• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Arctic/Offshore Patrol Ship AOPS

SeaKingTacco said:
If you are not putting a hangar on the ship, you are not assigning it a helicopter- period.  It would be unserviceable in short order being exposed to the elements.

Actually I think they intend to have a hangar in order to operate a CH148

SRD-740 The AOPS shall have a flight deck and hangar to
operate and shelter one CH-148 Cyclone helicopter.

The CH148 will bring a pretty robust ASW capability to the AOPS. As long as they have magazines for the torpedoes.

Not sure what they plan.

It also says on their website that they want 1 maintenance and one flight crew, which, is strange because the 1 flight crew would be a departure from our normal detachment concept. Not sure if they have talked to anyone at 12 Wing.

They're also using a civilian-pattern Bell 212 for planning purposes and have a reference to CHC and civilian crews. Maybe they're planning to lease the helos.

Looks like I was wrong. SKT had it right in the first place.

Despite what the website says, a more up to date brief indicates the AOPs will most likely not have a hangar for the CH148.

I would think in this day and age some counter measures and some missile capability would make sense. Hell almost every tinpot navy has missile boats.

Not suitable for ice but gives you an idea what others are building.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamina_class_missile_boat

And a massive range of 500NM... interesting, but unsuitable for anything beyond a training role for Canada

Colin P said:
I would think in this day and age some counter measures and some missile capability would make sense. Hell almost every tinpot navy has missile boats.

Cronicbny said:
And a massive range of 500NM... interesting, but unsuitable for anything beyond a training role for Canada

Why does it seem like we always plan to build half-assed boats?

Edit: To clarify.

Personally I dislike people who have very little idea of what they are talking about, commenting on things they know very little about.

sledge said:
Personally I dislike people who have very little idea of what they are talking about, commenting on things they know very little about.

Got a specific beef ?

Yes I do actually. People who think small missile boats are a great idea for Canadian waters. As well, who plans a half-assed boat?

cheeky_monkey said:
Why does it always seem like we always plan to build half-assed boats?
Colin P said:

Thats my bad, I quoted the wrong thing.

It was the 500 NM I was trying to get at. Just as a regular patrol, without prepostioned fuel, you would only be able to go out 250 NM. Thats not exactly a patrol ship. More a pleasure boat. With a gun or two.  ::)

As well, if some "tin pot" navy can get missle boats, why can't we? Isn't that why we have arms races, to get to the same level, or higher, of a belligerent's capability?

Edit: To add.

We have ships with missiles. Thats my point. We can't use bathtub toys to deliver them, we need big ships to get them there.

Why does it seem like we always plan to build half-assed boats?

What half assed boats do we have now? Please show me the perfect ship. If you are referring to the MCDVs, yeah they have their issues but you know what, they did a stellar job for the Reserves for what they need to do. They also gave us a degree of mine warfare capability.

As for having missile boats i.e. IDF SAAR types, good luck in having them for the Atlantic and the Pacific. We need OPVs with a decent gun. When you start adding missiles for the Arctic you over complicate things.

MCDVs are great for MARS 4 training...shallow draft and manoeuvrability (thanks to Z-drives) makes it suitable for navigation training (and pissing off BC Ferries)  ;D

Why I think alot of people complain about the MCDVs is because they are often trying to use them as patrol boats but they we're designed as a Minesweeper. No need for a minesweeper to do 30 knots.

Mine countermeasures was one of its functions.

http://www.naval-technology.com/projects/kingston/

sledge said:
We have ships with missiles. Thats my point. We can't use bathtub toys to deliver them, we need big ships to get them there.

The Finnish boat shown was demonstrate a point that almost every other country feels that smaller vessels should be heavily armed. this particular boat is designed with Finlands short coastline and likely enemy in mind. Consider the effect that the Hezbollah had with their anti-ship missile hit on the IDF Corvette, it shows that this is a likely possibility to encounter, as much as I like guns on ships, having a missile armed vessel means it can have a wider area of effect and not required to close to closely with an adversary.

The MCDV are leaps and bounds ahead of their predecessors and I commend the people that made sure they were armed, clearly a 180 degree change in thinking and a beginning.

The "experts" in the world thought it was a great idea to remove all of the guns on their ships as they wouldn't be needed, funny how quickly they changed their minds when the poop hit the fan. I am a belt and braces type. Even if the vessels are equipped for but not always armed with missiles means the capacity will be available if needed.

Ex-Dragoon said:
When you start adding missiles for the Arctic you over complicate things.
Colin P said:
Even if the vessels are equipped for but not always armed with missiles means the capacity will be available if needed.

Would it be feasible to do that?

Ex-Dragoon said:
What half assed boats do we have now? Please show me the perfect ship.

Unfortunately, you're right, the perfect ship will never exist. But we can try to build the best possible. Settling for 2nd is never a good defence policy.

Cheeky...Sometimes you have to settle for 2nd when the alternative is nothing at all. We all want the best but come on the financial realities of military procurement will always raise its ugly head. if you sailed on a ship that was half assed can you tell me which one and why you feel it was half assed?

As for the first part of your post there are plenty of instances where ships are fitted for but do not carry a specific weapon system so it is definitely feasible.

Back