• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Australian Issue Browning High Power Mk 3 Vigilante - PICS :)

1feral1

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Nothing OPSEC here, its public knowledge that we have adopted these pistols.

Well after completing our ATI, I decided to take a couple of pics of our Vigilante 9mm pistols now in service, and replacing the aging L9A1 anad MkII's, plus the odd Inglis.

The Mk3 as far as I know is an 'off the shelf' FNH buy with nothing signifigant added for Australian service.

The new things about this pistol are as fol:

- chamber has a slight 'cut away' to indicate a live rd up the spout
- cast body
- improved trigger
- missing projection above chamber on bbl
- removable lanyard loop
- ambo safety
- ergo grips
- powder coating over phosphated finish
- improved front and rear sights

In the pics the green tag is the serviceable tag, and the pistol has been in the system for about 4 or 5 yrs already.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley, Thanks for sending the weapons photos and write-ups as often as you do, they are interesting to read and examine.  :salute:

Not a problem  ;D. Strangely enough, there is more problems with these new FNH pistols then I ever seen with the wartime Cdn Inglis 9mms.

The phrase 'I guess they don't make 'em like they used to' comes to mind.

Cheers,

Wes

Hey wes,
thnks for the pics
these look a lot like the traditional Inglis/Browning.......
what are some of the problems you are finding?

how is the "floating barrel"?

what is the general opinion of the troopies on this piece of kit?

Chimo!

Geo

Quality of workmanship for staters. The hammer falling (when some pressure is applied) when cocked without touching the trigger, plus other issues due to poor craftsmanship on parts. Personally I think FN is just a brand now, The quality is long gone, as I think feeder factories are used, and assembled at FNH?

As for the lads and opinions, well we had some new pistols that had an 11 LBs trigger pull, and the pistols were issued for competition. Not happy shooters! The old L9s are the best, well worn in, and a much better gun.

As for use, I must fess up and confide that in the going on 11yrs of TI here, i have yet to see an officer carrying a pistol, only some Armd types, and the MPs.

At my last unit, we turned in all our pistols because they were NOT ever being used.

Now it just needs some one to take out the magazine safety, and through on a set of hogue flat panel grips and it would be good to go. ;D

I have a Belgian made FN High Power, and having dissected it as many times as I have, I can't imagine what would be making the hammers go forward without the sear releasing.  Maybe out of spec sears or hammers.  If the notches were cut wrong in either of those, i would think that might contribute to the 11 pound triggers too.  Along with the Mag safeties.  The Hi-Power trigger mech is so simple that it's really hard for stuff to wrong with it.

But that's all just poorly educated guessing

Teddy... the difference might be `mil spec`.... what those lovely boys & girls @ procurment might have made the people @ FN do... it does not always make sense.

When you get down to it, if units are returning all their pistols cause they aren't being used..... it says a lot. (IMHO)

Chimo!

This problem was so wisespread, the FNH rep from herstal, and the SE Asian rep came out to investigate, and the problem was the sear. The angles were off (pisss poor quality and no culling process), and FNH replaced about 80% of the ones in the pistols (2500) held at the time.

The problem being was what about spares? Had the contaminated stock got into the supply system? So now every annual inspection, this has to be checked. Its right in our CFTO or EMEIs as we call 'em here.

Also checked is the tripping lever height, and the distance between the hammer and frame when 1/2 cocked.

Back