it all, but to criticise people for opposing anything on religious grounds is petty.

...I was quite annoyed this morning by the attitude displayed by two Superstore employees toward the ruling.  I wasn't so much irritated by their overt display of discontent while working in a customer service environment, but by the incredibly closed-minded and ignorant statements they were making.  As someone working in the tech field, having always worked weekends (and holidays for that matter) was, for me, a normality.

Leaving the issue of professionalism aside, to hear "why should we have to give up our Sundays" and "next it will be our holidays..."  and "we aren't an essential service, why should we be open?" coming from these two, one of whom was a manager, irked me a bit.  I can understand their point of view, resisting change is a given...but for a good chunk fo the population, working on Sundays has been the norm for quite some time, and not just in IT.  

Sorry if this came across as a rant...was just more of an observation.

mover1 said:
... only aspiration is to buy a dodge neon and soup it up with a spoiler and mag wheels.

You must live near me.  On a side note, I was driving out toward Fall river earlier this summer, and passed a white Ford Contour on the highway.  Driven by the usual wee gangsta, it had unpainted side skirts, without the requisite front or rear body kit.  The kicker was though, the high-rise aluminium spoiler hanging off the rear deck of the car, as it had been bolted on backwards, with the curved portion of the spoiler actually facing the wind.  Had to laugh.

Edited to include quote and irrelevant story.  And spelling.

Von Garvin missed my sarcasim on the last post. Oh well  :-[

New Brunswick is NOT in close proximity of Nova Scotia. It is acessable from Cumberland County. But no one wants to travel 3 to 6 hours to go shopping on a sunday in Moncton. New Brunswicks rules had little effect on us. It did serve as a role model to us though. Anywho I am just clad because in Greenwood not only is the sunday shopping rule very much wanted but we are also getting a new Canadian Tire

mover1 said:
There are many reasons why Nova Scotia never had sunday shopping. After all with the low job markets and no real prospect for growth meant that the best and brightest of Nova Scotia has moved on leaving only hill people and the old.

So you've met my wifes family?  :D

I am from Halifax (lived in Fall River last ironically enough -) and everytime I've gone back to visit (this past summer included) the non-shopping Sunday still threw me for a loop. I guess it was becasue I am in Ontario now. I always figured it made for a perfect "recovery day" after a good Saturday night pub circuit.

I can remember when my dad was first posted to Ontario I was 15 and wanted an aftershcool job - My dad's one stipulation was that it had to be a place where I would not be required to work on Sundays. I was lucky enough to find such a job - but it definatly limited my search! Of course then I joined the military and that all went out the window. I know with my family it was a religious thing - dad being a padre and all.

I always thought the reason that Sunday shopping was never approved was because the vote was included in the ballot for other elections (ie municipal+referendum Oct 2004) and there was just adequate voter turnout. I just figured it was the folks who didn't want Sunday shopping who actually made it to the polls. In the last Halifax Election there was a 54% turn out....

but that is just my theroy...

Now if we can get Ontario to open its beer stores on holidays so an Alberta boy like me doesnt have to go from campsite to campsite trying to buy beer for Canada Day, then I will accept that Canada is fully commited to moving forward.

Sunday shopping  doesn't  solve unemployment at all I have lived in the town of Trenton for 20 years  and there are still whole families  that live on wealfare . Its sad really   and as fare as I am concerned there is no need for people to be on the wealfare  system  there are at least   5 call centers between Trenton and Belleville and there always hiring in fact the one that I work at  is screaming for people .  Plus there are all the restaurant, stores , and Temp agencies in the area and there hiring to .  I personal believe that if really want to work you can find a job at least in this area .  I have personale always had job sense as long as I can remember  it may have been a crap job but that is better than the alternative  

mover1 said:
Von Garvin missed my sarcasim on the last post. Oh well  :-[

New Brunswick is NOT in close proximity of Nova Scotia. It is acessable from Cumberland County. But no one wants to travel 3 to 6 hours to go shopping on a sunday in Moncton. New Brunswicks rules had little effect on us. It did serve as a role model to us though. Anywho I am just clad because in Greenwood not only is the sunday shopping rule very much wanted but we are also getting a new Canadian Tire
Sorry bout missing the sarcasm in your post

Hey, I thought NB and NS were side by each ;)

Yes, was thinking specifically of Amherst and region. re: Moncton

The only reason we didn't have sunday shopping earlyer is because the vast majority of people 18 to 30 don't vote.  Most of the people who do vote are our parents and grandparents, retired church going resistive to change kinda people.  All the polls in Halifax before the plebiscite were for sunday shopping but once the votes were counted we lost.  No matter what...Nova Scotia is one backwards upside down kind of world where the sky is purple and the waters pink.  This Provence never ceases to amaze me.

Cheers

von Garvin said:
Hey, I thought NB and NS were side by each ;)

They are!!
von Garvin said:
Yes, was thinking specifically of Amherst and region. re: Moncton

And you'd be bang on. Speaking as one whose parents reside in the big booming industrial border-town of Amherst, NS and as one whose cottage is in Tidnish Bridge, Nova Scotia, let me assure you all that on Sundays when I pulled a trip into Port Elgin NB to pick up beer (a scant 10 minute drive from the cottage) or into Sackville, NB or Moncton NB to hit the grocery stores/Walmart or whatever, the sheer volume of cars bearing Nova Scotia tags was amazing.

Newspapers in Moncton actually carried "Thank You Nova Scotia" fliers when Sunday shopping was rejected by the voters in this newly modernized province.

Now...if I can only get the same thing to happen here in PEI...I might have something to do with myself on Sundays when stuck here on the Island with my red hair and freckles...still living in Anne's century.

I actually enjoy having the Island closed on Sunday for shopping.
The way we work hard here, I find Sunday should be a day of rest.

But, I can also agree, on some occasional circumstances, it would be nice to stroll downtown Ch'town and be able to do some shopping.

pinkbug said:
I actually enjoy having the Island closed on Sunday for shopping.
The way we work hard here, I find Sunday should be a day of rest.

But, I can also agree, on some occasional circumstances, it would be nice to stroll downtown Ch'town and be able to do some shopping.

They don't work any harder in this province than anywhere else. They do drive the worst of every province I've been to though!! Perhaps it's better if we keep them off the streets on Sunday!! Less people to run into me on my way to Timmies.

I am just glad that there is sunday shopping now. From listening to the radio you would think its the end of the world. As I see it it the province just created new jobs and all the  people on the radio can do is yammer about it.

Oh well I figure it will be like the smoking bans in most places. People forcast doom and gloom but eventually you get used to it and carry on.

Back