• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Back in the 'Wack'?

Lager and Ale

Inactive
Reaction score
The rumour mill is working again at the school!  I've heard from a couple of different sources that NDHQ is getting static from BC to get a reg. force unit back in the mainland BC.  I know that there is 3 reserve units there.  I'm just wondering what the chances of sending 1CER (or part of it) back to the 'wack'
Thoughts/opinions?
Cheers
Jim

Having been back through the old base & the city, I do not think Chilliwack has room for the regiment any more.

I don't think anyone would benefit from breaking the regiment into bits and parking it all about LFWA (or rather between JTFPA and JTFWA).

When I was with my old unit there was a lot of talk about a reg/reserve unit being stood up in Chilliwack again.. I'm light on details, but one of the reasons was disaster response and another was better training areas close-by. This was also two+ years ago though, so I'm not current on what is or has happened since.

Try here:  http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/30154/post-429569/topicseen.html#new 

"Gooday,

I am the recruiter for the 54 Engineer Squadron in Chilliwack.

Right now we are in the implementation phase. We are still awaiting our UIC so we can be recognized as a unit.  Until then it's my job to recruit enough people to fill the ranks. So that being said, If we could be added to the working list that would be greatly appreciated.

Here is our contact information:

54 Engineer Squadron Chilliwack
5535 Korea Rd
Chilliwack BC
V2R 5P2

Chimo!"

54 FES is an embryonic reserve unit, not the regular force presence described above.

Still it's a good start and there is more than ample room there and support for a reserve engineer unit. Might make sense to prepostion some emergancy supplies their instead of splitting up one of the CER's or you could just post all the guys over 40 there, just like the old days in Sleeply hollow.  ;)

Is the intent still that 54 FES will be a support sqn with a big chunk of Canada's MFB/MR?

MCG said:
Is the intent still that 54 FES will be a support sqn with a big chunk of Canada's MFB/MR?

I can see part of the MFB/MR stores for training as Cultus Lake is ice free all year round but the changes to the base no longer make it viable too stand up a Reg. not even a independent Fd.Sqn. unless the old expropriation happens and that would realy up set the local's.

Just got too Google Earth and look a the Sat photo' s of the base today there is even a race track there.
The new condo's built for the rank's are still there but all the old shack's are gone,the RCMP have the new old school of CFSME also all the CFOCS facilities.

I'm told that the CFOCS have been turned into a 5 star hotel, and that the race track is a high speed confidence course for the RCMP.  But personally, I can see a reason for one of the squadrons of 1CER to be deployed into BC.  Whether it be in the wack or else where...it just makes sense!  The Navy has got Victoria, and 4 Wing has got Comox, why not give the army(read: engineers) somewhere west of the great Davide???

Jim

Lager and Ale said:
But personally, I can see a reason for one of the squadrons of 1CER to be deployed into BC. 
Except this does not make operational sense to maroon a single squadron out there by itself.  It would remove it from regimental training and bring it far away from the manoeuvre units that we support on operations.  Effectively, such a move would make 50% of 1 CER irrelevant to our international operations.

Ok, then how bout standing up one of the reserve sqd'n to reg force?
(yeh, I know...dumb :P)

It could be that the Vancouver edition those big city 20/80 battalions will have an Engr component. (http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/36924/post-313922.html#msg313922)

Interestingly enough, I read in the Nat Post this morning that a new university is standing up in Chilliwack on the grounds of the old CFB.  It's apparently affiliated with the WTO, and will be called the World Trade University- specializing in international trade issues.

Whether they're using the old buildings (the old/new CFSME building was a high school the last I saw it) or putting up new ones on the old terrain, it would seem that the back to the 'wack movement is dead. 

Back