• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

?B-Coy RM Rangers Shut Down?

Breu

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi... I was wondering why that on the cover page of this site http://army.ca/inf/rmrang.php still lists the Salmon Arm B-Coy, when its been shut down since 1994? Is there still active members in the Salmon Arm area? I know that the armory's still house's cadets... :salute:

The most likely explanation is that the info is out of date. If anyone knows the current information, I'd be happy to update the page.

Cheers
Mike

...and just like that B Coy has been stood down. :)

Thanks

My understanding is that there is an active UIC number for that unit and that there are a few soldiers in Salmon Arm who parade in Kamloops.  "B" company is of nil strength, but it still marches on paper.  If that circumstance has changed, it is news to me.

(edited to correct typo)

"...there are a few soldiers in Salmon Arm who parade in Kamloops."
I was the last soldier parading in Kamloops from Salmon Arm and I released on 31JAN2006.  There is one other reserve soldier in town who parades with the Dragoon's in Vernon.
Would have loved to parade in here…..
Greg

That's too bad.  The Militia has long had a presence in Salmon Arm for many years.

What happened to the armoury there?  I would hate to see an historically significant building like it to be torn down.  But I guess it would probably cost a fortune to modernise it too, in the event of B Coy's return.

Edit: Sorry Breu, I didn't read your post all the way through.  :-[

Thanks for the update Greg.  I understand that the circumstance of the defunct "B" company of Salmon Arm will be discussed in upcoming meetings of Brigade and LFWA.  The UIC number is apparently still active, even if the sub-unit itself is at nil strength.

The cadets are still using the armoury though I have heard rumours that it will be coming down sooner, rather than later.  If B Coy was up and running in Salmon Arm I would re-enlist in a heartbeat...
Greg

I was there in 1983 there were 40 guys from that part of the North Okanagan , but with lack of numbers and cut backs it was probably closed . Ive been in the PPCLI for 23 years now and Im thinkin about movin home . What the BC interior needs is more small Armouries so youth can try it and see if they like the Army, it worked for me. A big failure with recruitment is there is not a recruiting center in the Interior thus they dont reach the youth in the northern interior. Also if they expanded the RM Rang to Prince George and Quensel they would have probably the best recruiting area for bush experianced youth in Canada , due to generations of family members who were Loggers , miners and farmers. When I retire in 3 years Im going to try to set up in Valemount maybe I can start a unit there who knows what the future holds but I will try, Later Man!

54hawken said:
I was there in 1983 there were 40 guys from that part of the North Okanagan , but with lack of numbers and cut backs it was probably closed . Ive been in the PPCLI for 23 years now and Im thinkin about movin home . What the BC interior needs is more small Armouries so youth can try it and see if they like the Army, it worked for me. A big failure with recruitment is there is not a recruiting center in the Interior thus they dont reach the youth in the northern interior. Also if they expanded the RM Rang to Prince George and Quensel they would have probably the best recruiting area for bush experianced youth in Canada , due to generations of family members who were Loggers , miners and farmers. When I retire in 3 years Im going to try to set up in Valemount maybe I can start a unit there who knows what the future holds but I will try, Later Man!

Check out this thread here, where Redleafjumper is trying to start a unit in Prince George.

http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/19720.0.html

A group of really fine guys worked extremely hard to get B Coy  up and running in Salmon Arm back in the late '70s.  Salmon Arm area actually provided nearly 2/3 of the grunts for RM Rang in those days, thanks to the leadership of guys like George Beaveridge and Gerry Prieur.  Finally, the armory was re-purchased from the civvies who had bought it when RM Rang was Trudeauized.  Understand it has been sold again to civies. 

All this area needed was some leadership; it has always been a strong recruiting base.  Sad it didn't happen.

Back