• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

B.C. keeps $1.5b Submarine contract

There is a document that you can access on the DIN, its the minutes from a meeting regarding the submarine program and outlines several recommendations.

I would love to see the Chicoutimi out at sea again, I would love to see 2 subs on each coast too.  I do not think it would be futile.

geo said:
The most economical use of the Chicoutimi would be as an equivalent to the "stone frigates".... as a landlocked training ship....

It may make it economically feasible, but is realistic in a training sense? (I don't know...never BTDT)

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I would love to see 2 subs on each coast too. 

As i would i.  And i do not think it would be futile as well. I would welcome some Canadian subs to play with. I'm sick of EMATTs  ;D

If you had the Chicoutimi sitting alongside with working systems I guess in theory you could have Sputs crawling all over the place without disrupting the operational submarine.  This would take some of the strain off of the submarine fleet regarding training new submariners.

I will say though after crawling through 3 Victoria class submarines each in various stages of disarray, it does present a challenge when you are looking at an empty spot and say "this is where the ___________  is supposed to be".  Having a fully functional classroom would have been nice.  For the record I do think it would be a waste of a valuable asset to have tied up training the new guys.

I just wish they could bring the fleet online.  I do fear that they have lost some valuable experience over the past 10 years though, quite a few senior fellas have pulled the plug.

I too wish they would be online as well but better though then not having any subs in the navy as was the case when the O-Boats were all decommissioned.

The idea behind getting the Victorias was in maintaining submarine capability while we looked for the platforms we really wanted. Thats why the program was called "Submarine Capability Life Extension" (SCLE) rather than the previous "CAnadian Submarine Acquisition Project" (CASAP).

It's pretty clear that we're not getting new boats. They're certainly nowhere in the "Canada First" plan thats been announced. We also can't cost-effectively make the Victorias into the boats we do need. Just a new combat system and torpedoes would cost in the neighbourhood of $2 billion, and that still doesn't solve the range/endurance issues.

If we can't get new boats and the boats we do have can't do the job, do we ride the situation into the ground or do we get out now?

$1.5 billion would go a long way towards other high-priority programs in the CF.

drunknsubmrnr  maybe you should sober up and take a math course ,your 2 billion figure is complete fantasy. Your thinking that if we can't get new subs and it cost to much to upgrade means we also should get rid of the CF-18's, Aurora's, CPF'S and our 2nd hand leo's because they also cant't still do their jobs so are being upgraded at great cost.

cheers

STONEY said:
drunknsubmrnr  maybe you should sober up and take a math course ,your 2 billion figure is complete fantasy.

No, that's pretty close to what the Australians paid to replace the same combat system our boats now have, plus a torpedo upgrade from what they were using and we still use.

STONEY said:
Your thinking that if we can't get new subs and it cost to much to upgrade means we also should get rid of the CF-18's, Aurora's, CPF'S and our 2nd hand leo's because they also cant't still do their jobs so are being upgraded at great cost.

No, I said that the old boats were only bought to keep the capability alive until we could get ones that actually met the performance specs. We aren't going to get boats that meet the performance specs so maybe we should re-allocate the boats funding to something more useful. Like replacing the CPF's, or Auroras, or the CF-188's.

The sad fact of the matter is only an SSN has the true capabilities that the Canadian Navy needs for a real "Canada First" policy; and that would be a political kiss of death to whoever advocated for SSNs, without even going into the sourcing issues or costs associated with purchasing and maintaining such boats....

Thucydides said:
The sad fact of the matter is only an SSN has the true capabilities that the Canadian Navy needs for a real "Canada First" policy;

No.

A decent AIP submarine would be the ideal compromise between capability and cost ( as well as more politicaly acceptable).

CDN Aviator said:
No.

A decent AIP submarine would be the ideal compromise between capability and cost ( as well as more politicaly acceptable).

Why would AIP matter?

In any case, SSK/SSI can't deploy fast enough to be operationally effective in a "Canada First" strategy. They have an SOA of ~5 knots vs an SOA of ~30 knots for an SSN. That means an SSK/SSI has to turn around as soon as its hit the NW Passage, while an SSN can stay there for about 6 weeks.

I would think that an AIP would provide us with the ability to be able to stay submerged for a considerable amount of time longer then what we are currently capable of doing. Would that not be a benefit??

Yes, we won't get the speed that we would need if we went AIP, but for stealth, it would be perfect, would it not?

drunknsubmrnr said:
Why would AIP matter?

AIP matters because it provides the ability to operate submerged for long periods of time without having to stick up a pipe and snort. Now as far as your argument or deployment speed goes....well who says we have to deploy one from Halifax all the time. Why not have a sub on rotation deployed up north at regular intervals throughout the year. If the sub is already north ( i'm sure theres a port it can operate from) then what does it matter how far it can go from halifax ?

Having hunted AIP submarines, i'm willing to say that they offer greater capabilities that a straight SSK. We know that an SSN would be political suicide in this country and that the cost is beyond our reach. A forward deployed AIP is the best solution IMHO.

drunknsubmrnr said:
Why would AIP matter?

If you are indeed a submariner, even a drunk one knows the importance of AIP.  I certainly hope the last post was not the first time you were given any information regarding AIP.

My one concern with operating an AIP submarine up north is that it should have the ability to come up through the ice, the last thing you would want to happen is a fire or something and not be able to get to the roof.

Springroll said:
I would think that an AIP would provide us with the ability to be able to stay submerged for a considerable amount of time longer then what we are currently capable of doing. Would that not be a benefit??

Sorta. AIP is a trickle-charger for the battery. It allows the battery to be very slowly charged, or more usually allows operations without draining the battery too much, and without snorting.

AIP was brought out to prevent something called "hold-down" where a large number of aircraft and skimmers converge on the area of a suspected submarine and try to keep it from snorting in order to wear down the battery and cause it to surface. In practice, a snort mast is a small enough target that a prohibitively large number of aircraft need to be used to prevent a boat from catching enough of a snort that "hold-down" is achieved. Operationally, it's not required unless you're planning to take on multi-carrier task forces and even then the boat is restricted to speeds slow enough that they can't catch a carrier even if they tried. On top of that, the domestics still have to be done every few days unless people are going to stop eating etc, so having the ability to stay submerged for 5 days isn't all that helpful.

CDN Aviator said:
AIP matters because it provides the ability to operate submerged for long periods of time without having to stick up a pipe and snort.

Snorting is rarely a problem with a good control room crew and an ESM system.

CDN Aviator said:
Now as far as your argument or deployment speed goes....well who says we have to deploy one from Halifax all the time. Why not have a sub on rotation deployed up north at regular intervals throughout the year. If the sub is already north ( i'm sure theres a port it can operate from) then what does it matter how far it can go from halifax ?

That's not terribly practical for a lot of reasons, most of which involve submariners and their families not wanting to go on 6 month patrols or live in the Arctic. It would also cost hundreds of millions if not billions to set up a submarine capable port in the Arctic, and would require a lot of highly skilled people and their families to live in the Arctic. Thats really not likely to happen. You could probably get around these issues a bit by having a depot ship, but thats still going to cost almost as much and has a far larger personnel problem.

CDN Aviator said:
Having hunted AIP submarines, i'm willing to say that they offer greater capabilities that a straight SSK. We know that an SSN would be political suicide in this country and that the cost is beyond our reach. A forward deployed AIP is the best solution IMHO.

They're more valuable in an exercise. In the real world, not so much.

At this point new SSK's are political suicide, let alone SSI or SSN.

Dolphin_Hunter said:
If you are indeed a submariner, even a drunk one knows the importance of AIP.  I certainly hope the last post was not the first time you were given any information regarding AIP.

I'm qualified. If you have any doubts, I'll PM you my name and you can ask around the MOG.

More importantly, I've actually sailed in unscripted operations. How many times has airborne radar actually stopped you from snorting when you wanted to?

Dolphin_Hunter said:
My one concern with operating an AIP submarine up north is that it should have the ability to come up through the ice, the last thing you would want to happen is a fire or something and not be able to get to the roof.

Which is why the boats would never do more than peck the edges of the ice, only going far enough in to allow getting out on the battery. SSK's have been shown to be too small to effectively surface through the ice.

The CCG does crew changes at distant ports, I can't see crew changes being the issue. Resupply and repair i can see due to a Sub lack of carrying capacity. A CCG ship could provide fuel and supplies, it certainly is worth trying as part of an exercise.

I'm sure that with enough of a priority, enough spare crew and supplies could be scrounged up from somewhere for an exercise. Repair would be a problem though.

In any case, it would be an exercise thing, not something you could realistically expect on an ongoing basis.

True, but this type of exercise and proving that we have the ability gives others 2nd thought and allows our planners more options, rather than trying to cobble up a response out of thin air. Ship based subtenders was the norm for most of the history of submarines, I think the option is a worthwhile one to explore and as you will be using existing assets the cost will be in fuel and supplies. The lessons learned will be priceless.

Everybody's getting away from tenders for a reason. For one thing, they're very expensive. For another, they have crews of around 1500. That's about the same amount as the entire MARPAC seagoing establishment.

We can do something for an exercise. For planning purposes and as a strategic option, tenders are out.

This was looked at extensively in the late 90's.

drunknsubmrnr said:
This was looked at extensively in the late 90's.

Getting rid of tanks was looked at extensively in the late 90's as well..........

Back