• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ANSWERED - Navy Berths... or BUNKS... or RACKS... or Places to Sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.

ryanvms

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, everyone, I am currently considering entering the navy as a NCM, and I have a quick question about the birth size. I read somewhere that enlisted births are 6'x3', I am rather tall at 6'3". Are the length of the births on board ship only 6' long, because that would probably be a little short for me. Also, what about submarines, would I not be able to serve on them because I would be hitting my head on everything?
Thanks

Edited by CSA 105 for topic spelling

I believe the subject should be corrected to "Navy BERTHS". Otherwise, a birth of 6'x3' would be exceedingly difficult for anyone  >:D

HighlandIslander said:
I believe the subject should be corrected to "Navy BERTHS". Otherwise, a birth of 6'x3' would be exceedingly difficult for anyone  >:D

Berth isn't right either.  A berth is a particular location where you secure a ship on a jetty.  It may be correct by dictionary definition to refer to a bed as a berth, but nobody I know in the Navy refers to it as a berth.

The word you're looking for is bunk (or rack, or cart, or fartsack, or any of a number of other choice expressions).  ;D

I know quite a few guys in the Navy that are 6'4" and upwards, so I can pretty much guarantee the mattresses are longer than 6'.

Occam,

In retrospect, I'm aware that "bunk" would be the more appropriate term, however that would deprive me of my opportunity to make a marginally (at best) witty remark.

HighlandIslander said:
In retrospect, I'm aware that "bunk" would be the more appropriate term, however that would deprive me of my opportunity to make a marginally (at best) witty remark.

Sorry.  My bad...  ;)

yea, I was a little unsure of the actual name but i figured you guys would understand. Anybody have an answer?

ryanvms said:
yea, I was a little unsure of the actual name but i figured you guys would understand. Anybody have an answer?

I thought I did.   ;D

For the record, I am 6' 2" and there was plenty of room for me.  Whoever told you about 6" 6' bunks was in error.  I cannot speak to submarines.

Edit: unit of measure

oh yea i see it now. I was just skimming and u were talking like a dictionary so i skipped it. sorry bout that. Thanks alot, that was almost like a deal breaker for me.

Topic has been answered and therefore locked

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back