• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Attacks fuel debate on extending mission; Time to write your MP

Sapper41

Inactive
Reaction score
Attacks fuel debate on extending mission: Dosanjh
Updated Sun. Apr. 23 2006 11:14 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

The latest attack on Canadian soldiers in Afghanistan will lead to further debate on extending the mission, Liberal Defence Critic Ujjal Dosanjh told CTV's Question Period on Sunday.

"Canadian public opinion is already divided," Dosanjh said.

"There's no question in my mind that as more casualties continue to happen, Canadians will increasingly ask more questions. It's appropriate for Canadians to ask questions - they always have. They support our troops. We support our troops. Despite that, there might be questions and we as politicians need to be ready to answer them."

He added that any concerns about the mission will be dealt with when Parliament considers prolonging Canada's military operations in Afghanistan.

"I believe that there is an appropriate time (to raise concerns about the mission), and that would be when the government brings the issue before the House of Commons for an extension of this mission beyond February of 2007," he said.

In a recent poll conducted by Decima Research, 46 per cent of respondents thought the mission is a bad idea, compared to 45 per cent who felt the opposite is true.

It also indicated that 43 per cent of Canadians want troops to return home within the year.

The online poll drew responses from 2,131 people from March 31 to April 4, and is considered accurate plus or minus 2.2 percentage points, 19 times in 20. Results were given to The Canadian Press.

Cpl. Matthew Dinning, Bombardier Myles Mansell and Lieut. William Turner were killed instantly when their vehicle was struck by an improvised explosive device in the Gumbad region of Afghanistan, about 75 kilometres north of Kandahar.

A fourth solider, Cpl. Randy Payne, died on his way to hospital.

Russ Hiebert, parliamentary secretary to the minister of national defence, said they "made the ultimate sacrifice for a cause worth fighting for."

He also dismissed a New York Times report that local villagers may have helped organize the attack, in response to allegedly intimidating behaviour by Canadian troops.

"The information I've been getting is that anytime Afghans have had contact with our soldiers, it's been very positive experience for both sides," he told Question Period.

"The people of Afghanistan are incredibly pleased with the security and stability that is emerging in their country."

During a news conference at the main Kandahar base on Saturday morning, Brig.-Gen. David Fraser said he knew two of the slain soldiers personally, and praised their efforts in the region.

"Those soldiers were conducting operations to enhance the security of the area," Fraser said. "I had actually been in the area yesterday myself, talking with the local leaders. (They) had indicated that security had improved since we arrived in the area."

Fraser added that soldiers will not be deterred from their mission, and will continue to establish peace in the region.

"Everybody here today is sadder, but we've redoubled our efforts to make sure we provide the hope and security and stability that Afghans expect from the international community," Fraser said.''

Ok, it's time to use our propensity to write rants/ e-mails for a good cause.  Let's take this opportunity to write our member of parliament in support of our troops and this mission.

Chimo!

:cdn:

http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E

Just sent mine as well, I wasn't going to because Warawa required a lot of scrolling down to find, I was going to give up around Todd Russell, but knowing how important this was I kept going and found my MP.
This is what I wrote:
I want the government to pull out of Afghanistan, go to Sudan instead.
I'll also let you know if I get a reply.
That's what you wanted, right?
All the best,
Bart

My MP is an NDP quack. I've never received and answer from him for anything I've sent, not even an automatic response. But I'll try again.

This is just the lieberals way of saying that everytime the Conservatives get 5 points ahead in the polls, the lieberals are going to pin their hearts back on their sleeve and drag dead soldiers back into debate. They perceive that there is a chink in the Conservative armour, and until they find another wedge to drive into it, this one will have to do. Lower than whale shit.

recceguy said:
My MP is an NDP quack. I've never received and answer from him for anything I've sent, not even an automatic response. But I'll try again.

This is just the lieberals way of saying that everytime the Conservatives get 5 points ahead in the polls, the lieberals are going to pin their hearts back on their sleeve and drag dead soldiers back into debate. They perceive that there is a chink in the Conservative armour, and until they find another wedge to drive into it, this one will have to do. Lower than whale shit.

Well said Recceguy...

HL

Bart Nikodem said:
Just sent mine as well, I wasn't going to because Warawa required a lot of scrolling down to find, I was going to give up around Todd Russell, but knowing how important this was I kept going and found my MP.
This is what I wrote:
I want the government to pull out of Afghanistan, go to Sudan instead.
I'll also let you know if I get a reply.
That's what you wanted, right?
All the best,
Bart

I don't understand your justification?  Why would you want us to pull out of Afghanistan, where the current Government wants us, and have us go to the Sudan, where the current Government does not want us?  This seems like fiscal folly to me.  Gear down from one Mission and gear up for another in close proximity.  So the Terrorists win, if a little blood is shed and we pack up our bags and run away with our tails between our legs.  Your logic escapes me.  It sounds outright cowardly to me.

Working on mine, yay for Conservative MP Merv Tweed.

George,
You are correct, it doesn't make fiscal sense. I see the need being greater in Sudan. Not that Afghanistan is by any means fixed, just that the need is greater in Sudan and I don't see any other countries stepping up to the plate.
What has soured me on Afghanistan was the episode where they prosecuted/persecuted the guy who converted to Christianity. I thought "This is the regime we are supporting?"
I understand that the work on the ground we are doing is helping the locals and supporting the region, not getting involved in the national issues, so the "little people" shouldn't be punished for the actions of the political elite, it has produced an emotional reaction in me, not necessarily a logical one.

I agree the optics wouldn't be ideal if we left, but I don't think the CF is big enough to support two large scale humanitarian operations at once. If it were able,  I would say do Afghanistan and the Sudan but unfortunately that is not possible. Hope that helps to explain my reasoning.
All the best,
Bart
P.S. George Clooney thinks something should be done about the situation in Sudan. When a hollywood celebrity thinks that a situation is important, you know it is.
http://edition.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/04/27/darfur.clooney/index.html

I find some of your points flawed.
Bart Nikodem said:
You are correct, it doesn't make fiscal sense. I see the need being greater in Sudan. Not that Afghanistan is by any means fixed, just that the need is greater in Sudan and I don't see any other countries stepping up to the plate.
I don't agree with dropping our mandate on Afghanistan, just because you think that Sudan is in 'greater need'.  What will we do if we go to Sudan and find that somewhere else is in 'greater need', like Sri Lanka?  And after that, somewhere else in 'greater need'.  Where would we stop?  Would we ever benefit anyone, or is it just a "PHOTO OP"?  Would we ever solve any problems this way?

Bart Nikodem said:
What has soured me on Afghanistan was the episode where they prosecuted/persecuted the guy who converted to Christianity. I thought "This is the regime we are supporting?"
Another flawed argument.  Although this man was detained and threatened with death under their Law, the Government did show that it could give these laws a closer consideration.  In the end they allowed him to be secretly removed from Afhanistan and moved to a secret and secure location in Italy.  To me, this seems to be a postitive step by the Afghan Government.

George,
I agree it is a flawed argument, my opinion is based on a visceral reaction, not the best place for a starting point for a logical argument, and I am not claiming it's an argument, just a personal, illogical point of view.
Looking at the episode as a positive, in that the Taliban probably wouldn't have let the man go to Italy, is a step in the right direction.

As to the "greater need" argument, we've been in Afghanistan since 2002ish? That's about 4 years or so.
If we change our focus of operations every 4-5 years, I don't think that's excessive. If we go to Sudan in 2007, Sri Lanka or North Korea in 2012, California or France in 2017. It would result in an agile, multi experienced military.
Just a thought.
All the best,
Bart

Bart Nikodem said:

Bart Nikodem said:
As to the "greater need" argument, we've been in Afghanistan since 2002ish? That's about 4 years or so.
If we change our focus of operations every 4-5 years, I don't think that's excessive. If we go to Sudan in 2007, Sri Lanka or North Korea in 2012, California or France in 2017. It would result in an agile, multi experienced military.
Just a thought.

.....and now that bin Laden and Al Quaida have called to suppress the 'infidel crusade' in the Sudan? This ain't peacekeeping, buckwheat. The Sudan is simply just the next front in the fight on terrorism. Any large force you send in there will be attacked as we are in Afghanistan. Suicide bombers and IEDs. If you run around putting out spot fires, without containing the source, eventually you'll run out of water. Which is what they are counting on, and has always been the maxim of the radical Islamic movement. Just a little here and a little there, let it take hold, multiply and overwhelm. If they can't take over the government, a la Taliban, they'll simply terrorize you into submission or vacating. They are willing to spend the next 2 - 500 years attaining their goal through these means. The question is, how do you want your great, great... grandchildren to be living? In Canada?

First of all I would like to apologize for taking this thread off topic. So to reiterate the opening post, please write your MP and express support for the current mission to Afghanistan. Here is the list of MPs again:
http://webinfo.parl.gc.ca/MembersOfParliament/MainMPsCompleteList.aspx?TimePeriod=Current&Language=E
So secondly, just clarify my POV, I'm pro the Afghanistan mission, just feel that Sudan is more urgent, Canada can't do both, CF too small for that, understand there will be casualties, am OK with that. Anything else please PM me, want this thread to stay on topic, thanks.
All the best,
Bart

I did get a few replies back.  I wrote to Peter Goldring Conservative, Jack Layton NDP and Ujahl Dusanjj Lib.  As they say two out of three ain't bad.  I had a staff member return my e-mail from Peter Goldring and an e-mail reportedly by Jack Layton himself, but sadly no liberal cared to reply.  Mr. Laytons e-mail was on the lines of 'agree to disagree' on the issue of the flag and media on the tarmac at Trenton.

As for the Darfur region in Sudan:  We can't be everywhere at once and we are heavily dependent on coalition partners ie everything from close air support to explosive detecting dogs to have a well rounded force.  While all federal parties would like to help the people in Darfur, doing so (with troops on the ground) would actually require fighting both their national army and every warlord in Darfur to secure the region.  I think we can predict that this mission will remain in the incapable hands of the African Union (AU) and the UN.

I have yet to hear back from my MP...lol
Now there is some representation of the people for you...yeah right
Elect them and they are no where to be found.
Well I didn't elect my MP he is Liberal.

HL

Back