• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army worries about ‘toxic leaders’ in ranks

daftandbarmy

Army.ca Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good thing this is a US Army finding. There's no such thing in the CF, right?  ::)

Army worries about ‘toxic leaders’ in ranks

The survey of about 22,000 Army leaders was conducted by the Center for Army Leadership and comes during a year when the Army has removed or discipline three brigade commanders who were en route to, or returning from war zones in Iraq and Afghanistan. Selection to command a combat brigade, which consists of about 5,000 soldiers and is commanded by a colonel, is highly competitive in the Army.

The survey also found that 97 percent of officers and sergeants had observed an “exceptional leader” within the Army in the past year.

The Army defined toxic leaders as commanders who put their own needs first, micro-managed subordinates, behaved in a mean-spirited manner or displayed poor decision making.

About half of the soldiers who worked under toxic leaders expected that their selfish and abusive commanders would be promoted to a higher level of leadership.

This may create a self-perpetuating cycle with harmful and long-lasting effects on morale, productivity and retention of quality personnel,” the survey concluded. “There is no indication that the toxic leadership issue will correct itself.”

The Army began conducting annual surveys of its leaders in 2005 to determine trends in morale, the overall quality of leadership and the willingness of Army leaders to stay in the military until retirement.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/national-security/army-worries-about-toxic-leaders-in-ranks/2011/06/25/AGThw4kH_story.html?wpisrc=nl_headlines

recceguy said:
I worked for the 'Poster Child' a couple of years ago ;)
Which one would that be? There's more than one.....ohhhhh I get it I think......would he be a robot is disguise?

They needed a survey for this?  This is certainly nothing new for any occupation.  Self-less people are a true rarity in all walks of life; and that goes right from the top to the bottom.

I always used them as the 'example not to be like' and customized my leadership style in the opposite direction.

mike63 said:
I always used them as the 'example not to be like' and customized my leadership style in the opposite direction.

I concur. People would tell me all the time that "so an so is a producer of much feces ....you should fire him/her when they come to you".

I would tell the "producer of feces" that I knew of their shortcomings, but was willing to give them a fair shake.  The feces producer quite often would turn the tables on his detractors.

Jim Seggie said:
I concur. People would tell me all the time that "so an so is a producer of much feces ....you should fire him/her when they come to you".

I would tell the "producer of feces" that I knew of their shortcomings, but was willing to give them a fair shake.  The feces producer quite often would turn the tables on his detractors.

Jesus Jim...lol..., you really have a nice way of saying things...I really enjoy reading your replies.

mike63 said:
Jesus Jim...lol..., you really have a nice way of saying things...I really enjoy reading your replies.

Well you can't say "sh!tpump" on here now can you?

Having said all this, the best parts of some people ran down their....oh never mind. I will get in trouble for that comment.

See the inside voice DOES work.

We can't allow a 'toxic leadership" gap with the US.  ;D

I have met a few, one of them directly influencing me on pulling the plug. That being said I also met some damm fine leaders at many different levels.

George Wallace said:
According to some sources, that has become hereditary.
I hope you're speaking metaphorically.  I would hate to think that the festering boil on the arse of humanity actually bred.

Spanky said:
I hope you're speaking metaphorically.  I would hate to think that the festering boil on the arse of humanity actually bred.

Pleez, pleez, pleeeeeeeeeezzzzzzz tell us who you're talking about. I can't stand it anymore!!!!!!

And I always got picked last for muder ball too....

Back