• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Aussies displace Canucks in Relationship with USA

Cloud Cover

Army.ca Fixture
Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey Wes, what do you think of this:
http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/westview/story/2472557p-2864556c.html

Sunday, January 9th, 2005   

And this Just In, From the Far, Far West...

Sunday, January 9th, 2005

By COLIN CAMPBELL

WE'VE done it again, betrayed our national adolescence by worrying that we're not the U.S.'s best friend. Worse, we've leapt to the conclusion that Australia has assumed this role.

How silly. We scarcely register on the U.S.'s radar, even in the best of times. Only the United Kingdom comes close to maintaining any consistent acknowledgment of its existence from the Americans. You would think we wanted to become a nation of David Frums. Our angst over Australia's ascendancy among the ignored has prompted me to reflect upon how little we know about this bundle of contradictions "Downunder."

My wife and I spent December in Australia visiting family and friends. I first went to Australia in 1986. Arriving in Melbourne, I was stunned at how "English" the country appeared: The airport architecture aped Heathrow, right down to the signage; I noted several older British-made cars during the drive into the city (no salted roads); and the structures along the way reminded me of London's workers' cottages punctuated by drab 1960s functionality. The British-made cars have since passed on; freeways and tunnels crisscross both Sydney and Melbourne; and distinctive, Australian-flavoured office towers dominate the skylines.

On the train going to a far southern suburb of Sydney, we saw many of the old visuals: curved Victorian stations lined with flowers and white iron fences, cottages squeezed flush against the right of way, and a scorching sun -- the latter, of course, not being English in the least.

And therein rests the first contradiction. Australia parts company with the United Kingdom and, for that matter, the U.S.'s blue states because it encounters extreme weather only on the upper end of the thermometer. (Sorry Winnipeg, I can't discuss Australia without touching on this theme.) Its climate plays on its national psyche in myriad ways.

For instance, even though it is a declining Christian culture (the Cardinal Archbishop of Sydney has just had to assign several of his priests to two parishes each), Australia still celebrates Christmas clinging to lavish accoutrements evoking the Northern winter. Yet, yuletide has become a godless, indeed hugely alcoholic season -- more a national Calgary Stampede than even a pagan celebration of the winter solstice.

This brings me to another contradiction. Australia's residual Christianity has led it to consider itself the "deputy sheriff" (Prime Minister John Howard's term) in its region, which includes the world's largest Islamic nation, Indonesia. However, it appeared to us that the entire "Fleet East" was in port, docked next door to the waterfront apartment we rented for our stay.

I made a point of asking every cab driver whether this meant that Christmas would be a good time to invade Australia. Each answered that the Americans would come to the rescue if anybody tried such a deed. Trust the Americans. They don't even take the "Chrissy hols" off! (I can see the headlines three days after the capture of Darwin: "World awaits statement from Crawford: Bush mulls response to Indonesian invasion of northern Australia; Rice says first priority still democracy in Iran.")

Soon after our arrival, I spent a week in Canberra as part of research I am doing on "transformation" of the U.S., U.K., Canadian and Australian militaries. I thought that I would leave envying the Australians for demonstrating much clearer views of their military future than the Canadian Forces could ever muster. But one finds little open debate in Australia over the challenges to which its military should be working. Notwithstanding the idle Fleet East outside our window for over a week, defence of the homeland still takes centre stage as it did even during the Cold War. Indonesia remains the unmentionable in this equation -- very much like China serves as "Red" in U.S. future games centred upon a possible peer-competitor.

Still, Australian rhetoric has become much more aggressive in its view of self-defence -- in ways that resonate with its deputy-sheriff role. The government has just adopted a policy -- highly dubious both with respect to international law and enforceability -- whereby any vessels coming within a thousand miles of this island must declare specifics such as the nature of their cargo and their destination. In 1999, Australia led a U.N. action in East Timor that facilitated that country's independence from Indonesia, and it currently pursues interventions in Papua New Guinea and the Solomon Islands.

Nonetheless, apart from East Timor, Australia's activities in the region have remained small-scale -- consisting of largely symbolic ventures prompting jingoistic headlines. The day after the murder of an Australian peacekeeper in the Solomon Islands, Rupert Murdoch's The Australian (Dec. 23) screeched, "Troops rush to Solomons". In fact, only 100 troops joined 160 soldiers and 147 police already there.

We find even less follow-through with Australia's big-noting its future expeditionary role in support of coalitions responding to crises outside its region. An ever-shrinking minority of Canadians derives shame from our failure to support the Americans in Iraq. Perhaps more deservedly we lament our meager contributions of late to UN-peacekeeping. But, at the low, low price of 200 soldiers currently assigned to the "Coalition of the Willing" in Iraq and a solitary member of the military working in Afghanistan, Australia has become America's best friend! Give me a break.

John Howard just became the second-longest-serving prime minister in Australia's history. Like all superannuated politicians, he has survived by being a consummate illusionist. He has worked exquisitely at making Australians, now inveterate North American wannabes, think they have become as tight as first cousins with the U.S.

For example, the government has relentlessly pressed reform of higher education -- purportedly following the American system. In a leap of faith, it introduced two tiers of students -- those whose marks merit state-subsidized tuition and those who pay the full market cost (the differential can be upwards of $10,000). Imagine the plight of a medical or law professor at the highly prized University of Sydney teaching courses made mostly of superlative performers, but also populated by students who would have enrolled in much less-selective programs had not their parents been wealthy.

One part of the government's mind wants to privatize the university system. However, it surely must realize that the feeble performance of Australian philanthropy -- significantly worse than the Canadian counterpart -- has left all universities bereft of any substantial endowments. It now has launched an effort to wrest administrative responsibility for the universities from the state governments on the grounds that this would make the system more competitive internationally. The government must have economic rivalry with Singapore in mind, as even China, not to mention the United States, allows a certain degree of regional autonomy in the university sector.

Canada's greatest weakness regarding the United States has us constantly trying to differentiate ourselves from our neighbours to the south, even when it doesn't make sense. Australia provides the mirror-image of this foible. Rather than trying to straighten out the Victorian curves in its train stations and high streets modelled on cow paths, it should celebrate their survival.

Colin Campbell is Canada Research Chair in U.S. Government and Politics and Professor of Political Science at the University of British Columbia. His 2003 book with Michael Barzelay of LSE on strategic planning in the U.S. Air Force has just won the U.S. National Academy of Public Administration Brownlow Book Award.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
© 2005 Winnipeg Free Press. All Rights Reserved. 

Its hard to compare Canada and Australia culturally. In my oppinon, the Aussies have established a culture that would be hard to erase, while Canadians (in my oppinon) are still trying to establish a culture that distinguishes Canadians from Americans. Also, the amount of British decendants in Australia is over 80%. Thus, they arent truly a mulicultural soceity, unlike Canada, which is pushing for a colourfull country.

The question is, can Canada have a culture, while trying to maintain a mosaic and not a melting pot?

hmm.... the author is a prof of mine. Be interesting to see how the semester goes, I like some of his ideas. The Australian forces do present some interesting dichotomies - lots of fancy stuff (Abrams, Blackhawks, Commando Regt) but also has an amazingly low number of overseas missions with low deployment rates.  They have the toys, but not the missions. We appear to be the opposite.

Firstly as for the post above about lack of missions, what about Korea, Malaya, Borneo, Viet Nam ( 10 yrs), various ME missions, Somalia (did I spell that right), East Timor, Guadalcanal, Iraq, Afghansitan, plus many more in between those. I have seen the list and its quite vast. We also have our fingers in the pie regionally too. Still a strong presence in PNG. Plus Indonesia now.

Culturally, we come mainly of the same NW European stock, and I'll be the first to admit there is not one Zaluski in the Sydney phone book. We have a lot more in common than we think, and much more than the Canadian and Americans in comparison, at least my generation anyways. And that aint no porky-pie. Fair Dinkum!

Even todays immigration tallys have the UK followed by NZ, then Asian people, some Africans etc for the incoming popluation, even though the white Australia policy was disbaned almost 40 yrs ago.
Australia's population is only 19M, and its a vast country, a little smaller in sq km than the lower 48 states of the USA. Its the hottest, dryest (next to Antarctica), flatest continent with temps extreme from 55C in WA to, get this, -22C in the Southern Alps, yet from any spot in the country, you are less than 1200km for any sea. Go figure.

I had a read, and his discription is suprisingly accurate. He sees things thru his eyes, and I agree with some of it, but again he doesn't live here, and I have spent almost a quarter of my life here. Yes, I'll agree its more English than anything else in some ways, mainly the buildings etc, but as for English cars????

The general populus have a high respect for the Military Forces, like I have never experienced, and I often have my picture taken when in cerimonal kit, with the slouch hat with the side turned up, etc by people on the street. I have seen more appreciation in our AMF in one day then I did in the over 18ys of seervice in the CF!

People are very unique here, the women are aggressive (and out number us blokes), people are critical at times, 'in your face' and quite opinionated, arrogant (at times), etc (so I fit in well ;D), but they are as genuine as the day is long, and as firendly and hospitable as Canadians.

I can sum it up by saying when I have family and friends out for a visit, I am told "its like you are just living down the road but in "Jerassic Park" ( the creepy crawlies and things that sting and bite). See teh pic of a caterpillar below, and this is a small one ;).

Sure there are some Vauxhauls etc, but the Aussie Holdens and the Fords have stiff competition with the Japanese and South Korean markets, not forgetting the Euro market too (lots of BMWs and Mercs). To be honest I see as many English cars (Rover for example) as I see American cars, Cadillacs etc. Not that common. Very few 'YankTanks' as they are called here, but I get a good laugh when I see old 63 Chevs, and 65 Mustangs without an ounce of rust.

Politically wise I think this bloke was talking out his arse. Our Guadalcanal re-inforcement was only a small RRF of about 100 men ( mainly all '031s'), yes small but tenacious as hell. Today another local was arrested for the AF policmeman's murder. We always new no large qty of force would be sent, and even if it was, thats our business, not the Americans or anyone elses. However we do view Indonesia, the largest mulsim country with over 280,000,000 people living on 13,000 out of 16,000 islands as a 'Red China' comparing it to the American view of the PRC before they kissed and made up. Kind of a cold existance between us, but now with us forking out 1 Bil AUD, hopefully this will make things much better.

Jackboot Johnny Howard is a good PM, and is well liked, on his fourth term, adn I have complete confidence in him to guide this vast southern land thru the years ahead.

Cold beers,

Wes

What is the exact point of his article? Cheers.

Dunno really, I think he was just stating a few facts and opinions.

Cheers,

Wes

S_Baker said:
In my personal opinion I do believe that the US military treats the Australian Military as equals and partners.   Australian Forces do indeed cast a wary eye at Indonesia and elsewhere in Asia.   The Australians have what most e-asians want freedom and prosperity............IMHO, it seems that most countries in the region lack.

Along with a professional military that does not have a history of drug-running, political domination, or slaughtering local inhabitants. (I specifically exempt the Indian Forces from this condemnation..)

However, as strong as the US-Aussie relationship is, IMHO that really has almost no bearing on the US relationship with Canada which is driven by other factors and, if you consider all of those factors and consider the relationship in its totality (not just cherry-pick the bits that support a particular argument...) is the closest relationship that the US has with any other country. Cheers.

I think it is we as Canadians that see this close relationship more then the US. Go down to any major city of the US and ask the average citizen who the US is closest too and I bet the majority of answers would not be Canada.

OOOO Goodie for them. We as Canadians have never really, been North Americans. We are Canadians, total opposites of any other country in North or South America. 90% of countries in N/S America have straight US kit. I was tasked with the WESS task. The Americans that cameup, spoke that we as Canadians should never change. For we are the worlds Ace in the hole. We don't take sides. We as Canadians treat people better, than ourselves. Canadians take time and feel people out.
That is true, everytime I go to Europe. And maybe others here. One time in Rome, We had met some Americans at Ned Kelly's.Our lil group headed over to a different bar. Well, there was a big sign NO Americans.
One of our fellas walked up to the gate. And was asked to leave he was American. He said no, Canadian and showed his ID card. We suggested that the Marines that we had met, play the game. But no, first thing. That came out of their mouths were, we liberated this F***** country, you F***** W*****s, we not saying were Canadains, etc. We got in, which was full of Italian Paras. That were from the Fogalor Bge. They were the ones in Somalia. They thought we were great. None of us bought a drink.
We asked why, no Americans? What they did is why. They know that there are Canadians like that. But few and far between.
I know, Most Canadians would not ever care. Ever if they had to say they were from MARS.

:evil: :tank:

Wesley H. Allen said:
Firstly as for the post above about lack of missions, what about Korea, Malaya, Borneo, Viet Nam ( 10 yrs), various ME missions, Somalia (did I spell that right), East Timor, Guadalcanal, Iraq, Afghansitan, plus many more in between those. I have seen the list and its quite vast. We also have our fingers in the pie regionally too. Still a strong presence in PNG. Plus Indonesia now.

I guess I wasn't clear, I apologize. I meant that comparatively, Australia has in the past 20 years had fewer commitments than Canada (mainly our massive commitments in the Balkans and Afghanistan), but still enjoys an excellent Armed Forces with extremely good capacities, resources, and equipment - the kind of stuff the CF often dreams about. I think that says a lot about how strongly Aussies feel about their military, and what role it should play. The Australian military seems postured to actually fight and defend against real territorial threats, and enforce national interest in a volatile region - the CF's mission isn't so clear, but has seen us deployed extensively in a general do-good multilateral operations.

We don't take sides

Then what are we doing in NATO, NORAD, and ISAF? None of them are "neutral" groupings. Personally I find this "holier than thou" attitude towards the US a bit sickening. We need to get over it and grow up.   Canadians are not morally superior to Americans by birth, nor are we universally loved at the expense of Americans: alot of people in the world really can't tell the difference, like they can't distinguish Austrians and Germans, or Belgians and Frenchmen. We have a great country, that we should be proud of, and an Army that struggles to maintain a good reputation, but we don't need to be constanty p*ssing on the US to make ourselves feel better. That, IMHO, is childish, just like this endless silly moaning about "identity" and "culture". Be who you are, and live the life you live, and those things take care of themeselves. Preoccupation with them is a sign of perpetual whining adolescence. One of the ugliest things about Canadians is the cesspool of latent anti-Americanism that lurks just below the surface, and clouds our vision every time we deal with them on a contentious issue.

My experience with the US military during the five months I have lived with them here in Afgh   is that most of them, regardless of where they are from, bear us no ill will. Are they ignorant about us? Yes, alot are but it depends where they come from. I have lost count of the number of US types who have told me about their cousin or sister in Canada, or their trip to Canada, or the exercise or course they were on with Canadians: all of it good. Do they do dumb-ass things and have silly opinions? Yes, but guess what....so do we. Are they prone to ignorance and arrogance: yes, they can be, but I can definitely list a few other nationalities who fit that bill exactly, some of whom do not realize that their "Golden Days" as a nation are over. Do I get pissed off with the US folks and their systems sometimes? Yes!

IMHO we need to be friends with the US; friends, not lackeys. Friends speak the truth to friends and tell them when they are doing something dumb, but friends also honour their committments and stand by when the going gets rough. Lackeys just do what they're told and then run away at the first sign of trouble. I believe that we can and should be friends, and work patiently at educating our great and powerful neighbour about us. And stop measuring ourselves by what they think (or don't think...) about us.

Cheers.

pbi said:
Then what are we doing in NATO, NORAD, and ISAF? None of them are "neutral" groupings. Personally I find this "holier than thou" attitude towards the US a bit sickening. We need to get over it and grow up.   Canadians are not morally superior to Americans by birth, nor are we universally loved at the expense of Americans: alot of people in the world really can't tell the difference, like they can't distinguish Austrians and Germans, or Belgians and Frenchmen. We have a great country, that we should be proud of, and an Army that struggles to maintain a good reputation, but we don't need to be constanty p*ssing on the US to make ourselves feel better. That, IMHO, is childish, just like this endless silly moaning about "identity" and "culture". Be who you are, and live the life you live, and those things take care of themeselves. Preoccupation with them is a sign of perpetual whining adolescence. One of the ugliest things about Canadians is the cesspool of latent anti-Americanism that lurks just below the surface, and clouds our vision every time we deal with them on a contentious issue.

My experience with the US military during the five months I have lived with them here in Afgh   is that most of them, regardless of where they are from, bear us no ill will. Are they ignorant about us? Yes, alot are but it depends where they come from. I have lost count of the number of US types who have told me about their cousin or sister in Canada, or their trip to Canada, or the exercise or course they were on with Canadians: all of it good. Do they do dumb-*** things and have silly opinions? Yes, but guess what....so do we. Are they prone to ignorance and arrogance: yes, they can be, but I can definitely list a few other nationalities who fit that bill exactly, some of whom do not realize that their "Golden Days" as a nation are over. Do I get pissed off with the US folks and their systems sometimes? Yes!

IMHO we need to be friends with the US; friends, not lackeys. Friends speak the truth to friends and tell them when they are doing something dumb, but friends also honour their committments and stand by when the going gets rough. Lackeys just do what they're told and then run away at the first sign of trouble. I believe that we can and should be friends, and work patiently at educating our great and powerful neighbour about us. And stop measuring ourselves by what they think (or don't think...) about us.

Cheers.

Great read!

Having spent some time in the States, I think Americans are great people and are Canada's best friend.

Back