• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army.ca Hacked

Mike Bobbitt

Administrator
Staff member
Owner
Directing Staff
Reaction score
All,

As some of you know, earlier this morning, the site was hacked by a self proclaimed Muslim. The hack has been reversed, and I am investigating the mechanics used in the breach to ensure it doesn't happen again. I can assure you that the nature of the breach was small... the hacker was able to overwrite one small but critical file to subvert the site. No information was compromised in the breach. It was a "blind" attack where the hacker could replace a file, but not read unintended information.

My apologies for the inconvenience, and thanks for your patience as we move forward.

To the perpetrator, I have just one thing to say: Merry Christmas.

Cheers
Mike

Edit: I've attached a screenshot for those who missed it.

Can you track this guy down at all or is it even worth it?  Quick google search of his handle revealed that he likes to play cheesy internet games and might even be a Twilight fan.  Oh, and he speaks French.

I'll attempt to track him for the purposes of blocking the IP (or entire range) at the firewall, but beyond that there's very little recourse. Legal action against someone on the other side of the world is expensive, time consuming and prone to disappointing outcomes. :)

This kind of behaviour saddens me.

But I'm sure welcoming the Birth of my Lord & Saviour, as I carve the Christmas ham with my family and friends may assuage some of the pain.

:yellow:
HS

LOL.

What a wanker. I wonder what kind of reward you get for waging jihad on the internet!

"Alluah Ackbahr, I Kill Your internet. Now back to team Jacob.

So ........ New fund raising venture to buy the "Reverse Hacker Server Fryer" from Norenco.  It is a device that takes the Hacker's code and reverses the 'hack' to fry the Hacker's Server to a pile of steaming solder, wire and plastic. 

George Wallace said:
So ........ New fund raising venture to buy the "Reverse Hacker Server Fryer" from Norenco.  It is a device that takes the Hacker's code and reverses the 'hack' to fry the Hacker's Server to a pile of steaming solder, wire and plastic.

How much you need? :D

For sure .  .  a very, very, very Merry Christmas to all the good little jihadis out there.

I'm a web developer civi side. So nerd alert.

Did he replace a physical file, or replace content in the database? Both have very different possibilities for what allowed him to breach, and very different possible outcomes and worst case scenarios.

Glad to hear it was fixed quickly though.

He probably heard about our game Afghan Ops and just wanted to try out the game.

Merry Christmas guy!

Have we witnessed the internet version of self detonation?

Grimaldus said:
He probably heard about our game Afghan Ops and just wanted to try out the game.

Merry Christmas guy!

Perhaps a colleague of Julian Assange.  >:D

ModlrMike said:
Have we witnessed the internet version of self detonation?

No.  But we have once again witnessed the panic of army.ca withdrawl symptoms showing up.

Mike:  sorry you have to spend your time having to take care of this - thanks much.  PM inbound.

Maybe I'm being paranoid, but since this is a public forum, it might be wise to be cautious about what's written before hitting send.  One never knows what's going to end up quoted where these days.

Mike
Thank you for your hard and diligent work in keeping this site as hack-free as possible.  :salute:

milnews.ca said:
Maybe I'm being paranoid, but since this is a public forum, it might be wise to be cautious about what's written before hitting send.  One never knows what's going to end up quoted where these days.

"Alledged" CF members wish hacker merry Christmas"

Grimaldus said:
"Alledged" CF members wish hacker merry Christmas"
Yeah, like THAT's the part that'll end up in the headline.....

milnews.ca said:
Mike:  sorry you have to spend your time having to take care of this - thanks much.  PM inbound.

That is something we caution about time and time again, what it boils down to is for each member to be self policing as the DS can only do so much. We do too much and we are accused of censorship. We do too much and some run amok.

Back