• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Applications to join foreign forces (Britian and Australia)

Pieman

Army.ca Veteran
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Like my new Ninja Sniper avatar? Ninja Snipers are one of the most elite forces. To become one, you have to have the following requirements: 1) You cannot have any real military experience. 2) You have to pass Ninja Sniper training. (I hope you have XBox). If you match these requirements and want to become part of the most elite killing machines in the world, the Ninja Sniper, then PM me to find out how.   :blotto:
LOL, it is late and I drank about 2L of Pepsi tonight. Bzzzz   :D   Anyway, onto my real post:

Canadian citizen application into British or Australian forces:

I have done a lot of research into this topic, I do not claim to be an expert or anything, but I think this information is worth sharing.   As Canadians, we are commonwealth citizens, and it is possible for us to serve in other commonwealth countries.

Application to Britain

http://www.army.mod.uk/

For us Ninja Snipers, the good news is that it is possible for us to directly apply to the UK forces from Canada.   If you are applying for an officer position within the UK, then they will require you to live in the UK during the selection process. This can take up to 6 months and you are expected to be able to support yourself during that time. (Get a cheap apartment and a job at Dairy Queen, if nothing else I guess)

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/working_in_the_uk/en/homepage/schemes_and_programmes/hsmp.html?

If you intend to stay in the UK longer than 3 months you need a visiting permit. To apply for a UK visiting permit, contact the UK embassy here in Canada.

http://www.britain-in-canada.org/home.htm

Application to Australia: (Special thanks to Wes for providing links to some info)

http://www.defence.gov.au/index.cfm

If you are a Ninja Sniper with no Military experience, the road to getting into the Australian Defence Force (ADF) is a difficult one. This is because you have to obtain a permanent resident status with immigration authority in Aus. This means you don't just get a work permit, you must go through the process of migration to the country. That process takes two years , and you have to be living in Australia during that time. That means you have to get a work/study permit and go there.

Getting a work permit for Australia does not appear to be a cake walk. If you do not have a university degree, you could be in for a long wait to get a work permit approved. The application appears to be straight forward, but I was not able to find out the odds of being approved.

If you have a university degree, then there is an interesting option available: It is the special skills migration program. This is a program set up by the AUS government to encourage educated people to settle there. You put your name in a data base, and then a company can come along and pick your name out. (Or rather you convince a company to hire you and have them do that later) And if you are offered a job then you will be issued a 2 year work visa.

http://www.immi.gov.au/migrate/skilled.htm

By far, the best method   to get over there is to go by a student visa. It is super easy to get a student visa, and it would be interesting to study there. After studying there for a while, you could try and convince a company to hire you and it would be easier to get a work permit that way.

Bottom line, once you get a permanent resitdent status, THEN you can make your application into the ADF.

Military Experience: For those of you with military experience, past or present, then it is much easier for you to get in. You do not have to wait to get a permanent resident status. There are several different options. If you are interested, simply email the ADF recruiting center and they will provide you with info. (I did not look into this too deep because I am only a Ninja Sniper...they said that Ninja Snipers weren't real or some crazy thing like that! Can you believe that??)

Anyway, I realise the information here is not exhaustive, I felt it was worth sharing because I wanted you guys to know that joining one of these forces is an option. Also, I wanted you to know how you would go about doing it, and the problems you would expect. I hope it helped.

I actually spoke with two recruiters from the British Army and they gave me the impression that no work permit was needed; the British military would apparently take care of everything.  All I would need is a travel visa that did not expire before I was enrolled.

Perhaps things have changed, perhaps they were misinformed.

It's easier than you think to get into the British Army.  I had an officer practically set me up for Sandhurst in an Artic tent in the middle of the Balkans.

Interesting. Reading the paperwork they gave me, it stated quite clearly that if you did not have this work permit your application will be rejected outright.
I will email them again and see what they say about this.

I think I may still have an application for the British Army lying around somewhere, if I can find it, I'll post whatever it has on it for a Canadian who wants to enlist. From what I remember though, all you had to do was fill out the application, everything will be done by mail, and for your testing you'd have to fly over to  England, find your own place to live, etc to do your tests. The Brits will not compensate you though for your trip, etc as far as I know.  Maybe something can be set up at the british part of WATC to do your tests, etc ? Make it a lot easier an cheaper then to fly to the UK.

One thing that you don't mention about Britain; they don't take dual citizens, that is to say, anything other than Britain-xxxxxx.

Someone like myself, with dual Canadian/Australian citizenship is ineligable to serve in the British Army, not sure about Marines though. You would actually have to formally renounce one of your citizenships though.

null, as far as I know, no military will take you if your a dual citizen, your have to denounce one of your citizenship's to enlist.

I stand corrected. I spoke with a British Army recruiter and the information I had written above about needing a work permit to join the UK army was incorrect. You need an entry visa of any kind, and all a Canadian need to enter the country is a Canadain passport. The source of confusion was in the application package that stated one needed a work permit, which is only true for certain countries, not Canada. Makes things easier!

I have corrected the information I gave in the original post.

That is really strange that the UK forces won't take you if you are Canadian-Australian dual nationality.  The UK military accepts commonwealth citizens, and both Canada and Australia are commonwealth countries.  And if you are a citizen of both, then you already owe allegience to The Queen - twice!  I don't see why owing her allegience a third time would cause any turmoil.

A long long time ago I looked into what would be required to join an Australian police force.  The mounds of paperwork needed for a Canadian who is not already a police officer (or even one who is) seemed absolutely pointless.  I suppose their military is different, as I'm sure some of the qualifications carry over, or at least keep you on the same page as everyone else.  Funny enough, it's dead easy to come here to good ol' Canada and join the police, but they've made it tougher to join the army if you are not a citizen.  Are they still accepting applications to the CF for landed immigrants?  I had heard they stopped this recently.

Also, I don't think (but am not sure) that the Royal Marines recruiting requirements are any different than the Royal Navy, and the Royal Navy has the same nationality standards as the Army and RAF, last time I checked.  The Marines are, of course, considered a part of the Navy (although their selection courses are much tougher, as HRH Prince Edward found out).

nULL said:
One thing that you don't mention about Britain; they don't take dual citizens, that is to say, anything other than Britain-xxxxxx.

Someone like myself, with dual Canadian/Australian citizenship is ineligable to serve in the British Army, not sure about Marines though. You would actually have to formally renounce one of your citizenships though.

Bollocks.  I hold Canadian, Irish, and British citizenship and had no trouble joining the CF.  I also flirted with joining the RM and the RAF at various points.  The RM and RAF, according to what I was told, only take British citizens who have resided in the UK for at least five years, though they do make exceptions, and both services were willing to do so for me.

Not bollocks, though there is alot of misinformation floating around in here. I just emailed a brit army recruiter and this is what I got. Hopefully this will clear it up.

"Hi, thank you for the email

I am sorry but as you are a duel national you are not able to apply for service in the British Army.  The rule on this is that the only duel citizenship that is acceptable is if you are UK/Commonwealth.

WO2 Doug Kershaw
Online Office"

As for being ONLY a brit citizen to join the marine commandos, not true either. There are MANY foreign nationals (NZ, AUS, CAN) currently serving, and I can back it up with a URL to a webboard.
It would be great to get real clarity on what is necessary, but the recruiters DO NOT deal with immigration issues, they will tell you to go bother the Home Office.

The Brit Army and Navy are not like the CF apparently, where you only need apply once. Both have different standards, and the army one came right from the horse's mouth. The only option is to volunarily renounce one of your citizenships. Though I agree, Canada and Australia are both Commonwealth...what's the big deal? Everybody knows that REAL Commonwealth citizens swear allegiance to the queen 3 times.

nULL said:
Not bollocks, though there is alot of misinformation floating around in here. I just emailed a brit army recruiter and this is what I got. Hopefully this will clear it up.

"Hi, thank you for the email

I am sorry but as you are a duel national you are not able to apply for service in the British Army.   The rule on this is that the only duel citizenship that is acceptable is if you are UK/Commonwealth.

WO2 Doug Kershaw
Online Office"

The Royal Army website says as long as one of your citizenships is British, it doesn't matter what the other is. When asked: I am a dual national - UK/USA. Can I join?
The reply given is: Yes, provided one of those nationalities is British you are eligible to apply.

Another question asks: I am a European citizen. Can I join the British Army?
Answer: Unless you have a dual nationality one of which must be British your application unfortunately cannot be accepted.

I fired off an enquiry to an RM recruiter and they're practically at my door trying to get me over, well not literally but you get the idea.
I must say it does feel nice to be actively sought after, rather than getting some bugger at the CFRC who couldn't give two shytes what you want to do. :D
I'm a dual British-Canadian however so the situation is different.
If you're really interested, I can't see them outright rejecting you, they are looking for something to stuff in the cannons.

Anyone else thinking of doing anything like this, or who  has already done something like this, post your experience here.

Well I gave it some thought and I decided that I would go ahead and formally apply to the UK and see what happens. Might as well have as many options as possible.
I have submitted an application to the British Army, and the British Airforce (For a type of Paratrooper division).

My application to the CF was submitted about 6 months ago now...wonder if the UK will still beat them?

I will update my experience with this here so anyone else applying will have some info.

Uh you do know that you have to actually go over to the UK for the medical, physical and test(s) for the application process and pay your own way...just an FYI

As well, their physical standards are much much higher; go look on some UK army boards....you have people asking if60 pressups will be enough, whereas on this board some have asked if under 19 is ok. Also, the running standards seem higher initially as well. Para recruits for instance are encouraged to be able to run 4 miles, 8 min/mile.

If you're not in the CF yet, you should consider staying in Canada. Perhaps you'll find what you're looking for in life within the CF, and at the very least you'll get in decent shape, or find out where you are.  As mentoned above, you WILL have to pay your own way. It would be a damn shame to go all that way and realize you really needed a few more months in the gym.

belkin81, Null,

Thanks for the heads up, but I am aware of that I will have to pay my own way.   I am sure I can save up enough to do this. I hope I do not have to stay too long. I was reading that officer selection can take 6 months, may have to be crafty and   secure a contract while over there if that is the case.

I am also aware of the harder physical requirements. I believe i am already close to their mininum level, and improving every day. I will make sure, test myself, to make sure I can pass their tests before I hop on a plane. (Better yet, I will laugh at their tests and do all my push ups one handed....but I am dreaming again I think.)  I am not going to do this to meet just  the mininum!

I will stay in Canada if the Forces makes me an offer in a reasonable amount of time. I am not being impatient, but I simply cannot put off a carrer much longer, as I have other commitments I must meet. The British application will take a while, I am not sure what the average time frame for a Canadian applicant is, but probably at least 8 months if I am really really lucky.

Hopefully the CF application will come through, however the prospect of living in another country again does have it's appeal. This is all talk right now, we'll see what happens.

Infanteer said:
It's easier than you think to get into the British Army.   I had an officer practically set me up for Sandhurst in an Artic tent in the middle of the Balkans.

I had an officer practically set me up....in an Artic tent in the middle of the Balkans. Sounds a tad kinky to me, you gotta watch those Brits.  ::)

The rules about joing the Brits based on what's posted here seem to change. The only advice is check wuith them before making the trip. You don't want to pack and move on the advice  of " something somebody I don't know on the net told me." England's too bloody and cold and damp for that.

Fortunately we do have a resident Aussie on the board who may be able to do the research if you ask nice and offer to buy him beers when you get there.

Considered it myself when I was younger. In fact in the late 1970's there was a plot afoot in the Seaforths for almost all of B Coy to join the British parent regiment. Someone had worked it out that we'd get there just before they deployed to Hong Kong for a 3 year tour.

Great Post,

But let me get this straight,

I was born in Poland and i came to Canada 16 years ago and i have a Canadian citizenship. My Polish passport expired like 2 years ago and i have no means to fill for a new one. Anyway would i still be able to join the british army?? I am interested in the Para regiment also. I think physically i am ready for the British military but i am hopeing that me being born in Poland won't screw things up. Will there be any complications? If so what can i do. I am very eager to join, was planning to join the CF military like next week but this topic made me thinking.

Thx

As for being a dual citizen, I am Australian and Canadian, and I know many British and Kiwis who still hold two passports (plus a few Cdns too). Nothing about surrendereing any. Although my Cdn passport has been expired for years, I have never heard or read of anyone from the British Commonweath having to surrender ones dual citrizenship.

The key to getting into the ADF when I signed on was a residentail visa, which firstly is NOT cheap, and yes then, hard to obtain. One this is obtained, and if you meet the criteria to enlist, then you must apply for Australian citizenship within 90 days of being elegible, or you will be discharged. One signs a contract when you enlist to do this. So you do two yrs as a foreigner. I applied for my citizenship (yes another fee) the same day i became elegible.

It aint no cakewalk, coming here is a total life change, and a total restart and all that it represents. Its about learning all over agian, coping abuse at times, it about finally realising that your friends and family are in excess of 20,000km away, and only then does one realise how precious these things really are. Its about sacrifice, and maybe getting back to Canada every few yrs or so. I have not been back in 4 yrs, and I arrive in Vancouver on Canada Day at 1000hrs, and i'll be back in The Pearl of the Prairie (Regina) for the evening fireworks on the banks of Wascan lake that night. I plan to really take it all in this time, visiting my aging D-day Uncles and soaking up that northern sun and using the extened daylight (here its dark well before 1700 AEST.

Yes I live near the beach, yes I love the long summers and cold beers, and yes every beach is topless! I enjoy all the funky wildlife like the parrots ( no robins here),  the roos, snakes and spiders, plus the praying mantids who are 15cm long and living in my garden, but dont miss the cold winters, but here I have become climatised, and now when its 8 or 9C outside I shiver like I was born here. Although recently on Ex, I was caught having a shave and wash wearning my army boxers and t-hsirt when it was about 1C out, and all the lads thought I was nuts. There has also been many time I have worn my CF arctic parka (only in the night) to keep warm too, as the cold here really goes to your bones.

Whats the first thing I am gonna do when I get to Regina? Go to Houston Pizza on Hill Ave for a Bacon Double Cheese! Its been 4 yrs since I had a Molsons Cdn!

Personally, for me my citizenship is wear my heart is, and that is in Australian, although  I never truly forget my past 
proud past from a great nation, my family and friends, after almost 10yrs, Australia is my home now, and for any out ther who have followed the same path as myself, you know and honestly understand what I am saying. There is something truly magical about this place which in some way after all my years, I truly have found my place. The only negitve thing is teh over abundant gun control and restrictions on legal gun owners. That I dont like at all. I have been here since Jan 1995, and I have yet to fire one shot recreationally! I miss that heaps.

Female wise, they outnumber us blokes here, and they have a thing for Cdn men, so when I was single I was never EVER without a date, but yrs ago, I settled with what I consider to be the perfect woman, who loves the beach. Yes she's blonde slim and attractive, and fulfills that perfect Aussie female image we all often wonder about. Its a bonus she tolerates me and my bad habits, and in this catagory, I truly have won the lotto.

So, as for coming from a British Commonwealth country, no problems. Australia allows its citizens to hold dual nationality, but only until recently, if you were born Australian, and if, say moved to Canada, and became a Cdn citizen, then you would have had to choose, but thats all changed now.

Another interesting thing or catch, is if say you are a citizen of a country, say Greece, Italy, etc, who have national service (compulsory mil svc) and you are of military age, anf have yet to serve, and even a member of the ADF, and you end up in one of these countries, then there might be a problem, as there has been cases of military age Aussies with dual citizenship, being held in these countries until they do their national service.

In some cases even born in Australia from parents a certain nationality, and if they are both the same, you are automatically also a citizen of that country, and ones ignorance before travelling on holiday can really become a problem.

try www.seesydney.com ( a good site if you plan to travel here "Cole have a look") www.bribie.com.au (where I will be living once posted in Jan 05) www.ourshire.com.au (where I live now).

As for today, its a public holiday, so even though it has not cracked 10C yet, its sunny out. we will be outside for the day.

Excuse any silly spelling mistakes, as for the next little while I cant edit my own posts.

Cheers from another winterey Sydney day,

Wes

Back