• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Announcemnt by Minister of National Defence

milnewstbay said:
Ottawa needs a solution (what are we doing, dagnabit?!?)

Ottawa gets solution (nix participation in an ex, send a few people to Kosovo)

Therefore, Ottawa (hopes to be seen as) acting.

I do not see how Kosovo and Georgia are even related?  Something tells me that the 12 indivduals who are going to Kosovo knew about their deployment long before the announcement was made.

Even if the deployment was planned before hand,  the nature of the press release and the participation of the Minister was clearly directed to a particular audience,  in the Kremlin, not in Canada. 

The Russian reaction to Georgia's attempts to re-assert control over Ossetia was a message itself in two parts.  The first was to the "near abroad" of the former Soviet/Russian empire, reminding them that Russia does not consider their independence to be absolute.  The second part was to NATO, advising them that Russia's self-declared interests in regions like Serbia  cannot be ignored, as it believed NATO did when it allowed Kosovo's independence.

Canada's announcement, re-affirming our committment to Kosovar independence and  our active participation in NATO's promotion of that independence is a message back to Russia in that second message.  Even if a small gesture, the Russians will understand what it means.  (Mind you, they may not notice right away since they are going to be having fits of various sizes over the defiance of Poland and Ukraine.)

the 48th regulator said:
:o

Further in the news, they may be armed, wear uniforms, and have a head dress the colour of blue....

Not entirely correct...they will be armed and wearing a headress of a colour other than blue. (NATO, not UN)

Dolphin_Hunter said:
I do not see how Kosovo and Georgia are even related? 

You do not see why, because you are not in DFAIT. While we soldiers are conversant to the macro nuances of the world, micro-nuances are not really our experiese.

The answer you seek is that Kosovo is in the Russian's percieved circle of influence.

Back