• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Another CAN Journalist Nabbed, This Time in PAK

abo said:
Detesting her views or opinions is fine. But I think its hardly fitting to wish ill on someone who is expressing their beliefs (as offensive/ignorant as they may be). Especially seeing as how we pride ourselves on our enlightened stance on free speech.

I agree with you whole heartedly. But advocating murder as a means of resolving problems goes beyond rational expression of one's beliefs. Once that line is crossed, everything changes.

Is it possible she is a part of a fake kidnapping?  An attempt at financing?

I don't care where she is, and the longer she is there, the less she is in Canada.  win/win. 

abo said:
Ya i hope she gets out safely.

Detesting her views or opinions is fine. But I think its hardly fitting to wish ill on someone who is expressing their beliefs (as offensive/ignorant as they may be). Especially seeing as how we pride ourselves on our enlightened stance on free speech.

My thoughts anyway...

TFB, my heart pumps purple panther piss for her.  She, by her own choice and for fame and fortune has been actively giving comfort and aid to the enemy during wartime.  She is no better than Lord Hawhaw, or Tokyo Rose or any other Quisling.  Baghdad Beverley got herself into this.  She can get herself out of it too.  I don't want my tax dollars spent on the likes of her.  Bad enough We have wasted ã cent on the Khadars.

jollyjacktar said:
TFB, my heart pumps purple panther piss for her.  She, by her own choice and for fame and fortune has been actively giving comfort and aid to the enemy during wartime.  She is no better than Lord Hawhaw, or Tokyo Rose or any other Quisling.  Baghdad Beverley got herself into this.  She can get herself out of it too.  I don't want my tax dollars spent on the likes of her.  Bad enough We have wasted ã cent on the Khadars.

Well, aside from Tokyo Rose being in Japan when things went balls up and not actively heading there after the war started; kinda puts her in a similar boat as the POWs she worked with.

Kat Stevens said:
Bollocks.  The most Canada should do is agree to pay the postage when they mail her head back. *

* The opinion expressed in this post is not necessarily that of the management of this web site.  It is for entertainment purposes only, and should in no way be interpreted as an incitement to a beheading.  Therefore, the author accepts no personal liability, should such an event occur.

But why would you want it back?  If it's COD, I think the shipment should be refused and Returned To Sender  ;)

Don't forget the "fragile" sticker, couriers LOVE the fragile sticker.

Cheers

Folks, look on the plus side; while Canada is saving her skin, I'm sure we'll be able to get a considerable amount of information related to whatever group(s) are responsible.  Who knows, there may even be a few double-taps round the room as she is removed from the belligerents' custody -- Facta non verba.

chanman said:
Well, aside from Tokyo Rose being in Japan when things went balls up and not actively heading there after the war started; kinda puts her in a similar boat as the POWs she worked with.  

Yes, your right from that perspective.  She did have her tit in the wringer somewhat. 
At least they hung Joyce afterwards.  He was a bonifide traitor.

Kat Stevens said:
Bollocks.  The most Canada should do is agree to pay the postage when they mail her head back. *

* The opinion expressed in this post is not necessarily that of the management of this web site.  It is for entertainment purposes only, and should in no way be interpreted as an incitement to a beheading.  Therefore, the author accepts no personal liability, should such an event occur.

Double bullocks!

But by surface mail, its cheaper than air  ;D

Sweet irony  >:D 

Highlights mine, shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

Captors suspect Canadian 'a spy'
Taliban militants believed to be behind abduction of journalist in northern Pakistan

Mohsin Abbas, Toronto Star, 21 Nov 08
Article link

Taliban militants, suspected of abducting a Canadian freelance journalist in northern Pakistan last week, are holding her because they think she is a spy, according to officials in the region.

No groups have taken responsibility for kidnapping Beverley Giesbrecht, 54, of West Vancouver, along with her translator and a personal assistant.

But Pakistani news reports said militants loyal to Taliban commander Hafiz Gul Bahadur are holding her in North-West Frontier Province.

Kamran Khan, a member of the National Assembly of Pakistan representing North Waziristan, denied media reports the three were abducted for ransom.

"All efforts are being made to secure Giesbrecht's freedom. We are trying our best for her release by co-ordinating with local officials," Khan said in an interview from Peshawar.

"There is not a single incident of kidnapping any journalist for ransom in my region," he added.

Ehsan Ullah, a journalist in Mir Ali, a community about 70 kilometres from Jani Khel where Giesbrecht was abducted, said the Taliban are attempting to confirm that the Canadian woman is a legitimate journalist, and not someone gathering information for U.S. or Pakistan governments ....

More on link

I do not see why she is even considered a journalist...  That gives her credibility.  Hope she gets back and changes her tune after her "trip"

http://www.ctvbc.ctv.ca/servlet/an/local/CTVNews/20090109/BC_journalist_random_090109/20090109/?hub=BritishColumbiaHome
Kidnappers want $150,000 to release B.C. journalist
Fri Jan. 09 2009
ctvbc.ca

VANCOUVER —
There are reports that the kidnappers of a Canadian freelance journalist taken in Pakistan have made ransom demands.

The English-language Pakistani News International, citing unnamed sources, reported that the kidnappers want the equivalent of about $150,000 and the release of their colleagues from the Bagram jail in Afghanistan, in exchange for the release of Beverly Giesbrecht.

Giesbrecht, also known as Khadija Abdul Qahaar, was taken at gunpoint in November along with her translator and guide in the Bannu district in northwest Pakistan.

Her long-time friend Glen Cooper said he has hope for her safe return now that there's been a ransom demand.

"As long as it's looking more like a business (deal) rather than some rare event, then it gives me some mild optimism that she will be viewed as an asset," he said.

He said he doesn't know how the request for the release of jailed comrades would impact any deal.

"The only problem is that if at some point they feel there's not asset here, then what happens?" he asked.

Andre Lemay, a spokesman for the Foreign Affairs Ministry, said Friday that Canadian officials in Pakistan had not yet heard about the ransom demand.

Canada's general policy is not to pay ransom.

But Lemay said every case is different, especially if a person is kidnapped from an organization or company which may negotiate a payment.

He doesn't know who the ransom demand would be addressed to in Giesbrect's case.

Cooper, who has know Giesbrecht for two decades, referred to her as both Bev and Khadija during a telephone interview.

She converted to Islam in 2002 and adopted her new name after doing research on the reasons behind the 9/11 terror attacks.

She published Jihad Unspun, a now defunct website that was critical of the U.S.-led war on terror.

In a note posted on the website before it was pulled, Giesbrecht wrote that she launched the website "to give voice to the other side of (the) war on 'terrorism'."

Cooper was angry that the Internet service provider shut down the website, saying the site may be the best proof of his friend's Muslim identity.

He said he'd offered to pay the outstanding $124 bill in order to keep it up and running, but to no avail.

"It struck me that if the website were viable then this could be used by Bev, possibly as a bargaining chip, if she's having any discussions with her captors at all," he said.

Giesbrecht left Vancouver for London on April 7 and arrived in Lahore, Pakistan, in August. She was reportedly on a freelance assignment for Al Jazeera when she was seized.

However, a spokesman with Al Jazeera refused to either confirm or deny that she was working for the news network.

With files from The Canadian Press

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2009/02/23/bc-freelancer-pakistan-kidnapping.html

New video has surfaced and they were showing it on CBC News. They're still calling her a journalist. 

I can't in good conscience hope she returns sfaely, citizen or not. I'll leave the more graphic details out, but needless to say I hope she ends up staying wherever she is...permanently.

Pro-terrorist Canadian Beverly Giesbrecht aka Khadija Abdul Qahaar is held for ransom by the taliban,how ironic. ;)

Taliban demand $375,000 to free captive Canadian

REHMAT MEHSUD AND MARK HUME

From Friday's Globe and Mail

March 12, 2009 at 9:38 PM EDT

BANNU, PAKISTAN and VANCOUVER — Taliban insurgents active in Pakistan's lawless tribal region have offered to free a Canadian woman held since November in return for a $375,000 (U.S.) ransom.

The demand came in an interview near the Pakistan-Afghanistan border with Qari, a man who preferred to identify himself only by his first name.

Qari says he's a close aide of Gul Bahadur, the Taliban head in the volatile North Waziristan region who is alleged to be responsible for the kidnapping of Beverly Giesbrecht, a West Vancouver woman who was in the area working as a freelance journalist.

Ms. Giesbrecht, 52, also goes by the name, Khadija Abdul Qahaar, after converting to Islam in 2002. She is the publisher of a pro-Islamic website, Jihad Unspun.

Glen Cooper, a close friend of Ms. Giesbrecht's, Thursday declined comment on the report.

Officials at the High Commission for the Islamic Republic of Pakistan, in Ottawa, said they knew nothing of the proposed deal.

Emma Welford, a spokeswoman for Foreign Affairs Canada, said she has “no new information,” but added that Canadian officials have been working with Pakistan to get Ms. Giesbrecht's safe release.

“We are pursuing all appropriate channels,” she said. “We are working to secure the best possible outcome.”

Ms. Giesbrecht was seized at gunpoint along with two local assistants while travelling in the Bannu district, a gateway to the North Waziristan tribal belt, which borders Afghanistan.

Earlier reports had the Taliban offering her release in return for a large cash payment and a prisoner exchange.

But Qari said money alone could now secure her release.

“Once negotiators approach the Taliban … then definitely they will work out the timing and conditions for her release,” he said.

Qari said the demand for the release of Taliban prisoners detained elsewhere in Pakistan or Afghanistan was dropped in order to speed up a transaction.

It is believed the abducted Canadian woman is being kept somewhere on the border region of North Waziristan.

“She is safe and sound, for she is very precious for us. She has the freedom to interact with our female folk, whom she has got used to. Inshallah [God willing], she will not be harmed and we are confident that our demand will be accepted by the concerned government,” Qari said.

“She is provided with the best available facilities including food, medical care,” he said, although he acknowledged he had not seen her himself.

“She seems to be very encouraged with the reports that Taliban will spare her life in exchange for ransom,” he said.

The Canadian hostage is a sensitive issue in the area, with most of locals refusing to speak on the matter.

People in the area have been decapitated for allegedly being “spies for U.S forces.”

A local man, with a thick black beard and turban, said people have been told not to discuss “her abduction issue or her whereabouts.”

Weary tribesmen in the region are feeling greater insecurity because of a growing number of kidnappings and ongoing attacks by U.S. drones on suspected Taliban strongholds.

“If the tribesmen offer Taliban any food or even shake hands with them then the Pakistani security forces label them as sympathizers … But on the other hand when we provide [Pakistan] security forces … with drinking water, then the Taliban consider us as their foes,” said a Waziri tribesman, requesting not to be named.

There have been recent reports that a spate of kidnappings of Pakistani and foreign officials in the area have been triggered by the Taliban's need for money.

Muhammad Haroon, a local tribesman, said the Taliban are facing serious financial constraints at a time when their rivals are also under the grip of global financial crunch.

Some circles within the hard-line militia say Taliban leader Mullah Omar has issued directives to Pakistan-based Taliban heads to stop internal conflicts and concentrate on ejecting foreign forces from Afghanistan.

Strange....I don't hear any wailing and gnashing of teeth, the papers are not flooded with MSM crocodile tears......they might have to lower their price....

She has violated sharia law by being with men who are not related to her. She could be stoned.  :o

So, is the ransom $375,000 or $150,000?

I hope that not one cent or drop of Canadian blood is shed to bring her back. Revoke her citizenship.

Back