• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Army After School

MarkDownly

Inactive
Reaction score
This isn't so much as I need info as it is I just want some opinions. So let's say someone wants to join the army what would you guys think if said person join literally a week or two after he/she graduated highschool.

I don't beleive this is an "Ask the CAF Recruiter" type question... OP correct me if i'm wrong, but you are looking for a general opinion from the collective?

Mark - if you read the rules for posting in this forum, only actual CF Recruiters" should be answering here... I will give you my opinion (i'm rather good at that...) just in a different thread.

The Canadian Armed Forces (CAF) hire many new recruits who have just recently graduated from High School.  While in most instances, Grade 10 is the minimum acceptable level of education to apply, Grade 12 is considered to be the "preferred" level of education. 

A career with the CAF will include many instances of training in an academic setting and the better prepared you are for this, the more successful you will be.  If you wish to pursue a higher level of education beyond High School, please feel free to explore our available paid education options for both Officers (ROTP and Specialized Plans) and Non-Commissioned Members (NCM STEP).

http://www.forces.ca/en/page/paideducation-96

Thread moved and now available for open discussion.

MarkDownly said:
So let's say someone wants to join the army what would you guys think if said person join literally a week or two after he/she graduated highschool.

Various discussions, including one from this summer,

Joining the Army right after high school 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/119763.0
"I want to join the army, become an infantry soldier right after high school."

I don't know what grade your in or how close you are to being finished school.  But like I said in the post linked above I wanted to join right after high school.  Just as people  thought things changed and I changed my mind about joining right out and not going to college.  I'm in grade 10 now and have decided that I am now more likely to join the reserves at the end of this year once I finish grade 10 and then finish high school and go to college.  That way I can get a feel for it and decide if it's for me and still go to college/university and not regret not doing college/university in the future..  Then if I do decide I like it a lot and am still in once I go through college then probably transfer to the reg forces.  If that makes any sense haha...  :salute:  :cdn:

MarkDownly said:
This isn't so much as I need info as it is I just want some opinions. So let's say someone wants to join the army what would you guys think if said person join literally a week or two after he/she graduated highschool.

All good advice here Mark - here is my  :2c:

I think you should not make a decision such as joining the Canadian Armed Forces lightly. Ultimately it's your decision but it really doesn't matter what we think - it's about what you can prove - to yourself. Ask yourself "Am I up for this very rewarding challenge?" "Am I only doing this because someone dared me?" "Am I ready?"

If you can answer these questions to yourself honestly and all roads still lead to recruiting, then it doesn't matter if you're fresh outta school or if this is your second career. Best of luck to you.

MarkDownly said:

I'll give you my 0.02. I'm an army reservist and was in your shoes not to long ago.

My mom was adamant that I get a degree prior to joining the forces. After getting declined from ROTP I heavily considered just going reg force as an NCM and getting university somewhere down the road. I had people tell me go to school and that the army will always be there. So I went to school, considered dropping out fairly quickly and then I found a program for the most part enjoyed. I considered dropping out a second time but realized I'd have to wait at least a year to reapply since I wasn't a fully trained army reservist. Combined with seeing the difficulty of transferring courses I decided to finish my degree. With the intent of joining the reg force after school. Just today I received an email stating that the trade I wanted was no longer available and I will have to wait until at least FY 16/17. to join the "Army that would always be there".

Am I bitter/frustrated? Slightly, but I'm using the time to learn another language in the event the reg force doesn't work out..  Where will I be in a year or two who knows?

On the flipside I could of hated the reg force, or I could of gotten injured or I could be leaving the reg - force with some liabilities I.E Car Loan? What was the right decision who knows? I'd likely be a LS Nav Comm with ideally some operational experience. But looking back I also hated university for the first few years as well.  I am fairly content with how everything has worked out for the most part. But I know my life would be a complete 360 had I of joined the reg-force so I can't say for sure. 

On avenue you may want to consider is to do schooling + reserves. You can always put in a Component Transfer to apply to go full time, it is by no means a guarantee or a timely process (trust me i know), however it is an option. However if you join the reserves try to join in a trade that you fully intend on going reg force after. It is a lot easier to CT as a trained applicant as opposed to an untrained applicant. 

Mark;  I joined the CAF when I was 18 years old, right out of grade 12.  Graduated in Jun and started recruit training that Aug.  I served 27 years before I was medically released.  For me, that was the one of the best decisions I've ever made, besides getting married to a wonder woman and having two kids.  Joining the CAF was an easy decision for me because I spent 5 years as an Army Cadet and two years in the Army reserves, my path to a career had already started when I was 12.  I have never regretted anything I have done throughout my career and to this day, after retiring 7 years ago, I am still proud to have served my country.

If joining the CAF is something you want to do, think hard about that choice because it is quite the commitment you are going to take.  Good luck with what ever you decide to pursue.

Mike

Back